You common people just don't get it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Gov. Romney just hasn't found the right messages yet...

romney-flip-flopper1.gif

but he's trying...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I pay my nephew to cut my grass but I am not rich. He needs the money because he is a liberal that cant hold down a job. There is nothing wrong with employing people to do menial tasks you dont want to do. Look at it as spreading the wealth without the help or need of the govt. The govt would make me pay twice as much and then keep half my money.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The reps and dems each have their own version of elitism, and their own version of populism. For the reps, the elitism is socio-economic. For the dems, it's educational/intellectual. Either is offensive to the "common man" in its own way. Both are, however, correct in some ways. Voters in general need to educate themselves better and learn to think critically.

Of course, a conceit common to both sides is the notion that once voters better educate themselves, they will come around to their side's way of thinking. That is the attitude reflected by the person quoted in the OP. I have my own opinion of which way reality leans and what better educated people eventually come around to. However, the general point that people could be better educated on the issues is certainly valid, no matter which side is making the point.

- wolf

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
lol half the issue with romney's image is that he's associated so much with the kind of people who would say things like that. seems to me more like they don't get the common folk, not that the common folk doesn't understand what's going on or what's at stake.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
One of the things about marketing is to convince a customer they need to buy a product.

Our political system is designed to convince people they should only vote for the major two parties.

Every election proves that the U.S. is in dire straits. People complain about the government, but will not kick the 2 major parties out of office.

There are other options out there, why not use them? And that is where the people have failed.

There is a good reason we have a two party system. The game is rigged to cause that outcome.
Watch this quick explanation and understand how the system is rigged to keep those in power in power.
The Problems with First Past the Post Voting Explained

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
The reps and dems each have their own version of elitism, and their own version of populism. For the reps, the elitism is socio-economic. For the dems, it's educational/intellectual. Either is offensive to the "common man" in its own way. Both are, however, correct in some ways. Voters in general need to educate themselves better and learn to think critically.

- wolf

The difference is that some Republicans in Texas are actually talking about removing the teaching of critical thinking from Texas schools.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...oses_teaching_of_critical_thinking_skills.php

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

If you've thought about an issue critically and disagree with me at least you have come to your position yourself.

If you just watched an opinion show and based your opinion on what you saw without checking the facts from other sources for yourself then it hurts the U.S. in general regardless of if you agree or disagree with me.

Voters do need to educate themselves. However it's hard to do now when networks decide what is news based on what will garner the most viewers rather than "what do we need to report to our viewers so that they will be the most informed."

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The middle class needs to wake up and learn a hard lesson.
And we did learn that hard lesson by living thru 8 years of GW Bush, you would have thought?
The super wealthy are like vampires, and the middle class their victim.
The vampire knows just how much blood to take to keep the victim lingering between life and death. How to maintain that fine thin line. When the victim shows any sign of recovery, they suck more blood. Then stop feeding just as once again their victim nears death.

The problem is they require more and more blood to feed on.
So at some point they will go after bigger and better pray.
Expand their options.

If you are one of the top upper class workers, making a very good living, six digit household income, maybe seven digit combined, sooner than later you too will become their victim.
When those hard core wealthy middle class republicans start getting hit by republican policies, then the shit will hit the fan.
Its all in the game and the greed of the game.

The republicans have developed a system where social issues can be used to advance economic greed. It works great.
Distraction !!!!!

Hate the gays. Hate abortion. Hate women. Hate the single mother. And especially hate the minorities.

Fact is, they don't give a crap about gays one way to the other.
We know Romney could care less if two men or two women marry.
Why should he give a crap? And he doesn't. He knows that. We know that.

They don't give a crap if some hispanic woman, or poor single woman, of if some black woman living on welfare has an abortion.
They know that. We know that.
They have no such morals to give a crap if some welfare queen gets her abortion.

The vampier is some smooth talker.
They pretend they give a crap just to fool you. To fool you into voting their way. And in the end the real issue, their economic agenda, can be advanced.
More blood and life sucked out of their victim.
That agenda of feeding off the middle class.
Maintaining that very fine line between middle class life and middle class death.
And people fall for it year after year, time and time again.
Why?
Because they can fool you into believing you are or can be immortal just as they are.
You too can be one of the super wealthy.
But it never works that way.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Take healthcare reform (yes I'm not done yet).

They want to distract you from the real issue, everyone covered with health insurance and thus lowering your obligation YOU pay to cover those un-insured.

We all know that right now those of us with employer based health insurance have seen our rates go up every single year. Benefits reduced. Co-pays increased. It never ends.
We already pay as much in monthly healthcare premiums as we pay for our home mortgage.

A milestone once predicted, and now achieved.
YEAH!!! Everyone cheer !!!!! WOOT !!!

Yet we are fooled into believing universal coverage is some scary bad thing.
That keeping with the current status quo is somehow for our benefit.
Again, maintaining that fine thin line between middle class life and death.

Queue the distraction.

Scary you with two scary words "MORE TAX".

But who cares about that?
Your premiums will triple as the system stands now over the next few years.

Queue the distraction...
Make you fear lower premiums thru reform by scaring you with chants of taxes.
Who cares if every other civilized country has single payer and people all have healthcare.
Who cares if people in every other civilized country never fall into foreclosure because of healthcare costs.
Who cares if people in every other civilized country never go bankrupt because of healthcare costs.

Who cares ????
You should. But you won't.

Queue the distraction...

