You common people just don't get it

Oct 16, 1999
http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...ource=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=56325

[EAST HAMPTON, N.Y. – As protesters assembled on a beach in advance of Mitt Romney's evening event at the home of conservative billionaire David Koch, the candidate slipped to East Hampton for his first of three fundraisers on this tony stretch of Long Island.

The line of Range Rovers, BMWs, Porsche roadsters and one gleaming cherry red Ferrari began queuing outside of Revlon Chairman Ronald Perelman's estate off Montauk Highway long before Romney arrived, as campaign aides and staffers in white polo shirts emblazoned with the logo of Perelman's property -- the Creeks -- checked off names under tight security.

They came with high hopes for the presumed Republican nominee, who is locked in a tight race with President Obama. And some were eager to give the candidate some advice about the next four months.

A money manager in a green Jeep said it was time for Romney to "up his game and be more reactive." So far, said the donor (who would not give his name because he said it would hurt his business), Romney has had a "very timid offense."

A New York City donor a few cars back, who also would not give her name, said Romney needed to do a better job connecting. "I don't think the common person is getting it," she said from the passenger seat of a Range Rover stamped with East Hampton beach permits. "Nobody understands why Obama is hurting them.

"We've got the message," she added. "But my college kid, the baby sitters, the nails ladies -- everybody who's got the right to vote -- they don't understand what's going on. I just think if you're lower income -- one, you're not as educated, two, they don't understand how it works, they don't understand how the systems work, they don't understand the impact."

Why won't you common people just STFU, do your jobs, and let us rich folks run the country? We are the engine of the economy! Now let me enjoy my $75K dinner. Delicious crushed hope, succulent broken dreams, and a lovely glass of tears of the poor to wash it all down. So good.

60840ea2_sogood.gif

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
This isn't new. Our founding father's knew that the common person is too stupid to even vote. That's why the common person couldn't vote for Senators and still can't vote for the President.

Good thing we don't have that problem here on AT. We're all exceptional.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm not sure she's wrong, but I'm not sure many people across the whole spectrum get it. I also know many, many "common" folk who have baby sitters/nannies, nail ladies, hairdressers, lawnmen and other people who provide services that most would consider are for "rich" people only.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
"We've got the message," she added. "But my college kid, the baby sitters, the nails ladies -- everybody who's got the right to vote -- they don't understand what's going on. I just think if you're lower income -- one, you're not as educated, two, they don't understand how it works, they don't understand how the systems work, they don't understand the impact."

This person is correct; they don't get it. The common person still thinks their vote matters and that they are picking from two polar opposites.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, elitism and knowing better what people need than they do are definitely right wing traits. Oh, hang on a second, they're not. Where is eskimospy when you a show of elitism? ;)

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The lady is right, the average voter does not get it.

If the average voter was able to make an intelligent decision, they would have stopped voting for the major 2 parties decades ago.

With the democrats track record, why would anyone ever vote for a democrat.

Do not like the income tax, you can thank william taft, who was a Republican.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I guess it all depends on what "it" is that everyone is trying to get. Maybe it's more accurate to say that the top 1% and the other 99% don't get each other.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
The lady is right, the average voter does not get it.

If the average voter was able to make an intelligent decision, they would have stopped voting for the major 2 parties decades ago.

With the democrats track record, why would anyone ever vote for a democrat.

Do not like the income tax, you can thank william taft, who was a Republican.

Basically this. Rich corporatists want to run things for their benefit. Rich progressives want to run things for their own benefit. The masses just want to watch American Idol. We're doomed.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Basically this. Rich corporatists want to run things for their benefit. Rich progressives want to run things for their own benefit. The masses just want to watch American Idol. We're doomed.

One of the things about marketing is to convince a customer they need to buy a product.

Our political system is designed to convince people they should only vote for the major two parties.

Every election proves that the U.S. is in dire straits. People complain about the government, but will not kick the 2 major parties out of office.

There are other options out there, why not use them? And that is where the people have failed.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
What the people dont get is shes right. People vote based on their interests.

The funny thing is if the lower class did actually vote on their interests instead of their fears the country would be a better safer place.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
What the people dont get is shes right. People vote based on their interests.

The funny thing is if the lower class did actually vote on their interests instead of their fears the country would be a better safer place.

Not so sure about that either. Too many in the lower class are becoming conditioned to rely on the .gov taking care of them. The .gov has done a bang-up job in creating an ever growing dependency class. The .gov has done a great job creating that 'fear'. We're far down the cycle of apathy -> dependency -> bondage

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
They are also going to protest Obama's fundraisers, right?

Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
This isn't new. Our founding father's knew that the common person is too stupid to even vote. That's why the common person couldn't vote for Senators and still can't vote for the President.

Good thing we don't have that problem here on AT. We're all exceptional.

Senators relate to State sovereignty.

Nov 29, 2006
They are also going to protest Obama's fundraisers, right?

Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on?

Probably not. My guess is even though they are also filthy rich they at least pay lip service and pretend to care about the common person.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Most people lack the ability to comprehend personal finance, let alone national finance. Does Joe Sixpack have the same level of understanding in this area as the CEO of a multinational corporation? Of course not. The complaint here is simply that these people are not politically correct - they call things as they are. Heaven forbid we face the reality that the hillbillly's opinion on nuclear physics be treated as less important than a leading nuclear physicist's!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Anyone who votes for Centralized Government over Liberty doesn't 'get it'.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
This whole "Republicans are the party of the rich", is the biggest example of group cognitive dissonance I've ever seen.

I think I might need to start some conservative circle-jerk threads to counteract crap like this.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
So honesty is now a bad thing? Guess it does make sense that Bambam is president:\

Nov 29, 2006
This whole "Republicans are the party of the rich", is the biggest example of group cognitive dissonance I've ever seen.

I think I might need to start some conservative circle-jerk threads to counteract crap like this.

This whole "Democrats are the party of the poor", is the biggest example of group cognitive dissonance I've ever seen.

I think I might need to start some liberal circle-jerk threads to counteract crap like this.

Hey..this is fun.

Oct 16, 1999
Lowly commoners who struggle to put together $75K for something like college for their children should be grateful for lectures on how the real world works by the gloriously privileged who blow that amount on one meal.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Lowly commoners who struggle to put together $75K for something like college for their children should be grateful for lectures on how the real world works by the gloriously privileged who blow that amount on one meal.

The lowly commoners were not for the mandate as much as anyone else, yet you elitists in DC determined they were ignorant and were going to shepherd them whether they wanted it or not. Your White Mans Burden.

Your guys look down on people as much as anyone else. People can't be trusted to make their own decisions, so you'll do their thinking for them, or face the force of the law.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
This whole "Democrats are the party of the poor", is the biggest example of group cognitive dissonance I've ever seen.

I think I might need to start some liberal circle-jerk threads to counteract crap like this.

Hey..this is fun.

I know what you are trying to do, but reread what you wrote in the first sentence. It only proves my point.

Since I am a nice guy let me help you reword that sentence. "The Republicans are the party of Personal Responsibility".

BTW here is a wiki link for Cognitive dissonance since you clearly don't know what it means.

Edit: go look at the frontpage and compare that to republican circle-jerk thread vs democrat circle-jerk threads.

Last edited: