Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
One iteration of Corecycler/ycruncher complete at -40 CO on my 7950X. Hadn't really even considered trying that low until recently since Zen 3 maxed out at -30. Lots of room in the v/f curve on this initial batch of chips it seems. I don't have any PBO boost clock increase enabled though, it's hitting 5725 MHz single core which is good enough for me.

My early batch 5900X couldn't even do -10 ...

edit: -40 locked up eventually. Too lazy to figure out what core it was so -30 it is.

Ah, but now you must try -35.;)

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Ah, but now you must try -35.;)

Ha! I would, but I don't mind running a little further away from the edge of stability. I'll probably run it daily at -25 in fact just to be sure.

Anyway, new BIOS out for X670E Taichi -- 1.11AS06. This one was really terrible for me. It booted like two or three times and then gave up with a C5 debug code (not even listed in the manual) and wouldn't boot again no matter how many times I reset the CMOS. Even worse, it wouldn't boot once I did a flashback back to 1.11AS03. I had to put my Samsung DDR5 sticks in and then it started right up, and also started right up once I put my new Hynix sticks back in after that. Must have really screwed up the memory training somehow. I am going to be a lot more careful with updates from now on.

It does allow for tREFI adjustments I noticed, finally. I'll wait for a stable release before updating again though.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
OK guys, i am about to pull a trigger on my 7950x/rtx4090 build. Few questions i have:

- i want to order Kryonaut paste for CPU. I however need to use it to repaste my current rig´s CPU cooler as well, which i will most likely sell, but its throttling currently under allcore load, so it needs to be done. Anyway, how much do i need? Its sold in 1g packages - is that enough for both coolers? Or do i buy 2, one for each cooler? Alternatively, there is 11g package, or should i buy that one?

- i am looking at G-Skill Trident 64GB 6000MHz CL30. Truth to be told, its rather expensive - 610 EUROs without VAT. As an alternative, i could get either Kingston Fury or Corsair Vengeance, both 5600MHz CL40 - for 340 or 330 EUROs respectively. The question is, what should i do? Is the 300 EUROs price increase worth it in your opinion? Obviously, i want it to be as fast as it can be, but if the difference is like less than 5 percent of performance, in other words negligible, then i guess i will be content with cheaper version.

- Win10 or Win11? Currently running Win10 version 1903 (cause of the borked auto-updader), but all my working apps work just fine. Should i risk it and go with newer 11 or stick to whats working for me and possibly update to 11 down the road, when there wont be any other way?

- i am planning to get 2x 4090. Hopefully the connector issue will be resolved before they arrive, i am yet to place an order. Ultimately, i am looking at Gainward Phantom one and MSI Liquid Suprim. MSI i will mount into top slot (the mobo will be Asus Hero) and the Gainward into bottom one. There should remain 2 free slots between the cards this way, but only about half slot under the bottom card (there will be that PSU shroud underneath). Do you think it would be better to go with Asus ProArt board instead, which has 16x slots one slot closer, so there would be only one free slot inbetween the cards, but more free space under the bottom one? Not sure what is more important. From my experience the upper card is always hotter, but i never had watercooled one. So perhaps one slot of free space would be OK there. Additionally, i can go with Gigabyte Wateforce instead of MSI, which has complete waterblock on VRM too, so no other fan.

For the moment i am siding with Hero board, as bigger gap between the slots gives bigger freedom - it could fit even 2x 3 and half slot air-cooled cards, unlike ProArt, if for some reason i decided that way.. Which to be fair, would be my preference, as it would be easier to sell air-cooled one down the road, but i am kinda afraid half slot between these cards would end up with upper card too hot and loud. Currently having 3090 + 2080Ti in such setup, and while its acceptable, its far from ideal. And 4090 is even bigger and draws more power.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK guys, i am about to pull a trigger on my 7950x/rtx4090 build. Few questions i have:

- i want to order Kryonaut paste for CPU. I however need to use it to repaste my current rig´s CPU cooler as well, which i will most likely sell, but its throttling currently under allcore load, so it needs to be done. Anyway, how much do i need? Its sold in 1g packages - is that enough for both coolers? Or do i buy 2, one for each cooler? Alternatively, there is 11g package, or should i buy that one?

- i am looking at G-Skill Trident 64GB 6000MHz CL30. Truth to be told, its rather expensive - 610 EUROs without VAT. As an alternative, i could get either Kingston Fury or Corsair Vengeance, both 5600MHz CL40 - for 340 or 330 EUROs respectively. The question is, what should i do? Is the 300 EUROs price increase worth it in your opinion? Obviously, i want it to be as fast as it can be, but if the difference is like less than 5 percent of performance, in other words negligible, then i guess i will be content with cheaper version.

