Yay Hellgate London beta!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Just use the mouse wheel to zoom in :-D

Heh, yeah, that's what I thought it was, but unfortunately that is not working. :(

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
It still crashes to desktop every now and then ... and it is the same old quests . ... the dungeons change slightly and the loot is randomized .... but ...

the graphics are greatly improved over the beta ... the 'effects' are better and HDR appears to be working nicely ... still can't get DX10 to login ... it just won't finish loading

Level7 and i liked the Blademaster better
-i am not so good with a grappler .... the shield IS cool but i'd rather have a 2nd sword

Just tell me to go to hell ....

OK

:D

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
<3

So you're still playing on your ::beta:: account, right? Not the account you've created because you've pre-ordered the game.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
<3

So you're still playing on your ::beta:: account, right? Not the account you've created because you've pre-ordered the game.

of course ...

but it is kind of boring playing it thru the second time :p

-the dungeons DO change ... the loot changes ... the NPCs vary ... but the boss and quests remain the same

Now if i finish it by tomorrow, do i save $40?
:confused:

there are 5 acts and i think it allows the beta players to complete 3 ... i am done with Act 1

... and basically you are getting me here on every crash ... about 1:45 minutes since the last one ... still no DX10 ... i will try now

aloha ...

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Okey doke I think I have discovered you can't play first-person with a melee class, which totally sucks for me. :(

So I went and made a Marksman, just like my previous beta character and the good times started rolling. I got to level 6 and I was not bored re-doing any of those quests the 3rd time around. I just love the weapon upgrade and modification system, which makes essentially all loot worthwhile.

Oh, and not to rub it or anything apoppin, but I did not have a single crash the entire 2.5 hours I just played...lucky I guess. Overall the game feels a little more polished after the updates they applied today, but I still would love to be able to try DX10.

Anyway, off for the night. I'll check to see if any local stores have the game at lunch tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
still crashing ... just now [almost 3 hours] :p
--that's WHY i am back
:roll:

and is ANYONE getting full DX10?
- i am playing with maxed out DX9 and it DOES look much nicer then the beta

But definitely NOT enjoying it as much the 2nd time around ...
- which is the usual for me

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Not thrilled with it at all. My main complaint is my character gets stuck in some places and I can't move. I have to then quit the game and reload. Sure it's beta, but I hope they remove any chance of getting stuck in the final. There is no chance however, that I will be buying a membership to this game. Not my type of game. But, I gave it a try.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
still crashing ... just now [almost 3 hours] :p
--that's WHY i am back
:roll:

and is ANYONE getting full DX10?
- i am playing with maxed out DX9 and it DOES look much nicer then the beta

But definitely NOT enjoying it as much the 2nd time around ...
- which is the usual for me

DX10 works fine. I was playing this morning before work.

Cant wait until Friday for my hardcopy.

DX10 in this latest run through is not as smooth as the final beta to be honest. I must have shaved off 10-20 FPS average although at 1920x1080 @ high with most DX10 only options off, approx 25 min FPS i have seen cannot be sniffed at.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I was playing last night as my Marksman for a good 3 hours without a hiccup. No crashes at all. I was happy to see the servers up before the game was even launched. :) And boy I'm glad EBGames shipped it to me a day early! Too bad someone stole my character's name (rapture). :(

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Fortunately I did not get through too much of the beta the first and second time, so this time I am already into new content at level 6 1/2. Still really itching to try DX10. Maybe I need to disable Crossfire...

I'm kind of irritated that the game is selling for $60 everywhere up here and you can buy it in the US for $40. Considering where our dollar is at I thought it would at least be closer to $50 here. :roll:

Anyone know how long I can use the beta client before having to install the retail game?

KT

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
The new patch really seems to have improved things. Maybe it's just because I'm in the early areas again, but things don't seem to be chugging like they used to, and the graphics look slightly nicer. Loot seems to have been toned down a touch, too. If they actually fixed the memory leaks, I might buy a copy of the game.

If I understand it correctly, we have another week of beta play, and then when you go official by buying the retail release (be it this week or next), your characters from the beta transfer over to the live servers. Reasonable deal.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Good stuff, thanks. Since I have a week I think I will just order it from Amazon, since it is $50 with free shipping. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I popped by the local Futureshop at lunch on my way to picking up some food and the guy was putting Hellgate out onto the shelves. Got it for $50 as I hoped I would.

I probably will not get a chance to actually install it until Friday, not that it makes a difference either way.

Was in-game chat working for anyone yesterday? I could not see the window anywhere and it appears it was not working. :confused:

Cheers,
KT

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Played through the demo over the weekend, and I have to say that after all the hype, Hellgate London did not deliver.

First the graphics...the game world feels very repetitive and static, and the textures and graphics are 2 years behind the power curve...the random dungeon approach worked well for Diablo given the maturity of graphics at the time, but this approach to level design does not work in a fully realized 3D world.

The enemy AI poses absolutely no challenge. I don't recall the character class, but I chose the military shooter class in the demo, and chose to play from a FPS perspective...for this class, you can stand off at a distance, and quite easily pick off the demon hordes...by the time the AI reacts to your attacks, and start to charge you, they are dead.

