Yeah 24HR. Stable Orthos

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Elfear
Very nice. That's a good oc on that dual-core.

I got a good stepping: CCBBE 0610DPMW

I was thinking, I have a better fan I ordered coming for the Tuniq, then I might try to push it to 3ghz. This stepping is known for clocks up to 3ghz.

ALOHA

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Nice OC. I have my lidded Opty 170 running stable at 2.75Ghz at 1.46V with an AC Pro 64. Now you got me wanting a Tuniq, but that thing's a beast. What Core Temps are you getting at idle and load?

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: MadScientist
Nice OC. I have my lidded Opty 170 running stable at 2.75Ghz at 1.46V with an AC Pro 64. Now you got me wanting a Tuniq, but that thing's a beast. What Core Temps are you getting at idle and load?

Well my room temps are 75F-85F, case temps are like in the 80s so my idle is like 31-33, and load under Orthos was 47-51.

But you can't really consider it this way, everyone will be different based on their ambient temps.

All I can tell you is it's a nice HSF, and it's not heavy it's not going to break a board, LOL.

BUT get a better fan, like 60+ CFM, the stock fan doesn't push that much air.

By the way I'm only 180mhz away from 3.0ghz WoOT ;)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hate to break it to ya, but I've heard that 100+ cfm fans don't help the Tuniq Tower 120 that much in the cooling department. Maybe you'll have better luck. The only HSFs I've seen benchmarked to have shown any major improvement with high-cfm fans have been the original Big Typhoon (not the VX, not sure how it reacts to high cfm fans) and the Ultra 120. The Big Typhoon stops responding positively to fans faster than ~100-110 cfm.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX
Hate to break it to ya, but I've heard that 100+ cfm fans don't help the Tuniq Tower 120 that much in the cooling department. Maybe you'll have better luck. The only HSFs I've seen benchmarked to have shown any major improvement with high-cfm fans have been the original Big Typhoon (not the VX, not sure how it reacts to high cfm fans) and the Ultra 120. The Big Typhoon stops responding positively to fans faster than ~100-110 cfm.

Ok we'll see how it goes. The fan I'm getting is the Aerocool Xtreme Turbine 89CFM.

http://www.aerocool.us/p-accessory/xtreme%20turbine/xtreme%20turbine.htm

If it doesn't do anything I'll just keep it as a spare case fan, I guess you can never have to many spare case fans laying around, LOL. ;)

ALOHA

brock01

Jul 28, 2006
nice, ya i would be interested in how that fan works for ya
please post your results from the stock fan to that one
thanks man, cant wait to see the result's

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Nice OC. a 1GHz overclock is really nice, nothing like getting FX-60 speeds from a cheaper chip :D

Have you tried lowering voltage any more or does it get unstable? Just curious since my opty 165 0617FPMW is at 2.81GHz fully stable with stock voltage. Might help with temps too, I get around 50-52 C on coretemp with my zalman CNPS9500. My chip is naked too, funny how I dropped by the same amount as you did when I popped my IHS off.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Ok forget it, others told me the Aerocool specs aren't accurate, so I'm going to take that fan and a Pabst I ordered and stick those in my WorkRig, and I just ordered 3 Yate Loon D12SM from Petra.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html

I'll stick on my GameRig, one for the front of the case, one for the Tuniq, and a one a spare.

Hey you always need a spare sitting around. ;)

ALOHA

Noubourne

Dec 15, 2003
Nice job.

Hmmm, 10C popping the IHS eh?

What are you using to protect the core?

My temps on my opty are a tad high and I've been considering popping the IHS. If I load one core I get 45C. If I load the other core I get 64C. With both loaded I can hit 70C at just 1.4v and 2880. I suspect my IHS mount is bad but I usually see people losing only a few degress when popping the top.

Good post. Food for thought.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Noubourne
Nice job.

My temps on my opty are a tad high and I've been considering popping the IHS. If I load one core I get 45C. If I load the other core I get 64C. With both loaded I can hit 70C at just 1.4v and 2880. I suspect my IHS mount is bad but I usually see people losing only a few degress when popping the top.

Sounds like either your HSF needs to be lapped and is convace, or the IHS, or both.

Make sure the HSF has a nice flat bottom. I'm not using anything to protect the core. I just made sure not to crank the HSF down onto it to hard is all.

Lap HSF:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/heatsinklappingguide.php

In that TUT for lapping the HSF, don't do the, "rotate the heat sink 90°"

BAD idea stupid going across the grains, pick a direction and just stick to it.

IHS Removal:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/a64-ihs-removal.php

Good luck

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Not that I want to burst your bubble or anything, but normally you should run just the stress test as It doesn't give your cpu "breaks" as the blend test does. Additionally, I only see one core being stressed...you should run two instances to really claim "stable" on a dual core....just my thoughts.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Tweakin
Not that I want to burst your bubble or anything, but normally you should run just the stress test as It doesn't give your cpu "breaks" as the blend test does. Additionally, I only see one core being stressed...you should run two instances to really claim "stable" on a dual core....just my thoughts.

Orthos is multi-threaded and automatically makes two threads stressing both cores. On a quad core it creates four threads. See there are two lists of tests, one per core. You must be thinking of SP2004, which was single threaded so you needed to manually run multiple instances of it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: DasFox
Ok forget it, others told me the Aerocool specs aren't accurate, so I'm going to take that fan and a Pabst I ordered and stick those in my WorkRig, and I just ordered 3 Yate Loon D12SM from Petra.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html

I'll stick on my GameRig, one for the front of the case, one for the Tuniq, and a one a spare.

Hey you always need a spare sitting around. ;)

ALOHA

It should be interesting to see how much those fans help in the Tuniq. If/when I get around to upgrading next, I'm going to have to try and talk myself out of pairing an Ultra-120 with one of those crazy 220 cfm Delta fans. Whoooosh.

Seriously though, good luck with that.

Hmm, just about every IHS lapping guide I've seen recommends rotating the processor 90 degrees occasionally. Why is it bad to go across grains when lapping HSFs? And is it bad to go across grains when lapping an IHS?

Noubourne

Dec 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Noubourne
Nice job.

Sounds like either your HSF needs to be lapped and is convace, or the IHS, or both.

Make sure the HSF has a nice flat bottom. I'm not using anything to protect the core. I just made sure not to crank the HSF down onto it to hard is all.

Lap HSF:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/heatsinklappingguide.php

IHS Removal:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/a64-ihs-removal.php

Good luck

Thanks for the tips.

I've checked my HSF and CPU with a blade, and I know that my CPU is a tad concave - almost imperceptibly so, but the tiny bit of AS5 I put on it spreads out evenly when the heatsink is mounted, and I think it is making good contact.

The thing is, I wouldn't bother lapping the CPU. If I'm going to void the warranty on it, I'd just pop the top. I guess another factor is the possiblity of resale. I'd really like to move to Quad core this summer, and I'm not sure I'll be able to do that without a boost in finances from my current rig. Even if Optys are selling for that much, my stepping might be able to fetch a tad more, fully stable at 2.8Ghz even with the suspected bad IHS mount.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I just found that rotating the processor 90 degrees occasionally is a pain and takes longer. Think about you scuff one way, then you scuff another, and you have to phase them out, so just going in one direction gets the job done faster.