- Win10 or Win11? Currently running Win10 version 1903 (cause of the borked auto-updader), but all my working apps work just fine. Should i risk it and go with newer 11 or stick to whats working for me and possibly update to 11 down the road, when there wont be any other way?

- i am planning to get 2x 4090. Hopefully the connector issue will be resolved before they arrive, i am yet to place an order. Ultimately, i am looking at Gainward Phantom one and MSI Liquid Suprim. MSI i will mount into top slot (the mobo will be Asus Hero) and the Gainward into bottom one. There should remain 2 free slots between the cards this way, but only about half slot under the bottom card (there will be that PSU shroud underneath). Do you think it would be better to go with Asus ProArt board instead, which has 16x slots one slot closer, so there would be only one free slot inbetween the cards, but more free space under the bottom one? Not sure what is more important. From my experience the upper card is always hotter, but i never had watercooled one. So perhaps one slot of free space would be OK there. Additionally, i can go with Gigabyte Wateforce instead of MSI, which has complete waterblock on VRM too, so no other fan.

For the moment i am siding with Hero board, as bigger gap between the slots gives bigger freedom - it could fit even 2x 3 and half slot air-cooled cards, unlike ProArt, if for some reason i decided that way.. Which to be fair, would be my preference, as it would be easier to sell air-cooled one down the road, but i am kinda afraid half slot between these cards would end up with upper card too hot and loud. Currently having 3090 + 2080Ti in such setup, and while its acceptable, its far from ideal. And 4090 is even bigger and draws more power.
First what cooler for the 7950x ? I have both a Dark Rock pro 4 and a arctic cooler 420 and they both are fine.

Not sure on the paste. I use as4. Has plenty for like 4 applications.

Don't get the slow ram. You NEED the 6000 cl30

Win 10

Only get 1 4090, no SLI anymore.

Jul 27, 2020

If your work is more GPU limited, you could go with even DDR5-5200 and the 7950X won't complain. But you still need to keep the GPUs fed with data so make sure you know how much impact the slower RAM could have on that ability of 7950X.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
First what cooler for the 7950x ? I have both a Dark Rock pro 4 and a arctic cooler 420 and they both are fine.

Not sure on the paste. I use as4. Has plenty for like 4 applications.

Don't get the slow ram. You NEED the 6000 cl30

Win 10

Only get 1 4090, no SLI anymore.

Thanks. Cooler will be Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 like yours.
RAM, Win 10, OK, roger that.
GPUs are for archviz rendering and pretty much the most important part of the build, so those will be definitely 2, its only question of money (whether to invest that heavily or get just one and stick to 3090 as the second gpu). If this was about gaming, i would just keep the 3090. I barely play games these days anyway.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks. Cooler will be Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 like yours.
RAM, Win 10, OK, roger that.
GPUs are for archviz rendering and pretty much the most important part of the build, so those will be definitely 2, its only question of money (whether to invest that heavily or get just one and stick to 3090). If this was about gaming, i would just keep the 3090. I barely play games these days anyway.
ahhh. Just make sure your PSU is up to it. Like a 1200 or 1500 or something, and platinum or so. In that case I would just use the 4090 for your other task, and the 3090 for gaming.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007

Dual 4090s sounds tough. Not sure if this is possible but you could consider using the Lian Li Dynamic EVO Case and install 1 GPU vertically on the side of the case with a PCIe riser cable and the other one horizontally in the motherboard.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
ahhh. Just make sure your PSU is up to it. Like a 1200 or 1500 or something, and platinum or so. In that case I would just use the 4090 for your other task, and the 3090 for gaming.

I will go with 1600W one, either Seasonic Platinum or Corsair. Probably Seasonic, as it comes with 2 of those new cables in the package, but will check whether Corsair does not as well. Either way, both should be acceptable choice.

Dual 4090s sounds tough. Not sure if this is possible but you could consider using the Lian Li Dynamic EVO Case and install 1 GPU vertically on the side of the case with a PCIe riser cable and the other one horizontally in the motherboard.

