Young couple vanished off Carnival Cruise 60+ miles out at sea

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Nowhere did I say this was Carnival's fault. This could have happened on any cruise line. I am simply saying that by choosing Carnival, after it has been in the news for so many negative reasons, they have shown they don't make the best decisions. They have also shown that safety isn't a great concern.

Carnival is definitely having maintenance issues as of late. Issues that have caused them some huge problems as of late. Anyone who chooses to take a Carnival Cruise right now seems to want to ignore that. None of this is a cause of this accident and I never said it was. Carnival is guilty of trying to trim corners by not reinvesting some of the money they get into there aging fleet.

There is/has been a fleetwide review of Carnivals fleet since Triumph and Dream had probelms. You say safety, but no one was harmed during Triumphs issues, nor Dreams, nor Elations.

The Dream incident happened in port while safety testing. They choose not to leave port with one of their several generators down. No on has died in these instances.

Carnival is an easy target right now, but all cruise lines have their problems and maintenance issues. As well as deaths, sexual assualts, etc.

There are plenty of instances of other cruise lines having generator problems, fires in their engine rooms, down aziopds, but rarely does it make news because they limp back to port without the customers knowing. Its what gets listed as "material failure" by the Coast Guard. You also had a 15 year old boy who was raped by a man on Mariner of the Seas a month ago. Nary a report on it. Same goes for the 4 year old who drown(well hes brain dead and being kept alive by his parents) in a DCL pool earlier this year.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
There is/has been a fleetwide review of Carnivals fleet since Triumph and Dream had probelms. You say safety, but no one was harmed during Triumphs issues, nor Dreams, nor Elations.

The Dream incident happened in port while safety testing. They choose not to leave port with one of their several generators down. No on has died in these instances.

Carnival is an easy target right now, but all cruise lines have their problems and maintenance issues. As well as deaths, sexual assualts, etc.

I mean a 15 year old boy was raped by a man on Mariner of the Seas a month ago. Nary a report on it. Same goes for the 4 year old who drown(well hes brain dead and being kept alive by his parents) in a DCL pool earlier this year.

I think where we differ is on the definition of harm and therefore safety. Simple as that, I'm afraid.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
My point is you make it it sound like Carnival is the only one that has problems. They aren't they have just been "caught" by the media.

All cruise lines have similar problems. They just cover their tracks better. If Triumph hadn't happened, the only real/major incident on the Carnival line itself, here is no doubt in my mind Carnival would have sailed Dream back to Florida. Cruise lines regularly sail with downed generators. The Dream incident can't really be said to be a safety issue, as the incident itself was a safety precaution.

Just looking at the Events at Sea database shows Carnival isn't the only one with problems... Its almost a daily occurrence that a cruise ship somewhere has a problem.

Heck I was on one of RCCL ships that was operating without its second set of stabilizers for quite a while(several months to a year). If the remaining set went out, the ship would have had serious issues. Its fortunate for RCCL that nothing ever happened.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Carnival is great company. I've been on two of their cruises with no problems. Just because they had a few incidents doesn't mean they are a bad company. Other companies have also had incidents.

Also, these two "falling" over the side of the ship sounds like bunk to me. I've personally been out on the decks after dark when I was a kid on the first cruise (Bahamas '05). All of us were up and down the deck (we were trying to get to the head of the boat to do the "King of The World" thing from Titanic) and when you look over, its a good 30ft drop down into the water.

If you leaned over and fell in the water...it was because you wanted to fall into the water.

This isn't the first time it's happened. And its NOT Carnival's fault.

One of the first things you do when boarding a Carnival ship for a cruise is go to a safety seminar about what happens if there is an emergency and what NOT to do on the boat. Especially at night.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
the guy jumped off the ship to save the girl. now that is a real man.

A real dead man..... Fuck that, I ain't jumping overboard to save even my own child if I know for a fact no one will know that either of us are in the water.

I can't imagine it would have taken too long to run somewhere and scream man overboard and then jump in after her if thats what you really want to do.

Jumping in the ocean at night when no one on earth knows you are in the ocean and the vessel you were on is, and will continue to be, moving just isn't a good idea....

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
My point is you make it it sound like Carnival is the only one that has problems. They aren't they have just been "caught" by the media.

All cruise lines have similar problems. They just cover their tracks better. If Triumph hadn't happened, the only real/major incident on the Carnival line itself, here is no doubt in my mind Carnival would have sailed Dream back to Florida. Cruise lines regularly sail with downed generators. The Dream incident can't really be said to be a safety issue, as the incident itself was a safety precaution.

Just looking at the Events at Sea database shows Carnival isn't the only one with problems... Its almost a daily occurrence that a cruise ship somewhere has a problem.

Heck I was on one of RCCL ships that was operating without its second set of stabilizers for quite a while(several months to a year). If the remaining set went out, the ship would have had serious issues. Its fortunate for RCCL that nothing ever happened.

Serious question, do you work for Carnival? You seem to care an awful lot about people making fun of them.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007

thanks. you just reaffirmed my suspicions. cruise ships dont give a fuck about human life as long as they make a buck. #fuckcruiseships

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Carnival is great company. I've been on two of their cruises with no problems. Just because they had a few incidents doesn't mean they are a bad company. Other companies have also had incidents.

Wait a gosh dsrn minute! You are saying Carnival is a great company based on two instances, yet at the same time saying one can't conclude they are a bad company on a few instances? :colbert:

I think Carnival is also the parent company of the line that ran into the reef in Italy too. From what I understand, Carnival has little respect from other lines in their industry, basically they are the Walmart of cruising.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Serious question, do you work for Carnival? You seem to care an awful lot about people making fun of them.

No. I have no affiliation with any cruise line. It just gets old that Carnival is the one that is repeatedly targeted when they all have the same practices...

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Wait a gosh dsrn minute! You are saying Carnival is a great company based on two instances, yet at the same time saying one can't conclude they are a bad company on a few instances? :colbert:

I think Carnival is also the parent company of the line that ran into the reef in Italy too. From what I understand, Carnival has little respect from other lines in their industry, basically they are the Walmart of cruising.

Carnival the cruise line, is owned by the same parent company that owns Costa, and about half of all cruise lines, from lowend mainstream Carnival to highend luxury Seabourn.

It goes like this

Carnival Corporation PLC is a holding company that owns the following
Carnival Cruise Lines
Holland America Lines
Costa Cruises
Cunard
Ibero
P&O
Seabourne
Princess Cruise Lines

Each of the cruise lines is ran as an individual company that wholly owned by Carnival Corporation PLC holding company.

As for cruiselines.

Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL are ALL the Wal Mart of cruising. They are ALL in the low end mainstream market. Carnival and NCL are on par with eachother. Royal Caribbean has a slight edge over both of them. However, no real substantial difference occurs until you bump up to higher market segment.

The higher you go the higher the avg age is(except for Disney Cruise Lines, but they are more or less dont fit into any market segment). That is the reason I tend to stick to the mainstream market lines. Anything outside that market segment has an avg age approaching 60 or higher and caters more to the old folks.

For the record I have never gone on a Carnival cruise, but wouldn't have a problem going on one.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

I was speaking from my experience being a guest on two 10 day Carnival Cruises. Cruise ships have issues all the time. On our first trip, we had issues with the water pumps that brought in water from the sea to fill up the pools and the hot tubs. The water wasn't being scrubbed or purified from the pumps so we all had to go one day without the pools, but everyone got some freebies for the trouble. Everything was fixed by the evening.

The beds were hella comfortable. I'm talking about so comfortable you fall asleep immediately, the food was great, entertainment was awesome. Everything.

So yea, Carnival and other cruise lines have issues. I am not sure what the point of "The Walmart of Cruise Lines" is....have you ever been on a Carnival Cruise?, some of those packages are way above the budgets of your average Wal-Mart shopper.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
thanks. you just reaffirmed my suspicions. cruise ships dont give a fuck about human life as long as they make a buck. #fuckcruiseships

More people die on on shore excursions than anything else.

Then you have the jumpers.

Then you have the rare instances like Costa.

From 2005 up until Costa Concordia, there were 16 fatalities that were the actual fault of cruise lines. 15 in over 100,000,000 passengers. I believe prior to Concordia, the historical total was around ~73 deaths that were the fault of cruise lines.

Safety is a big issues, mainly because most lines have cut back on safety officers(all officers in general), but the industry has done a fairly good job over the years. They probably should face better/tighter regulation, but that is hard to do under current laws.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
They really DO try to educate the guests on Safety and what not to do...but you still have people that do whatever they want to do regardless. Parents letting their kids play on the railings, people leaning over railings to take pictures....

I saw a couple let their son sit up on a railing for a photo OP on the second cruise. I had to turn around and leave cause I didn't want to be there if the kid leaned backwards and became shark food.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
More people die on on shore excursions than anything else.

Then you have the jumpers.

Then you have the rare instances like Costa.

From 2005 up until Costa Concordia, there were 16 fatalities that were the actual fault of cruise lines. 15 in over 100,000,000 passengers. I believe prior to Concordia, the historical total was around ~73 deaths that were the fault of cruise lines.

Safety is a big issues, mainly because most lines have cut back on safety officers(all officers in general), but the industry has done a fairly good job over the years. They probably should face better/tighter regulation, but that is hard to do under current laws.

how many people have got very sick over the years? i would say about half of them as a rough guesstimate.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
how many people have got very sick over the years? i would say about half of them as a rough guesstimate.

Uh. Anytime there is an outbreak of sickness on a ship sailing from the US they have to report to the CDC once its hits a certain %, IIRC once it hits 3% of # of guests.

Overall the number of people who get sick on a cruise ship is fairly low, and its mainly during Nov-March.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Uh. Anytime there is an outbreak of sickness on a ship sailing from the US they have to report to the CDC once its hits a certain %, IIRC once it hits 3% of # of guests.

ok. i wont argue, im just pulling shit out of my ass and you dont seem to be. most of my accounts come from people who have been on cruises and they say a lot of people get sick. i really have no experience, so i shouldnt talk like i have been. they just seem like an infested floating petri dish, but that doesnt mean im right.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
ok. i wont argue, im just pulling shit out of my ass and you dont seem to be. most of my accounts come from people who have been on cruises and they say a lot of people get sick. i really have no experience, so i shouldnt talk like i have been. they just seem like an infested floating petri dish, but that doesnt mean im right.

Oh I am not saying that can't be. They can be, there have been ships with 800-900 people sick from a noro outbreak. That is not normal and doesn't occur regularly. This year hasn't been to bad in terms of outbreaks on ships. Two years ago was pretty bad but still a small percentage of overall annual passengers. But if you are one of the sick its terrible and doesn't matter how many people get sick.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Overall the number of people who get sick on a cruise ship is fairly low, and its mainly during Nov-March.

Why mainly during Nov-March?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Why mainly during Nov-March?

2 reasons.

1. While norovirus can occur year round, 80% of all noro outbreaks occur during this time frame.
2. Cold and Flu season.

Most sickness stem from one or the other.

Noro is as common on land as it is at sea. Most food poisoning cases are actually noro. Its a hell of a bug. I believe I had it on land once. I was vomitting and shitting for 28hrs straight and then I was fine.

Last edited: