Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Anyone else getting a "Server Error" message and getting punted? happened to me yesterday.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Anyone else getting a "Server Error" message and getting punted? happened to me yesterday.

regularly ... about every 3 hours
:Q

... which is a very *good* thing or i may have had NO sleep last night :p
:sun:

[3 Characters past Level 10 ... 1 to Level 2o]
rose.gif

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin

rose.gif

Wow! I'm still stuck on level 6 with my one character...

I did not get a chance to play yesterday though.

So if I need a little help clearing out the library I can give you a call right? ;)

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

rose.gif

So if I need a little help clearing out the library I can give you a call right? ;)

KT

you mean the Brutish Museum?

:D

easy as pie ... clear ALL the rooms FIRST - before you meet the Emperor [and concentrate everything on him] - or prepare to die a LOT
[do all the optional quests first and level just before you enter it; or time it to level up during a heavy fight scene so you get all your health]

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

rose.gif

KT

you mean the Brutish Museum?

easy as pie ... clear ALL the rooms FIRST - before you meet the Emperor [and concentrate everything on him] - or prepare to die a LOT
[do all the optional quests first and level just before you enter it; or time it to level up during a heavy fight scene so you get all your health]

I'm thinking if I crack level 7 before I go in there I should be able to handle him, plus I was able to mod and upgrade a couple of my weapons before logging the other night, so I should be good to go.

Looking forward to some zombie carnage! :D

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm stopping at wal-mart after work tonight so i might pick it up. i'm a bit hesitant.
i really want a new game to play though.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
i'm stopping at wal-mart after work tonight so i might pick it up. i'm a bit hesitant.

buy it ... wth ... you don't like most games :p

give it some time ... it is a slow starter ... BUT ~Level 10 it gets *addictive*
-and there IS replayability

Oh - price match to Curseit City ... it is $39
:gift:

PresidentThomasJefferson

Aug 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
since the demo sucks ass, how can one experience the "true" game without actually buying it?

The actual game can't be that much different from the demo. Did they completely redo the graphics, animations, sound (weak weapons and cheesy voices), repetitive click-click gameplay, crappy monsters, boring level design, and clunky UI?

based on what people who played the beta say, it seems like it.

ya, the RETAIL GAME HAS HI-RES GRAPHICS (demo has low-res graphics), more/better sounds! (realistic, u can hear water dripping, footsteps sound different depending on what u walk on), IMPROVED AI, TONS OF MORE VARIETY OF MOBS (wait til u get to Milliniem level in Act 2, around level 12 or 13, 3rd or 4th city), great massive levels

DON'T JUDGE THE DEMO.. demo levels are simple/basic... around lv 8-10 (British Museum & Millienum are my favs so far & I'm just lvl 15 out of 50 is what the game just explodes in variety.. u will shit your pants once u get to MIllienum in 3rd city ..hordes of stormtrooper demons shooting it out with NPC AI (about 8 to 16 NPCs) on the battlefield as u join/help out/try to save them/ or just activate the turrets to help u..(like Halo AI battles, stuff going off/explosions eveyrwhere) while 4 gigantic Goliath demons shoot u while u weave inbetween them--it's like the Hoth Battle in Empire STrikes back set in a canyon.. the loot spawns are awesomne too

I keep comparing it to Halo because if u play an /evoker or hunter, it plays like a FPS ..AI gets smart, start dodging bullets using cover, heal each other, etc.. don't let the non-existent AI in the demo/
early levels fool u

The game docs/manual SUCKS! Here's better guides to explain things:

chat guide: http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=23212
mini-game guide for better loot: http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=22695
game guide http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=22548

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

buy it ... wth ... you don't like most games :p

give it some time ... it is a slow starter ... BUT ~Level 10 it gets *addictive*
-and there IS replayability

Oh - price match to Curseit City ... it is $39
:gift:

how do you do a pricematch at wal-mart? do i just print out CC's webpage for the game or what? and do I just show it to the cashier?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: PresidentThomasJefferson
since the demo sucks ass, how can one experience the "true" game without actually buying it?