I am looking at Fractal Design 7XL for the moment. Both GPU mounted regular on mobo horizontally. Will check the Lian Li case, if its any better, thanks for heads-up.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

Heh, not sure what the transient spike situation is compared with my 3090 FTW3 Ultra (allegedly 450W, same as the 4090), but I am using a 750W PSU without issue. System power with both loaded is 600-700W.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Killed HWbot :D

Y-CRUNCHER - PI-25M
View attachment 68839

Y-CRUNCHER - PI-1B
View attachment 68840

Y-CRUNCHER - PI-2.5B
View attachment 68841

WPRIME - 32M score
View attachment 68842

WPRIME - 1024M score
View attachment 68843

SUPERPI - 1M score
View attachment 68844
SUPERPI - 32M score
View attachment 68845

7-ZIP score
View attachment 68846

PIFAST score
View attachment 68847

Will be back with improved scores once Asus manage to release a bios that let me run 6400MT/s speed with/or dual rank memory, like the other motherboards supports atm.. ;)
All my scores are done with custom watercooling
Insane! Wow

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
OK, one more question - was looking to get 2x Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB for the new build, but uh-oh, not available right now.
I did read this is the top PCI-E 4 SSD to get, only topped by Samsung 990 Pro, but only slightly - that one however, is not available either. Another good choice would be apparently Solidigm P44 Pro - guess what is the problem there.

So it seems i am only left with WD Black SN850X? Would that be a good alternative?

EDIT: I read now that Kingston KC3000 is rather good as well.

Last edited:

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
OK, one more question - was looking to get 2x Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB for the new build, but uh-oh, not available right now.
I did read this is the top PCI-E 4 SSD to get, only topped by Samsung 990 Pro, but only slightly - that one however, is not available either. Another good choice would be apparently Solidigm P44 Pro - guess what is the problem there.

So it seems i am only left with WD Black SN850X? Would that be a good alternative?
Samsung 980 Pro?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
From what i could gather its older and significantly slower than all the alternatives i meant.
Firecuda 530 - 7300 Read, 6900 Write
Samsung 990 Pro - 7450 Read, 6900 Write
Solodigm P44 - 7000 Read, 6500 Write
Samsung 980 Pro - 7000 Read, 5100 Write
Kingston Fury Renegade - 7300 Read, 7000 Write
Sabrent Rocket 4 - 7000 Read, 6850 Write

While the write speed is slower the read speeds are similar. Does your workflow relay heavily on writes? Maybe wait for Gen 5 drives to come out?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Firecuda 530 - 7300 Read, 6900 Write
Samsung 990 Pro - 7450 Read, 6900 Write
Solodigm P44 - 7000 Read, 6500 Write
Samsung 980 Pro - 7000 Read, 5100 Write
Kingston Fury Renegade - 7300 Read, 7000 Write
Sabrent Rocket 4 - 7000 Read, 6850 Write

While the write speed is slower the read speeds are similar. Does your workflow relay heavily on writes? Maybe wait for Gen 5 drives to come out?
SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD l Up to 7,000MB/S
$260 at amazon

Read speeds up to 7,000 MB/s and write speeds of up to 6,500 MB/s

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

EDIT: I read now that Kingston KC3000 is rather good as well.
That sort of depends. If your motherboard can do pcie 5, then you should wait until the pcie 5 nvne drives are for sale. I'm waiting because they will be double the speeds current drives offer.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
That sort of depends. If your motherboard can do pcie 5, then you should wait until the pcie 5 nvne drives are for sale. I'm waiting because they will be double the speeds current drives offer.

I decided i dont want to wait anymore. If it was couple of days, then ok, but still nothing has been revealed - and IMO probably wont be till CES.
The initial PCIE5 drives will be probably fairly more expensive than what are they replacing. The current price is already max i am willing to pay and between 1TB PCIE5 drive and 2TB PCIE4, for same price, which IMO can easily happen, i am taking PCIE4 all day long.
Finally, its said for home computing you cant really tell difference between various speeds anyway. Not sure how true it is, but i suppose i will be fine even with PCIE4 drives.

Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I set my TDP to 65W to do some testing later. I did a quick and dirty Cinebench run and my 7950X ended up with a 8% higher multicore score and 15% higher single core score vs. a 105W 5950x.

EDIT: Also did a Geekbench run. Not bad for 65W. Looks like a 65W 7950X beats the 5950X by decent margins. https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18656442

Is there any hope that we'll ever be able to get top-tier memory speeds with all four slots filled? 64GB is cramping my style. What is this, 1983?

Unfortunately, not with Zen 4.

Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Maybe if they revise the I/O die.

It is definitely a memory controller limitation, so they would have to. Apparently you can't drive 4x32gb at > JEDEC 4800 speeds/timings.

The situation may change if we start seeing 64gb or 128gb single rank DIMMs.

I have my doubts AMD will redesign the IO die prior to Zen 5 (assuming they stick with chiplets). They'd rather push pro users to Threadripper. Thankfully, 64gb is enough for my needs (for now).