You know what sucks: ADD medicine rant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Ritalin is definitely overprescribed. If I'm not mistaken, most rx's come from pediatricians these days, not psychiatrists, as insurance frowns on people seeing psychiatrists or more so psychologists, yet parents want instant relief.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I'd wager that only a fraction of the people who are "diagnosed" with it actually have a real medical problem.
Last numbers I saw on this stated that %10 or less of those diagnosed actually have a medical problem. Seems that parents don't want to accept the responsibility of being bad parents in most cases since it is much easier on the ego to label your kid "ill" and medicate him rather than accept the fact you have NO parenting skills. When I was a kid there was no such thing as ADD.....kids that acted like that were called brats and usually a stiff dose of discipline usually turned them around.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
You know the best drug in the world?

Valium, I love that stuff. Wish you could buy it over the counter then I'd be HAPPY all the time :D
Valium rules. :D

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Wow, we've progressed to the point that one now has a fundamental constitutional right not to be required to submit one's medical card when filling a prescription for a controlled substance.
rolleye.gif

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

Valium, I love that stuff. Wish you could buy it over the counter then I'd be HAPPY all the time :D

Really? What does that stuff do to you? I've afraid to take that kind of stuff.

Just to get legally high.

I've only had 1 pill just before having my wisdoom teeth extracted, oh that was a fun day, it was all a blur.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Last numbers I saw on this stated that %10 or less of those diagnosed actually have a medical problem. Seems that parents don't want to accept the responsibility of being bad parents in most cases since it is much easier on the ego to label your kid "ill" and medicate him rather than accept the fact you have NO parenting skills. When I was a kid there was no such thing as ADD.....kids that acted like that were called brats and usually a stiff dose of discipline usually turned them around.
If you recall there were always a few kids who never got focused, no matter how much discipline they got. It does fit though; I'm pretty sure ADD is the most overdiagnosed disorder ever.

Anywho, what I wanted to say was that I think a lot of it is in the diet. I once saw some gal in an airport with her kid, who was running about and being overly hyper. The mom grabbed the kid and said something like "you took your pill so there's no excuse for this behavior, now sit down and be quiet or you're grounded." Sounded a little weird but okay, until the part where the kid picked up a Coke and started drinking. Coke! Flippin' full of caffiene! No wonder the kid was so damn hyper. It's stupid parents like this that are the biggest problem.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
If you recall there were always a few kids who never got focused, no matter how much discipline they got. It does fit though; I'm pretty sure ADD is the most overdiagnosed disorder ever.
Like I said.....10% or less......I didn't say NONE. But the majority of people use ADD as a crutch to avoid responsibility.....my neighbors kids are the perfect example.

bob332

Banned
Jan 25, 2002
Originally posted by: americangigolo

Really? What does that stuff do to you? I've afraid to take that kind of stuff.

An antianxiety and sedative drug used extensively in the U.S. It is used to treat status epilepticus, acute cocaine poisoning, and a variety of anxiety disorders. Prolonged use may cause dependence or tolerance.

RxList

EDIT: It's in the same class as Xanax, Klonopin, Rohypnol, among others. I don't recommend driving on Klonopin :D :confused:

is klonopin quite a bit more powerful than xanax? lately i have been taking between 1.5 and 2mg of xanax daily (prescribed by a doctor) and wonder how much of a difference klonopin wil make - i will try it out this weekend :)

my drug of choice would be morphine. the ultimate anti-anxiety drug :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

It's just kinda sad that I get stereo typed for other people's mistakes.

Only the ones your parent's made by having you ;)

sciencetoy

Oct 10, 2001
As a parent, I'd like to point out that it's not the parents who are pushing this drug. It's the schools. My kid's school reported us to DYFS when we didn't put him on Ritalin like they asked - even though his doctors, neurologists, orthopedists and psychiatrists all said not to! What a friggin mess to get out of that one - we're still listed as "problem parents" because of that one.

Every parent I know who's put their kid on ADD medicine did it only with much doubt and only after the schools insisted.

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002
I don't recommend driving on Klonopin :D :confused:

Mmm... Klonopin. That stuff does wonders. I take it for SAD, OCD and Obsessional OCD, between 1 and 3 mg depending on my anxiety level. The first time I took it I went straight to 1.5 mg and almost fell over when I tried to walk.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: sciencetoy
As a parent, I'd like to point out that it's not the parents who are pushing this drug. It's the schools. My kid's school reported us to DYFS when we didn't put him on Ritalin like they asked - even though his doctors, neurologists, orthopedists and psychiatrists all said not to! What a friggin mess to get out of that one - we're still listed as "problem parents" because of that one.

Every parent I know who's put their kid on ADD medicine did it only with much doubt and only after the schools insisted.

Probably because of the parents thinking their 'little angel' is so perfect and has to get what they want all the time...they send them off to school and the kid thinks it's just like at home...I bitch and I get everything I want, not so in school/outside the little love nest.

