Discussion Zen 3 Threadripper coming to DIY later this year...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
This may be under discussion; however, I did not see an active thread for it. According to AMD, Threadripper Zen 3 chips are hitting DIY later this year:

We also expect to make these processors available to our DIY community later this year.
(source: VideoCardz)

An unexpected, yet welcome/pleasant surprise to be sure.

Don't expect the parts to be cheap, however. Most of the motherboards are north of $500, and that is easily the cheapest part of the build. Still, a welcome change from AMD. Cheers to AMD for surprising even me. 😏

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I know, I have a 2950.

But with DDR5, the equation changes. So the subset of workloads that would benefit from quad channel but wouldn't justify a proper professional level octa channel solution will have substantially decreased IMO.

Assuming 16c is top end desktop for next generation or two, what is the proportional increase in cpu performance vs memory bandwidth from zen3 to now?

Not necessarily. Remember those folks might be running ECC. Note that ECC DDR5 DIMMs are currently around DDR5 4800 in terms of speed. I haven't seen any that are faster as of yet, at least.

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
Not necessarily. Remember those folks might be running ECC. Note that ECC DDR5 DIMMs are currently around DDR5 4800 in terms of speed. I haven't seen any that are faster as of yet, at least.
This is full ECC, meaning ensures integrity from CPU to RAM, not just within-RAM correct? I wasn't aware of ECC-less DDR5 (though ensuring integrity only of operations on chip).

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
Let me rephrase Tech Jesus. "What are you going to do about it? Buy Intel?"

For now, definitely no, but they're getting closer to compelling. I may take a serious look at them around Arrow Lake, hopefully. Mostly leery about the E-core's for "enterprise" workloads. Like, worrying about whether my long running tasks are in the foreground or not sucks. Though maybe their HEDT stuff will undercut Threadripper Pro in price, and then I get 32+ P-cores for $2K, say. That could be very nice. The last issue then would be how long Intel would support their platform for. I don't want to spend $500 on a mobo for Sapphire Rapids X that I need to dump in 2 years. It's not that much money, but it does feel super greedy, which I don't want to support.

pakotlar

Aug 22, 2003
I know, I have a 2950.

But with DDR5, the equation changes. So the subset of workloads that would benefit from quad channel but wouldn't justify a proper professional level octa channel solution will have substantially decreased IMO.

Assuming 16c is top end desktop for next generation or two, what is the proportional increase in cpu performance vs memory bandwidth from zen3 to now?

It looks pretty good actually. DDR5-6400 offers something like 90GB/s in dual channel. DDR5-7200 will get around 100. DDR4 3600 gets around 50GB/s. MT memory performance is going up no more than 50%, and probably closer to 35%. So we get a bit more (1.4-1.5x) bandwidth per core normalized to Zen 3 cores and DDR4 3600, even before we factor in monotonically increasing cache sizes.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016

That's a good basis of an argument all right.

So what is equivalent DDR4 speeds?

Edit:
DDR4
3200 MHz, 25.6 GB/s

From: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1726...dr5-4800-ranks-dpcs-do-manufacturers-matter/2

Would a wild-ass guess be around 37 GB/s for DDF-4800 - so around a 40% uplift?

Last edited:

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
This may be under discussion; however, I did not see an active thread for it. According to AMD, Threadripper Zen 3 chips are hitting DIY later this year:

(source: VideoCardz)

An unexpected, yet welcome/pleasant surprise to be sure.

Don't expect the parts to be cheap, however. Most of the motherboards are north of $500, and that is easily the cheapest part of the build. Still, a welcome change from AMD. Cheers to AMD for surprising even me. 😏
Zen3 threadripper non-pro? You mean they are reviving HEDT?

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
I see. So is it now like you can --as a person--build your own TR Pro PC yourself at home after buying all its parts???

Never mind. So it is doable. I'm sorry. The whole point of this thread is that you now can build your own zen3 threadripper. But it is the Pro variant. In fact, threadrippers will only come in Pro variants now. The title of this thread can be improved.

Reactions: lightmanek

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Never mind. So it is doable. I'm sorry. The whole point of this thread is that you now can build your own zen3 threadripper. But it is the Pro variant. In fact, threadrippers will only come in Pro variants now. The title of this thread can be improved.

ThreadRipper PRO are so much better CPUs than their non-pro siblings. STH makes an appealing case of getting rid the whole ThreadRipper Name and just focusing on WEPYC CPUs

"We wish that AMD just opened up the platform formally as an EPYC platform, instead of having the Threadripper Pro. Having a workstation EPYC or WEPYC and formally allowing EPYC CPUs would be really interesting.

A challenge with the Threadripper Pro 5995WX is not its competition from Intel today, or likely until 2023. Instead, it is that AMD is making such big jumps on the server side that using an EPYC in a workstation will become attractive

Unifying the Threadripper Pro parts into the EPYC line and having an EPYC workstation option with a chipset would allow OEMs to innovate while also making the platform more robust."

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
ThreadRipper PRO are so much better CPUs than their non-pro siblings. STH makes an appealing case of getting rid the whole ThreadRipper Name and just focusing on WEPYC CPUs

"We wish that AMD just opened up the platform formally as an EPYC platform, instead of having the Threadripper Pro. Having a workstation EPYC or WEPYC and formally allowing EPYC CPUs would be really interesting.

A challenge with the Threadripper Pro 5995WX is not its competition from Intel today, or likely until 2023. Instead, it is that AMD is making such big jumps on the server side that using an EPYC in a workstation will become attractive

Unifying the Threadripper Pro parts into the EPYC line and having an EPYC workstation option with a chipset would allow OEMs to innovate while also making the platform more robust."

Thanks for telling us Pro are much better. I'm crazy enough to build a system based on it although I don't really need it.

Reactions: lightmanek

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Will OC be possible on Zen 3 TR Pro in the right motherboard?

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for telling us Pro are much better. I'm crazy enough to build a system based on it although I don't really need it.

Additionally its so much better that it would score the same numbers in 99 percent of benchmarks as its hypothetical non-pro siblings. OFC you absolutely want to pay extra for that.