You get to fix one political problem

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
End Cable News & Talk Radio opinion shows. News should be just that...News.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Take the money out of politics. No more lobbying, no more private campaign ads, no private funding. All debates and information will be funded publicly and appropriately.

If I could pick a second, I would remove the party system entirely and force candidates to be chosen purely on their merits and good nature, not just hiding behind the colored animal of their choosing.

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Take the money out of politics. No more lobbying, no more private campaign ads, no private funding. All debates and information will be funded publicly and appropriately.

If I could pick a second, I would remove the party system entirely and force candidates to be chosen purely on their merits and good nature, not just hiding behind the colored animal of their choosing.

You know thats a very good point. Kudos.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
didn't this thread just happen? USA needs Parliament.

So we should remove a check and empower the one body of government that everyone universally hates, congress? Not only that but we should make electing politicians happen at the party level, because you know, everyone loves this whole dem vs repub thing.

If we only get one thing to fix and only one, it would be an increase in the total number of representatives we have in the house so that there are more, smaller, better represented and less corruptible (as a whole) politicians.

Currently too many people are represented in the house and a lot of times the representatives don't represent the same number of people.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Post that here https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I'm actually rather ignorant when it comes to politics.

Only thing that really got me into politics was marijuana prohibition; not because I smoke it (which I enjoy infrequently), but because it was a topic I DID not choose to write about my senior year in high school. I learned a lot, and since then I've seen it as a major policy problem. I'm 35 now, so that experience has allowed me to follow the politics surrounding the issue fairly closely and have a keen eye.

Because of that, I'd end marijuana prohibition and put in a regulatory system like alcohol, and funnel the tax money to education and drug rehabilitation. In the process of changing this policy, I would release all non-violent drug offenders immediately, purge their records of any related charges/infractions, and lobby for additional/more advanced drug treatment initiatives.

I choose this because I could have the biggest impact on this subject. I would be scared to change anything else because I don't know enough about it.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Restore the 10th Amendment to its rightful place and stop using the "general welfare" clause as an excuse to do whatever the hell you want.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So we should remove a check and empower the one body of government that everyone universally hates, congress? Not only that but we should make electing politicians happen at the party level, because you know, everyone loves this whole dem vs repub thing.

I didn't say empower anything. I said get parliament. You clearly don't understand the difference.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Ding! Ding! Ding! Those are at the top of my list, too.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004

^^^This backed up by a constitutional amendment.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The toilet paper in congressional bathrooms is the scratchy stuff. I'd replace it with a better, softer brand.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I'd make long-term borrowing a heck of a lot harder. I don't want to inhibit the govt's ability to borrow for short-term situations, but this chronic deficit spending will be the death of democracy. It's simply too easy for politicians at all levels to borrow money and buy votes now and leave a fiscal mess for future generations.