The actual game can't be that much different from the demo. Did they completely redo the graphics, animations, sound (weak weapons and cheesy voices), repetitive click-click gameplay, crappy monsters, boring level design, and clunky UI?

ya, the RETAIL GAME HAS HI-RES GRAPHICS (demo has low-res graphics), more/better sounds! (realistic, u can hear water dripping, footsteps sound different depending on what u walk on), IMPROVED AI, TONS OF MORE VARIETY OF MOBS (wait til u get to Milliniem level in Act 2, around level 12 or 13, 3rd or 4th city), great massive levels

DON'T JUDGE THE DEMO.. demo levels are simple/basic... around lv 8-10 (British Museum & Millienum are my favs so far & I'm just lvl 15 out of 50 is what the game just explodes in variety.. u will shit your pants once u get to MIllienum in 3rd city ..hordes of stormtrooper demons shooting it out with NPC AI (about 8 to 16 NPCs) on the battlefield as u join/help out/try to save them/ or just activate the turrets to help u..(like Halo AI battles, stuff going off/explosions eveyrwhere) while 4 gigantic Goliath demons shoot u while u weave inbetween them--it's like the Hoth Battle in Empire STrikes back set in a canyon.. the loot spawns are awesomne too

I keep comparing it to Halo because if u play an /evoker or hunter, it plays like a FPS ..AI gets smart, start dodging bullets using cover, heal each other, etc.. don't let the non-existent AI in the demo/
early levels fool u

mini-game guide for better loot: http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=22695

Go. Away.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

early levels fool u

Go. Away.

PresidentThomasJefferson

Aug 1, 2007
No, I won't .. freedom of speech.. dont like it, tough! I've yet to see u post a constructive or helpful post so u go away..but if your life sucks so bad u have to choose a grinch avatar icon (I bet you were one of those unpopular kids in school & don't have many real-life friends) & threadcap/shit on other replies, then don't bother sharing your negative outlook distorted by the misery in your loserish life .. there's plenty of killjoys in every hobby from skydiving to partying to bodybuilding who find nothing better in thier life besides being a killjoy.. u must be such a hit at parties :p LOL

BTW, it's called freedom of speech..u don't like what I post, just skip it because I'm going to post as much as I want --in fact, even more now just to piss u off & defy u :p MUAHAHAHA

WHY ARE U EVEN READING A THREAD ABOUT A GAME U DON'T EVEN LIKE? What, are u still stuck in the 'unpopular' crowd mentality looking through the window of party u weren't invited too & trying to bring it down ?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
No, I won't .. freedom of speech.. dont like it, tough! I've yet to see u post a constructive or helpful post so u go away..but if your life sucks so bad u have to choose a grinch avatar icon (I bet you were one of those unpopular kids in school & don't have many real-life friends) & threadcap/shit on other replies, then don't bother sharing your negative outlook distorted by the misery in your loserish life .. there's plenty of killjoys in every hobby from skydiving to partying to bodybuilding who find nothing better in thier life besides being a killjoy.. u must be such a hit at parties :p LOL

BTW, it's called freedom of speech..u don't like what I post, just skip it because I'm going to post as much as I want --in fact, even more now just to piss u off & defy u :p MUAHAHAHA

WHY ARE U EVEN READING A THREAD ABOUT A GAME U DON'T EVEN LIKE? What, are u still stuck in the 'unpopular' crowd mentality looking through the window of party u weren't invited too & trying to bring it down ?

I am stupider from reading your posts. I also threw up in my mouth a little bit.

And I like the game. It's you I don't like.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

I am stupider from reading your posts. I also threw up in my mouth a little bit.

And I like the game. It's you I don't like.

LMFAO :D :thumbsup:
and in a more helpful vein, the patch is now available, the option pops up when you start the launcher
It's still patching on mine, no word yet on any improvements

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i picked it up...it sure takes a long fucking time to install though...wow

i'm only a 1/4 of the way done and its been going for like 10 minutes already.

WTF!??!?!?! its only like 1/3 of the way done!! did it take this long for anyone else?

yay...almost an hour after i started the install i'm finally 2/3 of the way done!

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

WTF!??!?!?! its only like 1/3 of the way done!! did it take this long for anyone else?

yay...almost an hour after i started the install i'm finally 2/3 of the way done!

Took a long time for me as well.

It's worth it, :p

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe

I hope so...I'm at the 2nd station right now and except for maybe a few more/harder enemies, the demo is pretty much spot on.

