You will be assimilated

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I think this is where the FTC should step in and block EA from buying out or merging with any other companies.
Considering the feds are not going to stop Vivendi (owners of Blizzard Entertainment) from buying Activision and merging it with their games division, I doubt that they will block this. Vivendi's Blizzard-Activision should be as big or larger than an EA that owns Take 2.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Dear Strauss:

Thank you for your letter of February 15, 2008. While I appreciate its courteous tone and value our ongoing dialogue, I am disappointed that you have rejected Electronic Arts Inc.'s ("EA's") $25 per share cash offer to acquire Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. ("Take-Two") and declined to engage in the friendly negotiations we proposed.

Sounds like T2 doesn't want to give it up.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
FTC won't stop it because there is still plenty of competition. Can't stop it if it's not because of monopoly, and while EA is already huge, and Blizzard-Activision will also be large.... since both exist, amongst plenty of other developers, a monopoly cannot be claimed. And I doubt you'd see the FTC blocking company buyouts and merges for any other reason other than to prevent the emergence of a monopoly in the market.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Not surprising.

Those GTA, BioShock, and Elder Scrolls franchises must look pretty tasty.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: ja1484

Not surprising.

More games to go on the shit list if they succeed.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It was really only a matter of time before the attempt was made, though whether it will come to fruition is another story entirely. Hopefully it does not.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The next question is... who attempts to buy Ubisoft? :Q Soon it'll just be EA and Vivendi!

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
I'll just quote my post from console gaming.

Originally posted by: m0mentary
hypocrites, just recently they talked about wrongly destroying their old developers and now they want to buy another one? How about fixing one of the many development houses they already have.

Our all-cash proposal is a unique opportunity for Take-Two shareholders to realize immediate value at a substantial premium, while creating long-term value for EA shareholders. Take-Two's game designers would also benefit from EA's financial resources, stable, profit-focused management team, and strong global publishing capabilities.\ ... There can be no certainty that in the future EA or any other buyer would pay the same high premium we are offering today.

fixed

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Well, Take Two is not much better than EA these days. Remember, these were the guys behind the Bioshock DRM fiasco. I wouldn't particularly care if they got bought out.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Not surprising.

They don't own Elder Scrolls...

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
This is one of the reasons I stopped buying anything from EA.
I might miss out on a few games but I refuse to pay the salary of the suits at EA.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I played a bunch of good games pubbed by T2 last year. If EA is successfull I see that number dropping in the future.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
FTC has nothing to do with mergers - its Bureau of Justice (Antitrust Division) that is supposed to evaluate those kind of deals. Anyway,

"Take-Two's Board of Directors has thoroughly reviewed EA's unsolicited proposal with the assistance of its independent financial and legal advisors and concluded that the proposal is inadequate in multiple respects and not in the best interests of Take-Two's stockholders."

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
All I have to say is pray for Valve and Steam. Yes you may hate Steam, etc. etc. but it keeps Valve's coffers flush and is their firewall against EA at present.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I just wish steam was multiplatform...and frankly, I think valve wishes that now as well.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Multiplatform how? Like have Steam on the 360/PS3? Or do you mean cross platform multiplayer? Where PC orange boxers could play with 360 orange boxers?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Well take2 is refusing the offer till after GTA is released.
Seems to me they are just putting it off till the release in the hope of higher stock prices.
Its not a 'We don't like EA', its a 'We want more money'.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Beev
Multiplatform how? Like have Steam on the 360/PS3? Or do you mean cross platform multiplayer? Where PC orange boxers could play with 360 orange boxers?

Naw, just that it ran on linux, mac, etc as well. They'd be 3/4 of the way there if the source engine had an OpenGL renderer.

I say I think valve wishes they had gone that route because with live for windows MS was basically busting in on their territory. If they used OpenGL and the steam application was multiplatform then Microsoft would have a lot less doors to shut in their face.

Still, it looks like MS is kind of blowing in with windows live so I think steam isn't really in to much trouble.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Well take2 is refusing the offer till after GTA is released.
Seems to me they are just putting it off till the release in the hope of higher stock prices.
Its not a 'We don't like EA', its a 'We want more money'.

Ya, thats what they are saying on cnbc too. Pretty smart actually.

Still scares me though.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Daverino
All I have to say is pray for Valve and Steam. Yes you may hate Steam, etc. etc. but it keeps Valve's coffers flush and is their firewall against EA at present.

I'm not sure Gabe would sell even if EA offered an assload of money.
EA can't buy private companies as easily as they can public if the owners don't want to sell. There's no stock to buy for a hostile takeover. Valve is safe for as long as the owners want it to be.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Not surprising.

They don't own Elder Scrolls...

No, but they damn sure publish it, the latest iteration anyway, which means odds are fine for contractual extension.