Your new ATT@Home Settings

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Looks like it's just good old DHCP! No host name, no DNS settings, no workgroup needed. I renamed my router, removed it's domain, and reset it, got me 12.x.x.x address. I kind of like this. I wonder if we get unlimited IP's now. :)

This is with ATT cable addess.

Edit: Here's the new settings.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
hmm.. hopefully that'll fix my problem.

thanx! (cant wait another 5 hours till i go hom to try it).

mrphones

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2001
I was on @home as of last night, but about 2 hours ago I'm now on the Roadrunner network. No more static ip, but with tzo who needs it. All is working well. Upload cap is now at 384 instead of 256. Good job ATT in getting everyone, well at least me back up!

Illusio

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
did they tell you about a change over?

i have Att@home in chicago area and i have heard nothign about new service. they didnt even tell me they were going belly up, i thought it was just Excite@home...

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
right now, im using a linksys befsr41 4-port router. in the config, i have the hostname (ex. C238171-A) and Domain Name (frmt1.sfba.home.com). i have it set to obtain an ip address automaticaly.

so i can just blank out the host/domain name field in the router settings?

i hear alot of people over on DSLR forums that were switched over to the ATTBI network already getting about Dsl speeds of 1.5Mbps compared to the 3-4Mbps before the network switch. im hoping that has to do with the fact that ATTBI is barely up, and that they dont have the resources to give the full bandwidth to everyone yet..

davisdog

Oct 9, 1999
I'd take anything...we are dead in the water (Saratoga, CA)...back to dialup throw work until we hear something (damn 41.2kbps connection)

:(

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
so when i go hom today, how should i setup my router?
get rid of the ip address? and gateways? anything else?

FUBAR

Oct 11, 1999
1.5 is at&t's bb standard downlink speed..

As for newsgroups, you won't be able to get @home since they only allow people on their network, and you definately aren't.

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< right now, im using a linksys befsr41 4-port router. in the config, i have the hostname (ex. C238171-A) and Domain Name (frmt1.sfba.home.com). i have it set to obtain an ip address automaticaly.

so i can just blank out the host/domain name field in the router settings?

i hear alot of people over on DSLR forums that were switched over to the ATTBI network already getting about Dsl speeds of 1.5Mbps compared to the 3-4Mbps before the network switch. im hoping that has to do with the fact that ATTBI is barely up, and that they dont have the resources to give the full bandwidth to everyone yet..
>>

Yes! I blanked my domain setting in my router, and set it's host name to "router". Works fine. For me. Blah blah your mileage may vary.

As for speeds, my service is definetly faster. Maybe it's more fair or something, or better for us Pacific Northwest folks.

Actually, now that I use it again, the speeds are dipping. Maybe I was using it sooner than other people, I'm West coast though I assumed I'd be one of the later ones to switch over.

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< 1.5 is at&t's bb standard downlink speed..

As for newsgroups, you won't be able to get @home since they only allow people on their network, and you definately aren't.
>>

Yup. That's why you didn't need a username and password, it verified based on IP address.

Here's the settings for anyone who hasn't seen the generic home.excite.come replacement page:
http://newuser.attbi.com/attbi.com.manual_supported.html

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
but if the modem does not synch(establish a connection, it just keeps on blinking ) at all.. there isnt much i can do.. right?

davidos

Nov 29, 1999
Can anyone who has the settings write them down here please? My cable modem connection is now totally shot. The modem is getting a signal but my computer is not able to communicate with it. AT&T tech support are a bunch or morons and I don't have the patience to be transferred another 18 times before someone telling me they can't help me.

I disconnected my wireless network and am now going directly into my old Nic card. When I run WINIPCFG I get an IP address and subnet but no Gateway. PLEASE HELP with the settings!

P.S. - thanks for the websites but they are not coming up. Must be getting slammed.

G@d dammned AT&T. Such a piece of .......................

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
davidos,

I have also just resetted my IP from att.

This is what I did.

1. Power Cycle your modem to get the new IP
2. Configure TCP IP on your computer so that it gets dynamic IP and dynamic dns
3. reboot your computer.

I am running this through my netgear rt311 router after all the above worked on a single PC. I need to change the IP to dynamic and reboot the router.

Let us know if you need specific help.

My cable has a solid light yesterday, but I am unable to get any IP addresses. It might be that you are not ready to get an IP yet.

eRr

davidos

Nov 29, 1999
err:

Thanks for your help, but what do you mean by: "Configure TCP IP on your computer so that it gets dynamic IP and dynamic dns"

I am running Win Me. I have options for "Optain IP Address Automatically" or not and as for DNS it's either Disable or Enable with a whole bunch of options.

Is there any way to clear the "adapter address" for my Nic in WINIPCFG?

Anything for Gateway and WINS Resolution tabs?

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
davidos,

Ok, It's been a while since I used win9x family os :) anyway let me try

1. Obtain IP address automatically is right
2. Obrain DNS address automatically (if it's there)
3. Nothing on gateway and Wins

If I remember it right, you can renew your IP with Winipcfg.

Try power cycling your modem again.

err

davidos

Nov 29, 1999
For DNS its either: Disable

or

Enable with...
Host
Domain
DNS Server Search Order
Domain Suffix Search Order

littletemple

Golden Member
Sep 18, 2001
anybody in the 98034 (kirkland, wa) zip code got their at&t cable service up and running? i can't seem to get mine up and running eventhough I hear the seattle area got theirs going. anybody?

mchang

Jun 5, 2001
Here in 98006 (Bellevue but almost not -- up on cougar mountain)... it's partially working. I got an IP, DNS, and connection. I can't get to most places, though. I can get to UW and some local places, but nothing too far out. Traceroutes are all fux0red. There is a link down somewhere...

Anyone else?

err

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I am also in Seattle, 98125, 98133 @home is up and running

eRr

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001

<< i have Att@home in chicago area and i have heard nothign about new service. >>

Chicago here too. Same problem..

They called me with an automated message saying i get 2 days credit for every day its down, so that's cool. I checked the web page and was pissed off to find that they are now capping download speeds also! 1.5mbps download cap/128kbps upload. Oh well.

They said that they would call back with more info/new solution within a one week period.

JHalpin

Jan 29, 2001
Seattle 98116 still can't get it to work....

getting IP's starting with 169 but nothing coming through:(

operaghost

Oct 18, 2001
Bellevue, WA area code 98006
Get an IP/sub/Gate/DNS
Cannot access 80% of web sites
Cannot access new attbi email account
Could ping 2 of 4 DNS servers. Other 2 no response
waited 1.5hrs on hold last night before being told to call another number today after 8am.

Could not get anything working through linksys BEFRS41 (think that's the model) 4-port router/switch
router obtained IP/Sub/Gate/DNS

Those of you not back up yet should be restored today or tomorrow according to reports.

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Seattle 98116 still can't get it to work....

getting IP's starting with 169 but nothing coming through:(
>>

Sorry to hear things aren't so good up there, 169 is the Windows version of nothing if you are set to DHCP, means nothing is avialable.