Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Mouse lag went away after i lower the gfx settings, runs fine now...

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Judgement
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Judgement
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: apoppin
Why bother ? ... everything IS up-to-date
:confused:

Just play ... the only reason to install it over is to play SP ... and you will need to patch it :p

Yeah, I have this weird error every time I start the game. It's totally innocuous and I can still still play the game, but it's annoying and this should fix it up.

Also, as Judgement said, the movies are not there, which I would not mind seeing.

I'm not happy about having to patch though...

KT

Can't even patch ATM though cause the servers are down.

Yeah I know, but I just watched the intro movies (very cool) and I have to go out in an hour anyway.

I was hoping to get some playing time in, but oh well.

KT

Did you have any problems with the voices in the intro movie? I couldn't hear them unless my speakers were cranked up.

Nope, no problems whatsoever.

KT

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Did anyone else pre order this game from the EA store? It takes the registration code, but it is declining my pre order code.....

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: JD50
Did anyone else pre order this game from the EA store? It takes the registration code, but it is declining my pre order code.....

EA getting their hands on this game was bad enough. I pre-ordered a hard copy from Amazon UK rather than risk EA messing things up.

Guys- I played as an Engineer in Beta... only got to about level 5 but he was rather weak, nothing compared to my Marksman. The slowing Drones were cool but the combat Drone was useless. Is the Rocket Drone any good?

What are you guys doing to your Engineers to make them useful?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs

EA getting their hands on this game was bad enough. I pre-ordered a hard copy from Amazon UK rather than risk EA messing things up.

Guys- I played as an Engineer in Beta... only got to about level 5 but he was rather weak, nothing compared to my Marksman. The slowing Drones were cool but the combat Drone was useless. Is the Rocket Drone any good?

lot of skill points into accuracy

as many points into slowing drone as it allows... combat drone is cool after it is hardened ... healing drone isn't much :p

Level 7 Engineer MaximusRex ... attempting the Brutish Museum
--i think i am a little low for this one-- no it is NOT as fun the third time thru

back tomorrow ... bedtime ...
:moon:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

as many points into slowing drone as it allows... combat drone is cool after it is hardened ... healing drone isn't much :p

--i think i am a little low for this one-- no it is NOT as fun the third time thru

After the game patched i was able to get back in and i started an Engineer, i roll through mobs like a hot knife through butter, made level 5 last night , with two good guns they do some meaan damage, just kite the mobs.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

but isn't that the point of the random level generator? supposed to make it infinitely replayable? i only played through D2 once because it was boring as hell doing the exact smae thing over and over.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

I just played through that at level 7 last night. Killing the emperor was tough because I forgot if you try to back up he just spawns more of the statues to kill you. But I eventually got him, only boss that has given me any trouble so far.

My first crack at Engineer, I like it but not as much as my BM who is just a killing machine.

Kind of bummed that there is no way to transfer a char from SP to MP.

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
Good morning,
Does Hellgate offer wide-screen resolutions?

What kind of hardware is it going to take to get smooth framerates?

Did a search here at the Anandtech Forums, didn't see anything at the Hellgate website.

Thanks,
PCM

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: pcmodem
Good morning,
Does Hellgate offer wide-screen resolutions?

What kind of hardware is it going to take to get smooth framerates?

Did a search here at the Anandtech Forums, didn't see anything at the Hellgate website.

Thanks,
PCM

Yes it does.

It really all depends on what resolution you are playing at and what kind of eye candy you want on. I'm playing at 1920x1200 with the rig in my sig with everything on high/very high and I have never experienced any slowdowns.

KT

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I think performance has gone down a bit between beta and release.

I am currently running:

Opteron 165 @ 2.5
2 GB RAM
X1900XT

and run at 1920x1200 with everything set to at least high and no AA. Before I could run very high on the textures and "low" AA and still get acceptable frames.

Warning, going from very high to high on textures makes the game look like absolute crap, seems more like a high-->med move to me.

I haven't tried any grouping yet, but if any of you guys are late night EST people give me a buzz if you want to run around, my engineer is named Zeytus and if I were to run around with someone I would prefer someone from AT instead of a random retard.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I suggest you read this thread very carefully. The Demo did not in any way shape or form, provide the gaming experience of anything close to the private Beta. Alas, basing a decision on this Demo is a sad thing. The HG:L guys shot themselves in the foot by releasing a poor demo.
Their mistake then, although the reviews I have seen thus far echo what I experienced in the demo...that Hellgate London will appeal to diehard Diablo fans, but the rest of us, not so much.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
I suggest you read this thread very carefully. The Demo did not in any way shape or form, provide the gaming experience of anything close to the private Beta. Alas, basing a decision on this Demo is a sad thing. The HG:L guys shot themselves in the foot by releasing a poor demo.
Their mistake then, although the reviews I have seen thus far echo what I experienced in the demo...that Hellgate London will appeal to diehard Diablo fans, but the rest of us, not so much.

Definitely a mistake on their part. Then they go and do stupid things like taking the servers down voluntarily on launch day. Not a great start.

But what can I say, I really like this game and I have never played Diablo. /shrug

KT

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
since the demo sucks ass, how can one experience the "true" game without actually buying it?

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
since the demo sucks ass, how can one experience the "true" game without actually buying it?

The actual game can't be that much different from the demo. Did they completely redo the graphics, animations, sound (weak weapons and cheesy voices), repetitive click-click gameplay, crappy monsters, boring level design, and clunky UI?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005

Leap of faith;)?

Partly why I stopped trying demos. Other than download time, by buying the game, I'm "investing" so I have to work hard to make sure there's a return even if it sucks. Worked great for Arma; singleplayer stunk, but I stuck with it and found out multi-coop/mod rocked.

Hellgate looks cool, but there isn't enough for me to want to buy it...yet.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

The actual game can't be that much different from the demo. Did they completely redo the graphics, animations, sound (weak weapons and cheesy voices), repetitive click-click gameplay, crappy monsters, boring level design, and clunky UI?

based on what people who played the beta say, it seems like it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Pretty much :p

the only way would be to enter the beta - if it is still possible - and i think they leave it up for another few days to give people time to get their retail copy.

i believe i have a key left ;)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

the only way would be to enter the beta - if it is still possible - and i think they leave it up for another few days to give people time to get their retail copy.

so are you agreeing with what he is saying? I thought you really liked it?
I'll try the key if you want to give it away. couldn't hurt to try.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
did they change the way the marksman grenades work in beta or retail?
In the demo you throw them 100 yards away, they bounce like crazy, and you can barely see them.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: flashbacck
did they change the way the marksman grenades work in beta or retail?
In the demo you throw them 100 yards away, they bounce like crazy, and you can barely see them.

Not sure. I didn't even slot the trait until late the other day because of how dumb I thought they were in beta.

I'll have to give it another try tonight to see if they are improved.

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

so are you agreeing with what he is saying? I thought you really liked it?
I'll try the key if you want to give it away. couldn't hurt to try.

i am agreeing that it has changed enough to be significantly better than the demo

i have taken 3 characters - all so far thru ACT 1; and one thru Act 3 ... and i like it

they keep changing stuff ... the quests are the same ... the way you fight the bosses are very different ... so far, i really like the Blademaster ... and that is the one that was deleted in the Beta :p

:roll:

your key is on the way in a PM

EDIT: i guess it's over, sorry :(