Question Z690 DDR4 board or DDR5 board?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I'm looking at a new board. I was wondering if I got a Z690 board if they will update the bios ever to be able to take the new DDR5 memory? I'm actually looking at this board.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I guess I'm confused. By the time that 3 years comes around, there is already new stuff taking its place. It becomes hard to find any of that product because they are replacing it with more of the newer products.
So, buy the old stuff which is now way behind the new stuff. Wow.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
Like I said earlier about buying a board, I am really going back and forth. I was looking at ASUS, but some said bad things are going on with ASUS boards. Then I thought Gigabyte, and people said I was nuts because of all the problems they have had with them. I myself have had issues with ASRock, so that made me worry about them. MSI is the answer is what others said, but now I hear other things about MSI too.
I go to a Microcenter, and the guy I talked to recommended ASRock and Gigabyte.
I have found that everyone on here has had some issue with a brand of some sort. I guess it comes with the territory. I need to just go with what I like, and I'm sure I'll be fine, even if it's Gigabyte.
I'm really looking at the ASRock Z690 Extreme now. It has 8 sata ports since I have have 7 HDD right now, with more to come shortly. With having to buy an add on card for the MSI z690 A DDR4, it puts the ASRock at over $50 cheaper.
I guess I'll make my decision one day. Who knows?

Jul 27, 2020

Both of these are CSM models. These are meant for corporate deployments so their BIOS will be tuned for stability above all else.

Z690 one has only 4 SATA ports while Q670M model has 6 SATA ports. If you don't mind a PCIe SATA adapter card or an enclosure to hang off the USB 3.2 ports, you can connect a dozen drives to these mobos easily.

Do note that Q670M is limited to DDR5-4800 only. This should be fine for your purposes if you decide to go with this model.