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Most people lack the ability to comprehend personal finance, let alone national finance. Does Joe Sixpack have the same level of understanding in this area as the CEO of a multinational corporation? Of course not. The complaint here is simply that these people are not politically correct - they call things as they are. Heaven forbid we face the reality that the hillbillly's opinion on nuclear physics be treated as less important than a leading nuclear physicist's!

What are you talking about. The hillybillys opinion means just as much as the scientist. I learned that is especially true when it comes to evolution, stem cells, and evolution.
Right?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
What are you talking about. The hillybillys opinion means just as much as the scientist. I learned that is especially true when it comes to evolution, stem cells, and evolution.
Right?

You forgot the non-bathers who sit in parks and whine no one hands them everything they desire.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Most people lack the ability to comprehend personal finance, let alone national finance. Does Joe Sixpack have the same level of understanding in this area as the CEO of a multinational corporation? Of course not. The complaint here is simply that these people are not politically correct - they call things as they are. Heaven forbid we face the reality that the hillbillly's opinion on nuclear physics be treated as less important than a leading nuclear physicist's!

That is going under the assumption that being rich makes one smarter then all the less off folk.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I have yet to hear O'Bamma say anything intelligent.

I think you hear what you want to hear, based on a presupposed position.

Its kind of like when you're attracted to a girl and everything she says seems like a come on to you, but to your friends its obvious she doesn't even know who you are. Again, people hear what they want to hear based on pre-supposed positions.

Anyway all this elitist talk is annoying me. At the end of the day, any plan put forth by the government is ultimately being performed by the people. If the plan is too complex or "elite" that the common man doesn't see the benefit on its own or how it works, it'll be doomed to fail. So no, allowing elitists to run the country without input from the common man is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
You forgot the non-bathers who sit in parks and whine no one hands them everything they desire.

The difference however is that in science informed expert scientific opinion has more weight in scientific matters than uniformed opinion.

In terms of voting the unwashed whiner in the park has an equal say in government to the oil billionaire. That appears to be something many in this thread "just don't get".

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yeah yeah yeah I get it. Us peasants are here at the leisure of the aristocracy just so they can look down their noses at us and make themselves feel good about it.

Yeah yeah yeah I get it. Us peasants are here to serve the aristocracy and behave ourselves and make sure we "know our place" in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah yeah yeah I get it. Us peasants exist only because the aristocracy need servants, chefs and nannies. Oh and dog groomers too.

Yeah yeah yeah I get it. The aristocracy is so irritated that they can buy any politician and judge they like but they just can't buy MY vote. Awwwww.

Yeah yeah yeah. I get it. The aristocracy knows they have millions of peasants kowtowing to them and licking their boots and worshiping them and behaving like the good sycophants they are expected to be and cannot possibly understand why there are millions of other peasants that don't want to be like the ones that the aristocracy have cajoled and mesmerized with their trinkets and treasures.

All the aristocrats have to know to understand those "other" peasants that are "out of line and don't understand how things work" is that these peasants have minds of their own, are not easily propagandized, are individualistic, are not affected by mob hysteria, are NOT fundamentalist freaks and don't need more billions of $$$ than the next guy to be "happy", among other things.

Last edited:

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

They sure seem to, these CEO's seem to be no different than the general public. They just think they are smarter or better, yet the are just as idiotic as the general public. The only difference is that they have money so the mistakes they make doesn't have that big of an effect on their lifestyle.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012

Of course, a conceit common to both sides is the notion that once voters better educate themselves, they will come around to their side's way of thinking. That is the attitude reflected by the person quoted in the OP. I have my own opinion of which way reality leans and what better educated people eventually come around to. However, the general point that people could be better educated on the issues is certainly valid, no matter which side is making the point.

Excellent post on all counts.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The difference however is that in science informed expert scientific opinion has more weight in scientific matters than uniformed opinion.

In terms of voting the unwashed whiner in the park has an equal say in government to the oil billionaire. That appears to be something many in this thread "just don't get".

Ahh...you must be one of those who don't bathe and hang out in a park demanding to be given stuff for free.

What you don't get is that those hanging out in parks (and therefor have uninformed opinions) have less weight in matters of finance and business than those who run financial firms and business.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Hate the gays. Hate abortion. Hate women. Hate the single mother. And especially hate the minorities.

Believing that marriage has meaning beyond extorting benefits from the government is not hating gays.

I spot you the hate abortion one.

Believing that "independent" women should be responsible for themselves is not hating women.

As has been stated many times including on this forum by liberals, single mothers are parasites that cannot subsist without government bailouts. Hating single mothers is no different than hating AIG.

Not sure where the minority hate idea is coming from.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Ahh...you must be one of those who don't bathe and hang out in a park demanding to be given stuff for free.

What you don't get is that those hanging out in parks (and therefor have uninformed opinions) have less weight in matters of finance and business than those who run financial firms and business.

Therefore since President Barack Obama is a US Constitutional lawyer, his opinion should have more weight than some lawmaker, .e.g., John Boehner, when it comes to matters of the Constitution?

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Even educated folks vote is worthless (even if they get it).

Where you go and spend your money is the new/modern form of voting.

At the end of the day, Corporations/Business sector/Banks rule this planet. Ones people support the most are the ones that will influance/pay off/bribe aka "lobby" our government.

Get over it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

While I don't hang out in parks unwashed I can tell something about you. While you enjoy talking quite a bit your reading skills leave a lot to be desired.

I never commented one way or another on their business acumen. My comment was on their equality under the law in terms of voting rights.

How do you feel about people who misrepresent others positions?