I've tried blademaster, summoner, evoker, and engineer up to about lvl 3. so far i've liked the blademaster and summoner the most.

They really need to get rid of the crosshair spread thing. it just doesn't fit in this type of game. you have to keep moving which raises the spread and then to continuously fire raises it more, so you basically have horrible aim.

I guess raising the accuracy skill helps, but it seems like its going to be awhile before it really makes that much of a difference.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

I hope so...I'm at the 2nd station right now and except for maybe a few more/harder enemies, the demo is pretty much spot on.

I've tried blademaster, summoner, evoker, and engineer up to about lvl 3. so far i've liked the blademaster and summoner the most.

They really need to get rid of the crosshair spread thing. it just doesn't fit in this type of game. you have to keep moving which raises the spread and then to continuously fire raises it more, so you basically have horrible aim.

I guess raising the accuracy skill helps, but it seems like its going to be awhile before it really makes that much of a difference.

Crosshair spread fits in fine. Marksmen are going to have high accuracy and less spread than a Summoner.

It doesnt take much for a Rifles spread to be very small.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

maybe 30 minutes tops ... with Antivirus off :p

i am *addicted* to this game ...Level 16 Engineer .. and past where the beta ends ..

*Good Gawd* ... every level gets NUTS ... it is like Serious Sam gone wild
- and the Engineer leveled MUCH slower then the Blademaster in the Beta ... he is really coming into "his own" as a killing machine now
---i am impressed

[but then i never played Diablo]

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
hmm...ok, doing quests in the Covenant area and getting better weapons and stuff and I'm liking it better. playing as a Marksman now. Dual wielding pistols is pretty damn and fun!

I'm lvl 6 or 7 now and I'm completely lost where to put skill points . i've got them pretty spread out right now. I figure in SP though, someone will eventually make a character editor or trainer or something and then I can just rearrange later. I think i have 2 in the tactical stance, 1 in rapid fire, 1 grenade, 1 napalm and i think i have one not spent yet.

I've been breaking down every weapon and armor I can't or won't use for components. I've seen lots of neat gear in the shops but its all so expensive!

Can you trade items between characters in the SP game? I don't think you can but was curious.

at first i wasn't too impressed but now i'm getting to like it. i may keep it after all.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
hmm...ok, doing quests in the Covenant area and getting better weapons and stuff and I'm liking it better. playing as a Marksman now. Dual wielding pistols is pretty damn and fun!

I'm lvl 6 or 7 now and I'm completely lost where to put skill points . i've got them pretty spread out right now. I figure in SP though, someone will eventually make a character editor or trainer or something and then I can just rearrange later. I think i have 2 in the tactical stance, 1 in rapid fire, 1 grenade, 1 napalm and i think i have one not spent yet.

I've been breaking down every weapon and armor I can't or won't use for components. I've seen lots of neat gear in the shops but its all so expensive!

Can you trade items between characters in the SP game? I don't think you can but was curious.

at first i wasn't too impressed but now i'm getting to like it. i may keep it after all.

don't F-up the skills ... there are no "do overs" like weapons mods
[that said i deleted my best weapon :eek:]

If you are a marksman or engineer it stands to reason your Firepower is the *thing* ... as an engineer, my drones and my armor protects me ... he is physically just strong enough to carry his armor and weapons ...
--BUT you have weapons so you need a LOT of "accuracy" [imo]
... then you decide between health and energy :p
[if you start to have a low health reserve, bump it way up with the next level up]

i really like this game ... is is SO unlike Oblivion/Gothic3/2Worlds where although you "specialize" you can always cross-skill ... not so here ... you really need to plan your Char out to have an easy time
-third time thru i think i got it :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
thats part of the problem though. i don't want to put points into really any of the beginning skills. they all seem to suck. even the later skills don't look all that appealing.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
As a Marksman I am loading up on tactical stance and I find at around level 5 it really makes a big difference. My crits are way up and with the sniper rifle I have upgraded and modded; I can kill a tonne of things with one shot from a very good distance.

I guess what I am trying to say is some of the effects of the skill smay not be noticeable until you get them a little higher.

Except for the grenade, it just sucks no matter what. I think it is bugged though.

KT