The school has to recommend the Ritalin because the 'brat' is disrupting education. It's not the childs fault it's the parents not being parents.

When we went to see The Hulk last week these two behemoths had a little girl with them that bit the railing constantly, pulled the papers on the windows off, and pushed other smaller kids in line when they passed each other....the mom and grandmother (I think) ignored it and when their little girl slapped another girl told the parents that it never happened and their child would NEVER do anything like that and that THEY need to get their daughter not to tell lies and stories...anyways I shoved the little brat with my knee about 3 feet into her family and acted as if nothing happened, said "HI" all nice and cute to the little sh!t when she pointed at me :) Anyone/thing that crosses my path is fair game ;) just as I am when I enter a bigger fishes domain.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: sciencetoy

Probably because of the parents thinking their 'little angel' is so perfect and has to get what they want all the time...they send them off to school and the kid thinks it's just like at home...I bitch and I get everything I want, not so in school/outside the little love nest.

The school has to recommend the Ritalin because the 'brat' is disrupting education. It's not the childs fault it's the parents not being parents.

When we went to see The Hulk last week these two behemoths had a little girl with them that bit the railing constantly, pulled the papers on the windows off, and pushed other smaller kids in line when they passed each other....the mom and grandmother (I think) ignored it and when their little girl slapped another girl told the parents that it never happened and their child would NEVER do anything like that and that THEY need to get their daughter not to tell lies and stories...anyways I shoved the little brat with my knee about 3 feet into her family and acted as if nothing happened, said "HI" all nice and cute to the little sh!t when she pointed at me :) Anyone/thing that crosses my path is fair game ;) just as I am when I enter a bigger fishes domain.

ROFLROFL

You get a kick out of pushing little kids around! You big bully! LOSER!!!!!!!!!

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm with the crowd that says that people may have a lack of attention but using drugs to correct it is going the wrong way. It need to be dealt with in other ways first and at a very, very last resort, use medicine. Just like was mention in a previous post, some brat taking drug for it and drinking a coke. Another post about the lack of discpline, this are all ways that point back to bad parenting. Sure you may have the best parents out there, but honestly do they instill displine into your life? I'm not just meaning by beating on you, but by forcing you to do something that would require your concentration. I'm wondering if any of these ADD diagnosed kids have ever sat down and did something that requires concentration, like putting a 1000 piece puzzle together. Probably not without getting up to play on their PS2.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is no such thing as ADD, there just needs to be structure in these kids lives before prescribing meds.

KK

TuffGirl

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
I think what you need to do is SIMMA DON NAH. That or keep telling yourself SERENITY NOW.

Seriously, you get all riled up over a pharmacist's wise remark? How do you know he's not rude to all his customers and that he's giving you "special treatment" because he looked at your prescription? I'm willing to bet that many pharmacists and customer service people in general don't really know how to treat customers all the time. I imagine those kinds of jobs really grate on you and it's difficult to keep pleasant and fair all the time even though they know they're supposed to.

It really sounds like you're jumping to conclusions and there's no real reason to take his remark so personally. Grow some thicker skin and have a beer on me.

:beer:

bob332

Banned
Jan 25, 2002
Originally posted by: sobriquet
I don't recommend driving on Klonopin :D :confused:

Mmm... Klonopin. That stuff does wonders. I take it for SAD, OCD and Obsessional OCD, between 1 and 3 mg depending on my anxiety level. The first time I took it I went straight to 1.5 mg and almost fell over when I tried to walk.

shi!t, you guys/girls are pu$$ie$ if you can't handle 1-1.5mg of klonopin. i took one last night, the first one i have ever took, looking forward to it from what i have read here, but nothing, didn't even feel it :(. you all had my hopes up high...

Dznuts007

Apr 26, 2000
I did not have my medical card with me and usually they will look it up in the computer. The pharmacist asked me for my ID which I showed him. Then proceeded to ask me for my medical card which I did not have. I told him nicely and politely that I filled this prescription before at the same store but at another location. He told me in a very wise remark "Well I can't fill this, I NEED YOUR CARD."

I always ask for some sort of ID for anyone bringing in a triplicate prescription or a prescription for a schedule II medication (in CA, they require triplicates for these medications). Why? Because the DEA asks for this kind of information from us when they audit the pharmacy to see if we're complying with Federal laws and the CURES project.

I don't think you were discriminated against just because you didn't have your "medical" card. I think what you meant was that you didn't have your prescription benefits card from your insurance. It's really tought to bill your insurance if you don't have your card with you. There are alot of bits of info on that card that we need to bill your insurance instead of just the name of the insurance you are under. Alot of times, a person has "Blue Cross of XXX" but their prescription benefits are processed under Caremark prescription benefits, etc. which you would have no idea and the pharmacist would have no idea unless he/she sees it on the card. 2nd, just because you filled a medication at the same company but different location does not mean that every single store has your information. Lighten up. I understand that your reaction is probably because you don't understeand the whole process. It's ok...not many people do. I have to explain this stuff to them hundreds of times a day...