Young couple vanished off Carnival Cruise 60+ miles out at sea

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone taking a Carnival Cruise these days must have a death wish.

Still, that sucks.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
These things have railings right?

Not that I've been on many cruises, but it seems to me unless the ship was sailing through a hurricane you'd have to be pretty dumb to get into a position where you could get thrown overboard. Maybe they were drunk?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is why you never go on weather decks at night. You can't hear someone over the sound of the sea and the ship, and if you aren't seen right away you most likely won't be found. It's a big ocean.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
im waiting for the update video where it shows the girl trying to do a titanic pose at the front of the ship and the guy tries to save her when she slips and falls, pulling them both over.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
These things have railings right?

Not that I've been on many cruises, but it seems to me unless the ship was sailing through a hurricane you'd have to be pretty dumb to get into a position where you could get thrown overboard. Maybe they were drunk?

Yes, they have railings and cruise ships are by design pretty stable. That being said there are gusts of wind and the fact that the seas by Australia are notorious for being rough with large swells. I haven't seen the video or anything but it's entirely possible that the ship went through a particularly large swell that they weren't prepared for.

Then again, that's why you don't go on the weather decks at night. (oh, and I'm sure they were drunk)

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Are you saying this could not have happened on a different cruise line?

thats not what he is saying at all. pay attention to the news, carnival has been everywhere for the last couple years. they are a terrible company to trust.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Wonder if they could determine from the footage if they went over voluntarily or not...seems that would have been a question that someone would have asked...

im sure they are keeping things quiet until the families know the details...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
thats not what he is saying at all. pay attention to the news, carnival has been everywhere for the last couple years. they are a terrible company to trust.

Guess I still do not understand the connection between Carnival's bad reputation and the two people who went overboard...

Did this reputation make them jump???

I have been on four Carnival cruises in the past 10 years and I have had a great experience every time...

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Guess I still do not understand the connection between Carnival's bad reputation and the two people who went overboard...

Did this reputation make them jump???

I have been on four Carnival cruises in the past 10 years and I have had a great experience every time...

ok, i see what you mean now. you have a point, but i think bad luck for carnival could start factoring in at some point!:p

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
"It was at night time so you can't really tell whether it was a male or female that went over first, they went over around the same time," he added. "But again, without further investigating everything else that may have gone one, it was a bit hard to speculate exactly about what occurred just from that (footage)."

However police are still investigating whether they jumped or if there had been some kind of accident.

from op link. i missed this part

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
If that's the truth that is an incredible dumbass.

If he had stayed onboard he could have alerted the crew and they could have picked her up without a problem.

Or atleast went after her with one of these.

images

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Are you saying this could not have happened on a different cruise line?

No, I'm saying anyone who willingly takes a Carnival Cruise today doesn't have their safety at the forefront of priorities. So its really not surprising that something happened.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
No, I'm saying anyone who willingly takes a Carnival Cruise today doesn't have their safety at the forefront of priorities. So its really not surprising that something happened.

What did Carnival do in this situation that caused them to go overboard (whether they went over intentionally or not)? What could they could have realistically done to prevent them from falling over (is building 8 foot tail railings all around the boat realistic)?

Has anyone died or been severely injured on a Carnival cruise? Yeah it would have royally sucked being on that boat that lost power for 5 days but for those on the boat, it was very bad luck (not trying to belittle their situation, but something equally bad could have happened anywhere else if they weren't on the boat at the time)....I don't think anyone was in danger of dying during that incident...

Like I said earlier, we have enjoyed all of our Carnival cruises in the past...I do think it was shitty of the reparations they trying to give out (like 50% vouchers or something) but that has nothing to do with this...

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

These people either jumped, or were drunk and standing on the railing and fell off on their own stupidity.

Strong winds aren't going to knock someone overboard. The railing height is 4 feet tall.

The only way you can accidentally fall overboard is if a ship suddenly lists and you are leaning up against the railing. There are no reports of the ship listing.

Early reports of the video footage show one person STANDING on the railing before going over then the other one immediately jumping in after. This hasn't been confirmed.

Its not Carnivals fault. If it wasn't a double suicide(or murder suicide), the second person should have immediately went to get help instead of jumping in. But drunk people make poor choices.

Last edited:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
What did Carnival do in this situation that caused them to go overboard (whether they went over intentionally or not)? What could they could have realistically done to prevent them from falling over (is building 8 foot tail railings all around the boat realistic)?

Has anyone died or been severely injured on a Carnival cruise? Yeah it would have royally sucked being on that boat that lost power for 5 days but for those on the boat, it was very bad luck (not trying to belittle their situation, but something equally bad could have happened anywhere else if they weren't on the boat at the time)....I don't think anyone was in danger of dying during that incident...

Like I said earlier, we have enjoyed all of our Carnival cruises in the past...I do think it was shitty of the reparations they trying to give out (like 50% vouchers or something) but that has nothing to do with this...

These people either jumped, or were drunk and standing on the railing and fell off on their own stupidity.

Strong winds aren't going to knock someone overboard. The railing height is 4 feet tall.

The only way you can accidentally fall overboard is if a ship suddenly lists and you are leaning up against the railing. There are no reports of the ship listing.

Early reports of the video footage show one person STANDING on the railing before going over then the other one immediately jumping in after. This hasn't been confirmed.

Its not Carnivals fault. If it wasn't a double suicide(or murder suicide), the second person should have immediately went to get help instead of jumping in. But drunk people make poor choices.

Nowhere did I say this was Carnival's fault. This could have happened on any cruise line. I am simply saying that by choosing Carnival, after it has been in the news for so many negative reasons, they have shown they don't make the best decisions. They have also shown that safety isn't a great concern.

Carnival is definitely having maintenance issues as of late. Issues that have caused them some huge problems as of late. Anyone who chooses to take a Carnival Cruise right now seems to want to ignore that. Carnival is guilty of trying to trim corners by not reinvesting some of the money they get back into there aging fleet. None of this is a cause of this accident and I never said it was.

Last edited: