Yet ANOTHER Good, Family Values Republican bites the dust

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No one stopped him from moving to a more tolerant state.
Not disagreeing, it's just Christianity, religion in general, has a way of being built in from a young age. It's not an easy thing to discard.

Even moving to a more tolerant would likely mean leaving his life behind

Reactions: bshole

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not disagreeing, it's just Christianity, religion in general, has a way of being built in from a young age. It's not an easy thing to discard.

Even moving to a more tolerant would likely mean leaving his life behind

Not all Christians are assholes.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not all Christians are assholes.
Enough are. Just like cops, not all are assholes, enough are to create skepticism.

And if I saw the hate in a liberal area like massachusetts, you can bet your butt it's much more extreme in the midwest

It's a pretty intense hatred. They hate enough to vote 4 to 1 for a guy who directly contradicts what the established belief system is.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Enough are. Just like cops, not all are assholes, enough are to create skepticism.

And if I saw the hate in a liberal area like massachusetts, you can bet your butt it's much more extreme in the midwest

It's a pretty intense hatred. They hate enough to vote 4 to 1 for a guy who directly contradicts what the established belief system is.

I used to believe that atheists were above assholery until I discovered the wonderful world of youtube atheism where atheist douchebags outnumber reasonable atheists by a factor to 2 to 1. They appear to hate each other far more than any other demographic group.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I used to believe that atheists were above assholery until I discovered the wonderful world of youtube atheism where atheist douchebags outnumber reasonable atheists by a factor to 2 to 1. They appear to hate each other far more than any other demographic group.

You have to take into account that youtube is for the outspoken. And the haters are gonna be all over it since it allows them to spread their hate.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Anyone else feel like if we wanted to protect our kids from sexual assaults instead of transgender bathroom bills we need to ban politicians instead?

Reactions: ch33zw1z and KMFJD

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Religious classical conditioning is a bear to overcome and is why church goers adopt a herd mentality. I've already had this struggle with myself and have overcome it which is why I reject almost everything I hear coming from any religious organization.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As I'd mentioned earlier in the wrong thread: it's like there's a golden rule where the more support a Republican gives to anti-LGBT legislation, the more likely it is they'll be caught at least doing something hypocritical, if not something offensive to virtually everyone.

With that said: my heart goes out to the guy's family, especially his wife. I can't imagine the one-two punch of finding out that your husband not only cheated on you, but did so with an underage boy. Her world just got turned upside down in a heartbeat, and it'll be up to her to pick up the pieces.

you know, if conservatives just embraced their sexuality and stopped believing that their actual selves are some sort of demonic possession that needs to be "cured," they wouldn't get into these messes.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
you know, if conservatives just embraced their sexuality and stopped believing that their actual selves are some sort of demonic possession that needs to be "cured," they wouldn't get into these messes.
Religion is a facade for them to hide behind.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
While I also think that way unfortunately Oklahoma law says it is.

does it specifically say that--(lol-I didn't read)--or is the law simply that 17 is labeled as a minor, and therefore illegal?

Point being: pedophilia is an actual recognized disorder that involves attraction to pre-pubescent individuals. It has nothing to do with law--and it usually involves attraction to 8-12 year olds, even younger.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
does it specifically say that--(lol-I didn't read)--or is the law simply that 17 is labeled as a minor, and therefore illegal?

Point being: pedophilia is an actual recognized disorder that involves attraction to pre-pubescent individuals. It has nothing to do with law--and it usually involves attraction to 8-12 year olds, even younger.

Yes, per DSM 5, the actual clinical definition is being exclusively or primarily attracted to those 13 years of age or younger. According to that definition, you could even find some 13 years (or younger) attractive, so long as most of those you're attracted to are 14 or older, you're not a pedophile. It's a much narrower definition than is typically used by the general public. And yes, it has nothing to do with statutory rape laws. Such laws do not criminalize "pedophilia." They criminalize having sex with someone below a certain age cutoff which is generally well above those specified in the clinical definition.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Apparently prostitution law says 17 is underage.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
right. But being "underage" is not the same as pedophilia. If this were the case, then nearly every highschooler would be a pedophile.
Sadly, high schoolers caught having sex can be charged with pedophilia.

Especially if the parents of the "victim" push for it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
oh man, this really isn't getting across: no one is being charged with pedophilia in these situations. They are being charged with having sex with a minor.

You can only be a pedophile, with the only definition for pedophile, if you are attracted to pre-pubescent kids.

I'm not defending either, just pointing out that "pedophile" is a carelessly tossed-about phrase that is often misused for the topic at hand (and yes, I do it to. Just because. :D)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
right. But being "underage" is not the same as pedophilia. If this were the case, then nearly every highschooler would be a pedophile.

There has already been quite a few men labelled pedophiles for having sex with underaged youths. Since he is a legislator, he should have a taste of his own medicine.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Actually, the age of consent in OK is apparently 16. Not sure what the "underage" thing is about, unless there is a different age of consent if prostitution is involved.
Just what does the "age of consent" have to do with prostitution?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Look up Christians burning heretics and why so much HATE over tiny differences of doctrine.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Just what does the "age of consent" have to do with prostitution?
In this case it seems there are two different rules.

An adult is allowed to have sex with a kid as young as 16 in this state however it's considered underage sex if it's in the case of prostitution.

JMC2000

Jun 8, 2006
In this case it seems there are two different rules.

An adult is allowed to have sex with a kid as young as 16 in this state however it's considered underage sex if it's in the case of prostitution.
Similar to Alabama, anyone over 18 (19 in AL) can be charged with sex abuse or statutory rape, even though the age of consent is 16.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Similar to Alabama, anyone over 18 (19 in AL) can be charged with sex abuse or statutory rape, even though the age of consent is 16.
He should've went to Canada to fool around.:eek: Anyway it's still against the law to travel to another country to participate in illegal activities so people who travel for sex tourism with children are still wrong no matter how you slice it.