Your other expensive hobbies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirusDub

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001
Playing the tuba. Last tuba was $5250, next one will be at least $5300, then the one after that will be at least $7500. I'm gonna be on loans for a while.

bjb86s

Aug 8, 2001
Drum Equip.

Musical instruments in general can be very expensive, especially when you start customizing/hand-made, check out: Dunnett and Spaun.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Motorcycles. I have about eight unfinished project bikes scattered around the house. I'll get back to them someday.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
That's easy, my 914. Sometime after I turn 21 I'll be spending some money on a Walther PPK and more money at a target range, but that's not really all that expensive comparitively speaking. And there's also that VW Microbus I've always wanted...

ZV

audiophan

May 2, 2001
boating -> poker run racing

whens the last time you paid $4/gal for premium gas on an engine that gets .9miles/gallon and requires 150gal tank, $3000 for headers, and $120 for an oil change.

EDIT

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001

<< Hairless cats & guns...

Wait a minute that sounds wierd:eek:
>>

hahha...."just remember, sonny, don't shoot dem dere cats!"
*kablammo*

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Year 'round:

DVDs (anime & Hollywood movies)
manga and other books

during spring, summer, and fall, tack on fishing and hiking

Nate

777joee

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Golf...........While you can play a muni for 25 or 30 bucks a real nice course will set you back 150+ or there is always Pebble Beach. It is a good thing I played it a long time ago because I just can't seem to cough up with 350+ for a round of golf.

Can you say GF4..................

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
scuba diving is my favorite hobby but it's not really expensive anymore. i own my gear and have several friends with dive shops so even tank fills are free and if i need new gear i get it at cost. :)

i love living here in mexico. i can do all my favorite things like diving, fishing, camping, etc. and i can do it all for free or very cheap. no hunting though :(

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
My car. :(

I think I spent almost a grand so far. That's only a month or two after I got it. :(

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
college - $1500-$1200scholarships $400 books per semester

golf - $400+ on equipment, ~$20 per round

bowling - $150 on equipment, ~$15 per night of bowling

paintball - $0 on equipment, ~$30-40 per day of paintball

decorating my fairly empty condo - $3000+

buying tools - $400+

keeping my girlfriend happy - $?? (not very much is needed), hours and hours of my dedicated attention

overall feeling of contentment - priceless

SilverThief

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
I dont have another one....just computers.

Well...I did buy a new Tech-22 amchine pistol today. That was pretty damn expensive, but I'm not sure if it counts as a hobby cause my wife is going to throw it out the window as soon as she finds out about it.
:)

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002

<< I dont have another one....just computers.

Well...I did buy a new Tech-22 amchine pistol today. That was pretty damn expensive, but I'm not sure if it counts as a hobby cause my wife is going to throw it out the window as soon as she finds out about it.
:)
>>

Bust a cap in her gangsta' style.

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Guitar........

Me wants a PRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(if you play you know what i'm talking about)

Just bought a Electro-harmonix Small stone Phaser yesterday for about 57 bucks.......

I want approx. 12 pedals at @ about $80 each it gets expensive

zs

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
College - $18,000 / YEAR.

College Books - $300 / PER Semester

Guitar/Amp - $350 For A Fender STRAT, $250 For A Marshall Twin AMP.

Women - $$$$

Sitting Infront of The Computer Posting On AT And Scratching My Balls.....PRICELESS

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Anthing I can do to get down a mountain on snow including alpine skiing, telemarking, snowboarding, etc.. Motorcycles (used to be cars, but Chicago winters eat cars), photographic equipment, Mountain biking and now computers..

One of the biggest and most expensive hobbies has been audio though. I had a high end dedicated 2 way system that was worth about $20K at one point and now have it pared down to about $6K of the "essential" stuff. I'm even thinking about going smaller because I don't have time to listen as much as I once did now that I'm more into computers. I also like mp3's. Not because of the sound quality, but because I can sample so much music. I love being able to hit shuffle and not hear the same song twice in a single day of listening. I've never be able to do that with anything else.

Sal