I switched to a traditional 3rd person perspective, thinking it might change the feel of the game, but it simply made things more frustrating...not harder or more immersive.

The gameplay mechanics are RPG-lite at best, which again worked well for Diablo, but is not translating very well to PC gaming of today...given the advances in gameplay mechanics since Diablo's release, players expect a more immersive gameplay experience, even for an action RPG...running around fulfilling FEDEX or kill X of Y quests doesn't excite me anymore, and gaining the best loot isn't enough of a motivation for me to continue playing a game.

The music and sound effects didn't really add much to the gameplay experience, but I think BioShock spoiled me in that regard.

Overall, I have to say that Hellgate London was a bit letdown...which is unfortunate, because I did enjoy the Diablo series, and had high hopes for this game.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Played through the demo over the weekend, and I have to say that after all the hype, Hellgate London did not deliver.

First the graphics...the game world feels very repetitive and static, and the textures and graphics are 2 years behind the power curve...the random dungeon approach worked well for Diablo given the maturity of graphics at the time, but this approach to level design does not work in a fully realized 3D world.

The enemy AI poses absolutely no challenge. I don't recall the character class, but I chose the military shooter class in the demo, and chose to play from a FPS perspective...for this class, you can stand off at a distance, and quite easily pick off the demon hordes...by the time the AI reacts to your attacks, and start to charge you, they are dead.

I switched to a traditional 3rd person perspective, thinking it might change the feel of the game, but it simply made things more frustrating...not harder or more immersive.

The gameplay mechanics are RPG-lite at best, which again worked well for Diablo, but is not translating very well to PC gaming of today...given the advances in gameplay mechanics since Diablo's release, players expect a more immersive gameplay experience, even for an action RPG...running around fulfilling FEDEX or kill X of Y quests doesn't excite me anymore, and gaining the best loot isn't enough of a motivation for me to continue playing a game.

The music and sound effects didn't really add much to the gameplay experience, but I think BioShock spoiled me in that regard.

Overall, I have to say that Hellgate London was a bit letdown...which is unfortunate, because I did enjoy the Diablo series, and had high hopes for this game.

I suggest you read this thread very carefully.

The Demo did not in any way shape or form, provide the gaming experience of anything close to the private Beta.

Alas, basing a decision on this Demo is a sad thing. The HG:L guys shot themselves in the foot by releasing a poor demo.

pcmodem

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2001
Argh...

Haven't done any serious gaming since Diablo II...

But even my 2 year old Opteron 170 w/2 gigs of RAM should be able to run Hellgate...

If I buy a spiffy new nVidia 8800GT! :D

Cheers,
PCM

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I popped by the local Futureshop at lunch on my way to picking up some food and the guy was putting Hellgate out onto the shelves. Got it for $50 as I hoped I would.

I probably will not get a chance to actually install it until Friday, not that it makes a difference either way.

Was in-game chat working for anyone yesterday? I could not see the window anywhere and it appears it was not working. :confused:

Cheers,
KT

Wow Best Buy used to have Crap service and Circuit City was good ...
... not it is reversed. Curseit City didn't have it in stock and didn't care
... so i took their ad to Best Buy. The girl not only dug in the back for a copy, she gave me the price match and the preorder 'goodies' ... $39.99.

Now i am just not sure if i want to be a Templar at all. :p

hmm hunter or cabalist?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Cheers,
KT

Wow Best Buy used to have Crap service and Circuit City was good ...
... not it is reversed. Curseit City didn't have it in stock and didn't care
... so i took their ad to Best Buy. The girl not only dug in the back for a copy, she gave me the price match and the preorder 'goodies' ... $39.99.

Now i am just not sure if i want to be a Templar at all. :p

hmm hunter or cabalist?

Nice!

I played an Evoker the first time around in Beta, and it was fun, but I think it was a liitle too soon. My knowledge of the game was nil, so it worked out better for me to try one of the easier classes (in my case the Marksman).

I will be more inclined to try a cabalist in the future now that I know how things work a litle better.

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Thanks ... i think i might start over ... i would prefer the Blademaster's 2 blades to my current shield and one blade ...
... or maybe i will stick with it ... i am just not so sure i want to start over a THIRD time after getting to level 20 ...
- currently at level 10 :p

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Stop teasing the poor Englishman who doesnt get the game until Friday night at the earliest!!!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs
Stop teasing the poor Englishman who doesnt get the game until Friday night at the earliest!!!

That is what you guys do us ... like with 2Worlds
[--and it still didn't save me from hours of boredom. :p]

... and the Witcher ... wait! --you can have that buggy mess, for now

i am playing an Engineer ... finally got what i want ... LOADS of firepower and drones to help with everything ... the Engineer seems to level faster than the Guardian ... oh yeah ... my Engineer is Maximusrex

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Engineer was going to be my next class to try. I grouped with one in beta and it looked awesome!

It's a shame we only get 3 character slots or I would be trying all of the characters. :(

If anyone wants to group up my current character is Keithtalent2 (I know, my creativity knows no bounds).

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Servers are currently offline? This is a joke right?

KT