your keyboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I have a brushed aluminum laptopstyle keyboard i've used for maybe 3 years now. A lot of the keys are incredibly worn. But it still works

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: JasonCoder
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
so why don't you, you know, clean it? i too have a MS Internet Keyboard that i love. it's really not difficult too clean. just takes some time and patience.

i've cleaned it before. it's the biggest pain in the ass.

Honestly I don't know how you guys cleaned em. I opened mine up and there's so many connections and little peices I don't think I'd get it back together again. I guess there's no harm trying since it's just sitting there dead at the moment but really looks like a pita.

I'm pretty sure you use compressed air and pry out the keys on top, not take apart the keyboard.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
take it apart and clean it. make sure to take a picture of the keys for reassembly later, also make sure to allow everything to dry completely before putting it back together. I intend to make my NMB keyboard last 50 years.

NissanGurl

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
I use a MS Natural also, but keep an old IBM keyboard around because I sometimes like the really loud clicking sound the keys give. :)

Edit: Something I discovered when I took off and replaced the keys (cleaning) on my keyboard at home...if you really want to mess with people that use your computer, swap the "b" and "v" keys. Most casual users don't really have those memorized and will glance down to double-check. Had a friend screaming at the yahoo mail login page after failing to log in many, many times before I remembered that I put the keys on backwards. The funny part is that I didn't do it on purpose and since I have those keys memorized it never bothered me. Just people that tried to type in passwords containing "b" or "v" :laugh:

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: NissanGurl
I use a MS Natural also, but keep an old IBM keyboard around because I sometimes like the really loud clicking sound the keys give. :)

Edit: Something I discovered when I took off and replaced the keys (cleaning) on my keyboard at home...if you really want to mess with people that use your computer, swap the "b" and "v" keys. Most casual users don't really have those memorized and will glance down to double-check. Had a friend screaming at the yahoo mail login page after failing to log in many, many times before I remembered that I put the keys on backwards. The funny part is that I didn't do it on purpose and since I have those keys memorized it never bothered me. Just people that tried to type in passwords containing "b" or "v" :laugh:

A few years back I switched the N and M keys on my Dad's keyboard at work, and he couldnt figure out how to log on since he still has to look at the keyboard when he types. He had the entire IT dept at his desk trying to figure out what was wrong for quite some time.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
I'm still using a Gateway 2000 Anykey keyboard, the one where almost every key can be remapped or changed to a macro. Used to have macros for things like my email address, passwords and switching between pc's on a KVM. Used to, because something zapped the internals a few months ago and none of the macros or programmability work anymore.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: randay
take it apart and clean it. make sure to take a picture of the keys for reassembly later, also make sure to allow everything to dry completely before putting it back together. I intend to make my NMB keyboard last 50 years.

Like I said... pita. But I may give it a go. Thanks for the insight.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Wasn't this thread about sentimental attachment? I'm not sentimentally attached to any of my keyboards... but I sure as hell do like the Model M far more than any other keyboard ever manufactured.

Originally posted by: d33pt
Originally posted by: thejnaitor
I have a Model M keyboard and love it to death. Surprisingly, I bought the Model M about a year ago off eBay and use it now instead of a Logitech wireless keyboard I used to have. Model M ftw

model M here too. mine's circa 1984.

84? That's when they were copyrighted by IBM (so I think that all of them still have the (C) 1984 IBM statement on them), but the vast majority out there were actually manufactured 87-93, IIRC.

I used to have several Model M's.... and then lost them all (unfortunate situation). I finally got around to buying a few, so I have them on all three of the desktop computers I use the most. :)

Originally posted by: mcvickj
Was the Model M ever produced with a Windows key? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I thought I would ask.

No.