YouTube to roll out six-second ads that you can't skip

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
What's the best youtube ad blocker for android? I watch youtube primarily on my tablet and wanted to know what ad blocker will work great with android or what do you use? I don't watch youtube on my pc.

Ad Guard.

There is a 40% sale right now.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Firefox browser with uBlock, or root the tablet, and use Adaway.

I should have been clearer. I use the default youtube app. I don't access youtube through a browser and I surely don't have that firefox crap on my tablet.

How do I block ads with the android youtube app? I'm not going to root the tablet or pay for a blocker. Looks like I'll continue to wait the 5 seconds to skip the ad. Not a huge deal. I was hoping for a free blocker that ran in the background but maybe that's not a thing.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I should have been clearer. I use the default youtube app. I don't access youtube through a browser and I surely don't have that firefox crap on my tablet.

How do I block ads with the android youtube app? I'm not going to root the tablet or pay for a blocker. Looks like I'll continue to wait the 5 seconds to skip the ad. Not a huge deal. I was hoping for a free blocker that ran in the background but maybe that's not a thing.

Ad Guard doesn't require root.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

Stop using their app and use a browser like everyone else as using their app is your mistake.

It's possible to stop them while you use it but harder and plain silly to use it and complain.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Moar ad revenue....moooaaarrrr!!! Isn't greed terrific when it benefits you?

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Moar ad revenue....moooaaarrrr!!! Isn't greed terrific when it benefits you?

hey, like gordon gekko always said

honestly though, i've seen ad rev drop a lot in just the last year. down about %50 CPC.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I think websites should use the donation system. That's what I use on my own site. I think you might be surprised at how many people are willing to give a few cents or bucks here and there. Of course such a system needs to be easy and pain free from using. Currently PayPal is what most use for donations and that is what I use. But perhaps a secure addon like Authy can deploy a one click payment to a website with little user input. You could use Bitcoin, PayPal,Google Wallet, any number of funding sources.
Google Contributor or something along those lines would also be a nice way of doing this as long as the service has a large enough group of supported websites.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Don't care, I have Google Music, which in turn got me YouTube Red.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
I wonder if they'll ever start encoding ads into the videos themselves. That'll defeat adblockers.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
How dare they attempt to make money for a service they provide you for free and don't force you to use?

It's my right as a MOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN to use the entire internet for free. Not only should You Tube not be allowed to have ad's and make revenue. They should PAY ME to watch their videos.

Thank god for ad blockers, I don't care if they have to sell crack to make enough money to stay up and running. Just as long as I'm not inconvenienced to be forced to sit thru a few ad's here and there.

Youtube should adopted the CAPTCHA where they show an ad video and to watch the full video you have to answer a question pertaining to the ad. Maybe Adblocker has a way around that I dunno, because I've never used it. But that doesn't seem like it would be easy to bypass.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
It's my right as a MOTHER FUCKING AMERICAN to use the entire internet for free. Not only should You Tube not be allowed to have ad's and make revenue. They should PAY ME to watch their videos.

Thank god for ad blockers, I don't care if they have to sell crack to make enough money to stay up and running. Just as long as I'm not inconvenienced to be forced to sit thru a few ad's here and there.

Finally someone with the right attitude. :sneaky:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
What do you expect when you use services provided by an advertising company?

I didn't expect anything. I know how life works, greed is fucking awesome as long as it's benefiting me and I bet you won't find a truly honest person that seriously believes otherwise....well maybe the Amish...lol, no wait, their greedy too. Uhh, I'm sure there are some overly religious freaks out there that are seriously not greedy, monks perhaps.

But see, that's why you fuck over the greedy internet people by using lots of ad blockers, script blockers...whatever you can get and why? Because you are greedy enough to see only what you choose to see.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Really ad blockers probably would not be used as aggressively if the ad companies have not pushed people to make them in first place. Had they sticked with static non animiated non flash banner ads it would be bearable.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Really ad blockers probably would not be used as aggressively if the ad companies have not pushed people to make them in first place. Had they sticked with static non animiated non flash banner ads it would be bearable.

bullshit, I bet 95% or more of people who run something to block YT ad's would still do exactly the same thing even if all YT did was show you 20 seconds of ad's for every hour of videos you watch. Every site that had ad's is a recreational site, don't like the ad's? That's perfectly fine, just don't go to the site then. It's not like when you log on to your city's web site to pay a bill they have ad's that could infest your computer. Nobody needs to run an ad blocker, regardless how annoying people find ad's, and the possibility of spy ware. It's like people who go to a bar and complain how the drink's are so expensive. Nobody forced them to go, and nobody forced them to drink once they got there. People who block ad's are leeches plain and simple.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The problem with youtube adds are that they are not all the same length. Some are 15 seconds, 30 seconds and 2:30. I wish they were all 6 seconds and I wouldn't have to look at the screen to press skip. Most youtube content can be listened to without watching.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
bullshit, I bet 95% or more of people who run something to block YT ad's would still do exactly the same thing even if all YT did was show you 20 seconds of ad's for every hour of videos you watch. Every site that had ad's is a recreational site, don't like the ad's? That's perfectly fine, just don't go to the site then. It's not like when you log on to your city's web site to pay a bill they have ad's that could infest your computer. Nobody needs to run an ad blocker, regardless how annoying people find ad's, and the possibility of spy ware. It's like people who go to a bar and complain how the drink's are so expensive. Nobody forced them to go, and nobody forced them to drink once they got there. People who block ad's are leeches plain and simple.

ANY animated/audio ad is intrusive especially if it's actually stopping you from viewing what you were originally trying to view, such as a video. I'm talking strictly unanimated banner ads around the site. If they had originally sticked to that (speaking for all sites) then it would not make sites unusable like it does now. I'm sure some people would still block them, but not blocking them would not make the site unusable.

Any time I find myself on a computer without an adblocker I realize just how bad it is, and immediately install it. The fact that most of these carry spyware now only makes it worse.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
The sheer prevalence of malmare infested ad networks and computing resource hogging makes any anti-adblock moral crusade moot. I'm sure pro-ads people like Quebert will be so first in line to pay damages done to malware victims and mobile bandwidth used for ads.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
The problem with youtube adds are that they are not all the same length. Some are 15 seconds, 30 seconds and 2:30. I wish they were all 6 seconds and I wouldn't have to look at the screen to press skip. Most youtube content can be listened to without watching.

It especially sucks when you are just clicking a vid to see what it's about, maybe the thumbnail or title grabbed you but you don't want to watch even a 10 second ad to realize within 5 seconds of the video that it's not what you thought or wanted to see any further.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The sheer prevalence of malmare infested ad networks and computing resource hogging makes any anti-adblock moral crusade moot. I'm sure pro-ads people like Quebert will be so first in line to pay damages done to malware victims and mobile bandwidth used for ads.

I, too, am amazed at how much my Malwarebytes protection thing goes off due to ads...

May 11, 2008

It makes the web browsing experience slow. Most people (95%) just accept it. Because that is what they do. Let them experience how it can be done without ads and they nolonger want those intrusive ads.
I created another user on my system and forgot to install the add ons on firefox. Even for this site when there are ads enabled, there are about 41 trackers and animated flash videos. Most websites are only a few hundred kB while the ads are several MB. And the ad servers are unsafe, as they are a potential but proven injection system of malware. Go back to static ads with a simple "do you like to know more" or shut up.

Last edited: