You think Chief Justice Roberts intentionally made Obama mess up reciting the oath?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: chess9
Two Harvard lawyers fucking up simultaneously suggests there isn't much luft between the loftiest and lowliest of lawyers.

I'm sure it was a difficult and embarrasing moment for both of them, but it was entirely inconsequential.

-Robert

Roberts fucked up. Obama paused and tried to get him back on track.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: HomerJS
It shows what happens when you get a job for life. Roberts didn't give a shit

Evidence?

All the other justices bring notes to the swearing in. Where were his?

*Obviously*, that means he "didn't give a shit". :roll:

Obviously it means he wasn't prepaired. If he gave a shit he would have been.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
yowolabi is correct-Obama became President precisely at noon-the oath is a formality.

As an aside, my morning paper reported that at least twice in the past there was a more substantial flub in the oath and it was corrected by a later, private oath ceremony. The so-called error here was so trivial that wouldn't be necessary.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
It shows what happens when you get a job for life. Roberts didn't give a shit

Evidence?

All the other justices bring notes to the swearing in. Where were his?

*Obviously*, that means he "didn't give a shit". :roll:

Obviously it means he wasn't prepaired. If he gave a shit he would have been.

Unfortunately for your logic, the transitive property only applies to math.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Two Harvard lawyers fucking up simultaneously suggests there isn't much luft between the loftiest and lowliest of lawyers.

I'm sure it was a difficult and embarrasing moment for both of them, but it was entirely inconsequential.

-Robert

Roberts fucked up. Obama paused and tried to get him back on track.

:roll: They both messed up. To suggest that BHO "tried to get him back on track" is nothing but slobknobbing. BHO started before he should have - thus mucking things up. Sure, the slight pause might have caused him to speak early but really you can't blame it all on one party here - let alone try to praise one party.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Yep.

Not to CAD. Nothing is too SMALL or petty for CAD.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I've been thinking a lot about this ever since I heard the oath being taken.

While there's something to be said for being nervous, I watched the man conduct himself quite well in his Congressional review for the SC nomination and was impressed by his performance under pressure - doing it all without notes no less. It's really hard for me to swallow the notion that this incredibly knowledgeable man so fluent in Constitutional law, who has studied this document and for pretty much his whole adult life, can flub it up like that.

Add to it Obama voted against his Roberts in the SC blitz... Extending your hand in a conciliatory gesture doesn't always guarantee a real handshake.

I'd like to summarily dismiss the whole notion, but it's hard when the GOP has stooped so low, on so many occasions. Could be nothing I admit, but it could also be one of the most unique political FU in our history. Regardless, it's probably not going to matter. If your predecessor can actually violate the oath of office and get away with it, then I think people aren't going to turn militant over the keeping things verbatim for posterity's sake.

And yes, I'm sure talk radio will try to make hay out of this in some fashion, if they aren't already...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Perknose

Yep.

Not to CAD. Nothing is too SMALL or petty for CAD.

:confused: Did you not read my comments? Some people are trying to make this into a big deal and trying to blame one party involved. It's stupid to try to blame one and praise the other.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: kage69
I've been thinking a lot about this ever since I heard the oath being taken.

While there's something to be said for being nervous, I watched the man conduct himself quite well in his Congressional review for the SC nomination and was impressed by his performance under pressure - doing it all without notes no less. It's really hard for me to swallow the notion that this incredibly knowledgeable man so fluent in Constitutional law, who has studied this document and for pretty much his whole adult life, can flub it up like that.

Add to it Obama voted against his Roberts in the SC blitz... Extending your hand in a conciliatory gesture doesn't always guarantee a real handshake.

I'd like to summarily dismiss the whole notion, but it's hard when the GOP has stooped so low, on so many occasions. Could be nothing I admit, but it could also be one of the most unique political FU in our history. Regardless, it's probably not going to matter. If your predecessor can actually violate the oath of office and get away with it, then I think people aren't going to turn militant over the keeping things verbatim for posterity's sake.

And yes, I'm sure talk radio will try to make hay out of this in some fashion, if they aren't already...

Kinda like you just did.

netmontr

Jan 21, 2009
I don' think that the way he ended up reciting it could be a deviation from the actual oath...it's pretty much the same statement.

Do I think he threw him off intentionally? Well, I think he interrupted him intentionally, when he began saying his name. How could accidentally interrupt the President in front of millions of viewers?

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Craig234
And when the right sues that Obama, by the law in the constitution, did not say the oath and is not president, guess who will hear the case? John Roberts. Neat coup!

Just when you think you've seen wacky paranoia at it's height...
On a side note, that wackiness actually hit last week before the inauguration. In one of the Obama citizenship cases, the lawyers for the petitioners suggested that Roberts not give Obama the Oath of Office because (according to them) that meant that Roberts would have to recuse himself from the case when it was heard. (Suggestion for recusal on SCOTUS docket 08A524.) I wonder if they're regretting their logic and that filing now. . .

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Roberts hang your head in shame. For Being such a great example of a Bush appointee rising to your level of incompetence.

edit; "Robie you're doing a heckuva job!"

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I think Vegas has an over/under on how many "uhhh ummmm uhhhs" there would be.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: L00PY
And when the right sues that Obama, by the law in the constitution, did not say the oath and is not president, guess who will hear the case? John Roberts. Neat coup!

On a side note, that wackiness actually hit last week before the inauguration. In one of the Obama citizenship cases, the lawyers for the petitioners suggested that Roberts not give Obama the Oath of Office because (according to them) that meant that Roberts would have to recuse himself from the case when it was heard. (Suggestion for recusal on SCOTUS docket 08A524.) I wonder if they're regretting their logic and that filing now. . .

It was a joke, FuzzyBee, *parodying* the wacky craziness of the right.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

You come along and fail to notice the sarcasm in his post.

His history denotes there's some seriousness to it.

Three choices:

- Provide the examples to back up your attack

- Withdraw and apologize for the attack

- Be see as the dishonest poster you woudl be if you do neither.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Pepsei
they both screwed up....

1. Obama jumped in before Roberts was done the first line: Fault Obama

2. Roberts put ?faithfully? in wrong spot and Obama stopped and looked confused: Fault Roberts

This.

He's still of course an Islamic Communist who hates America and wants to hand over the executive branch to a joint-assembly of al-Qaeda, the Weathermen, and the Clintons business partners. I'm just saying that the two gaffes don't mean anything.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well seems OP may been on to something. they are reporting on TV that Obama redid the oath

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Leave it to some dumb-A white guy to screw things up. :laugh:

Yep. News says Obama re took the oath again.
Hopefully they got someone better to give it this time, like PeeWee Herman.

(and you thought upper class white republicans never smoked weed) :thumbsup:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Kinda like you just did.

You should really get a better handle on phrases like that before trying to apply them yourself.

Sorry the disparity in Roberts behavior that I mentioned is uncomfortable enough to make you liken what I said to hateful talk radio invective. Damn, my second sentence acknowledges nervousness, and I even say it could be nothing, and refer to Roberts as impressive and incredibly knowledgeable. I expressed doubt and resignation in lieu of self-righteous proclamations.

Yeah, sure, that sounds just like talk radio. :roll: