Yet another MTG Thread -- Crazy Is As Crazy Does

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
that seventeen year old bitch told a boy to kill himself and she was prosecuted and convicted for it. But thats not really the discussion here. Its politicians and business leaders spreading information that is so bad its actually causing deaths. In my opinion it should not be protected speech but it seems the courts are iffy about it.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
It's not, I'm saying that first and foremost promoting and spreading anger is protected by the first amendment unless it is reasonably considered to incite imminent lawless action. Imminent meaning RIGHT NOW, not some radicalizing thing where they will go kill someone tomorrow. After all this is why the first amendment protects Nazis and Klansmen despite their evil and clearly violent ideology.

So first and foremost the first amendment protects them. So hate and lies are open season unless you're repealing the first amendment. What the first amendment doesn't generally protect is defamation, which is the main thing 230 is protecting against, and defamation isn't really what you're concerned about as far as I can tell.
I would just re-emphasize that the 1st amendment only prohibits Congress from making any law that restricts speech, which has consistently been interpreted as fskimospy describes above. And this was broadened to any government agency, including all state governments as well as the Federal government.

However, the first amendment doesn't prohibit, for example, Facebook from censoring or blocking hate speech. But Congress can't mandate that Facebook do so. Nor does it prohibit private civil lawsuits for libel or for actual damages resulting from such speech. But criminal charges or government prohibitions are limited to that "imminent lawless action" standard.

The first amendment also doesn't prohibit identifying and "naming and shaming" publicly any or all purveyors of hate speech and violence with their real identities.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
that seventeen year old bitch told a boy to kill himself and she was prosecuted and convicted for it. But thats not really the discussion here. Its politicians and business leaders spreading information that is so bad its actually causing deaths. In my opinion it should not be protected speech but it seems the courts are iffy about it.
If MTG told Democrats "they should kill themselves" she couldn't be sued?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
For politicians? Like Shorty said, there was a girl convicted for that very thing.
There's exactly one case in the entire history of the US that I am aware of and it was/is viewed as HIGHLY irregular and involved her badgering a clearly suicidal person into imminent suicide.

Generally speaking though that's protected by the first amendment for everyone, politicians included.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yes, it's unusual, and was only because she encouraged a specific individual to do it. Saying suicide is a good idea in general will never get you prosecuted.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
"Biden threatening war"

As Russia amasses 100k troops and armor outside of Ukraine

LOL

The funniest part is that she will cruise to re-election.

Like Trump, her supporters will vote her back in office because "she tells it like it is", because "she has her own mind", because "she is fighting against the establishment" and because they will grasp at every other nebulously vague meme and dog whistle message they either come up with themselves or hear on FOX.

I mean, what has she actually accomplished while in office other than being the goomba hitgirl and rabble rouser for the GOP? She has no committee assignments, she has no credibility to use as leverage and her being a rookie, she has no experience to be an effective legislator representing the interests of her state other than being a pain in the ass trouble maker that her constituents back home can brag about. And like every other Repub politician in the nation, they're of course "being victimized for wanting to make America great again" which is just another meaningless battle cry to rally around.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I wish her mouth and face could be censured, permanently. I won't wish death and destruction upon her, but I'd like to never hear another word from her mouth, ever again. Kinda like ol' Donno the Orange.

That'd be nice. I might even believe in a "god" if that happened. lol

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Marjorie Taylor Greene Says Josef Mengele-COVID Link Is 'Fair Comparison'

The Georgia congresswoman added that she believes "most people" would also agree with the comparison between Mengele and Dr. Anthony Fauci.

'Most people' agree she's a stark raving lunatic.

Apparently that's just the kind of folks the GOP like to have on hand to distract from the fact that they have absolutely nothing to offer the nation's middle class and the poor other than pointing fingers at the Democratic Party and accusing them of any lie and false accusation that riles up their base while the Dems have been offering the working class and the poor many policies and programs that directly benefit their lives and livelihoods.

Tax cuts for the rich and welfare for the giant corporations of the nation is what the Repub party is hard wired to deliver. Just look at the legislation they prioritize when they take over the gov't. at all levels. It says it all as far as whose interests the party actually represents.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001