Yay for creationists

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: Cerpin Taxt

And let me clarify more. Evolution is not falsifiable either, because scientists have faith that it is how we came to be.
Patently ridiculous, and illustrative of dangerous ignorance on the subjects which you are nonetheless willing to pontificate.

Once one theory is disproven someone will come up with another. I agree, ID or creationism should not be taught in the same chapter as evolution simply because it is not (some forms of ID are though), it should have it's own chapter with the evidence and theories that help solidify that belief.
As soon as Creationism comes up with some evidence and theories, we can put them in science class. You're trying to put the cart before the horse, however, becuase you are a total ignoramus about science, and instead motivated by your religious dogma.

Creationism is a belief
Intelligent design is a belief
Evolution is a belief
Evolution is a theory, and a fact.

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory
I do not know what "single cell" is. I reckon you don't either.

The Great Flood (Noah's Ark) provides the basis for many theories on why things are how they are.
A worldwide flood never happened in the history of this earth.

Cannot be both.

You continue to prove why allowing creationism into classrooms is a terrible idea.

In scientific usage, a theory does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech. A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by rigorous observations in the natural world, or by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. In principle, scientific theories are always tentative, and subject to corrections, inclusion in a yet wider theory, or succession. Commonly, many more specific hypotheses may be logically bound together by just one or two theories. As a rule for use of the term, theories tend to deal with much broader sets of universals than do hypotheses, which ordinarily deal with much more specific sets of phenomena or specific applications of a theory.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Evolution is a theory, and a fact.
Cannot be both.

Gravity = theory & fact

You = Fail

Keep it up though.

In this corner, 99.9999 of scientists presenting the theory of evolution.

In the opposite corner, a collection of religious crackpots postulating from whole cloth that man poofed into existence as is sometime in the last 10,000 years.

These "competing" theories are of equal merit only if you are unfamiliar with the definition of equal and merit.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
If you want creationism taught in schools it only follows that you need to teach reincarnation, shamansim, and greek mythology in science class too. Can't be biased, according to your wisdom. I mean, what's to say that the bibilical story is the only one that should be taught in schools about how the universe began? Wouldn't it be just as bad as NOT teaching creationism to just teach ONE singular concept of it?

I really don't see how a lesson on the fossil record needs a caveat. "All evidence points to this but SOME people believe that God created the world in seven days, so ahem, students, keep this in mind when you're out in the desert looking for bones becaus eumm uhhh the christians on the school committee forced me to say this?"

If we follow the logic we should teach students about Zen Buddism in the science classroom too. If not, you're being close minded. Right?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Also, since when are elementary school kids supposed to have "healthy debate" about science? They're there to learn, not try to assume they know what they're talking about.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BeauJangles

Except that evolution is a theory. The crux of Darwinian evolutionary theory is that populations evolve or change over the course of generations through a process called natural selection.

Why don't you do us all a favor and read The Origin of Species.

The problem with the "Theory of Evolution" is it cannot be proven false until scientists stop creating theories to back up/prove the "Theory of Evolution".

EDIT: and we weren't just talking about Darwin's theory, we were discussing the overall of how we came to be and how it can be proven.

This is utterly false, evolution is falsifiable in many ways. All you need to do is show evidence of the famous rabbit in the precambrian or something similar. Show that there is no way for organisms to transmit data between generations, that would blow evolution out of the water too. The accuracy of the theory of evolution is in no way dependant on other theories, it is fully open to being disproven at any time. I welcome you to try.

The funny thing is that what you are posting is as strong a case for a renewed emphasis on teaching evolution as any I've seen.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
ID/Creationists seem to be big on "Proof". Until they are asked to prove "God".

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
I tried my best to keep up. I'm at work and I have other things to do. I'm a creationist and I believe God created everything. I do not have strong feelings that both should be taught in science class and I really don't care that much about it. It's been awhile since I've engaged in a debate like this and I'm very rusty.

9 vs. 1... I think I held up okay.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I tried my best to keep up. I'm at work and I have other things to do. I'm a creationist and I believe God created everything. I do not have strong feelings that both should be taught in science class and I really don't care that much about it. It's been awhile since I've engaged in a debate like this and I'm very rusty.

If "I think I held up okay" means you didn't have your mind changed, then you did ok...I guess, congrats. :roll:

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

Nope. Believing in God is great, in fact I think a little faith can't hurt anybody, but willfully twisting and deny the facts the way you just did is completely shameful.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Relax, this is what the Democratic Congress is for. Do you think if she wanted to implement this that Congress would let her?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski

If "I think I held up okay" means you didn't have your mind changed, then you did ok...I guess, congrats. :roll:

Thinking that you were going to change my mind in this debate makes you more of an idiot than you think I am.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Donny Baker
Relax, this is what the Democratic Congress is for. Do you think if she wanted to implement this that Congress would let her?

She won't try to implement this. This was the main reason I got into this thread.

Originally posted by: loki8481
#1: repost
#2: what did Palin do as governor to get creationism taught in schools?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

Thinking that you were going to change my mind in this debate makes you more of an idiot than you think I am.

It's good you have a user name that sums up yourself so succinctly.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
To be fair, what Palin thinks and what she will push for are two different things. Her not being opposed to local schools teaching fairy tales is pretty objectionable to me, especially as she's a "science teacher's daughter", but the facts show she didn't do anything as mayor or governor to push that agenda in schools, so this is more of a wedge issue designed to inflame the left.

Combined with her views on global warming it illustrates her as a scientifically ignorant, and even hostile, typical conservative, but I wouldn't worry about these views making it into public schools because of her. Still, it would be really nice to have people in the executive office who respected science and supported increased funding to valuable research and studies.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Belief in god != turning a blind eye to science

Belief in god doesn't mean you can't believe in evolution or the big bang. I really don't know why so many religious people take such offense to these things. After all you could just say, "Ah, so that's how God did it" instead of, "That's BS God did it."

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I'm a creationist and I believe God created everything.
That doesn't mean you have to believe that evolution is false. Evolution can be viewed as how God created everything -- millions of Christians and other theistic evolutionists maintain this belief just fine.

The problem is that you're uncritically swallowing the total lies spoonfed to you by the religious conservatives and regurgitating them on the forum. Think for yourself, for crissakes.

What else do you think they're lying to you about?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
To be fair, what Palin thinks and what she will push for are two different things. Her not being opposed to local schools teaching fairy tales is pretty objectionable to me, especially as she's a "science teacher's daughter", but the facts show she didn't do anything as mayor or governor to push that agenda in schools, so this is more of a wedge issue designed to inflame the left.

Combined with her views on global warming it illustrates her as a scientifically ignorant, and even hostile, typical conservative, but I wouldn't worry about these views making it into public schools because of her. Still, it would be really nice to have people in the executive office who respected science and supported increased funding to valuable research and studies.

:thumbsup: I only got involved in this thread because of the creationism stupidity being tossed around.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Pacemaker

Belief in god doesn't mean you can't believe in evolution or the big bang. I really don't know why so many religious people take such offense to these things. After all you could just say, "Ah, so that's how God did it" instead of, "That's BS God did it."

Dogmatism. Paints millions into corners that they defend to their last breath. Usually over things of no consequence and even their own minds can plainly see are wrong, but they stick to it anyway.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Nah, it just proves that some don't want to know Truth.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

I believe that's 6 now.

That doesn't mean you have to believe that evolution is false. Evolution can be viewed as how God created everything -- millions of Christians and other theistic evolutionists maintain this belief just fine.

The problem is that you're uncritically swallowing the total lies spoonfed to you by the religious conservatives and regurgitating them on the forum. Think for yourself, for crissakes.

I could do that.... but I am not going to. When the Bible said that God created man in his own image, created the birds, and trees, etc - that is what I believe. I do not believe the "lies spoonfed to [me]", I believe the Bible.

I do believe that there is micro-evolution within a species, but I do not believe any other theory.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Most people I have met who are both political and a creationist rarely think like that...unfortunately. Many of them believe that somehow thinking that way is a sign of lack of faith or something.

I really don't mind the idea of religion or creationism. I just wish the people who believed in it so much were more flexible.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I believe that's 6 now.

I could do that.... but I am not going to. When the Bible said that God created man in his own image, created the birds, and trees, etc - that is what I believe. I do not believe the "lies spoonfed to [me]", I believe the Bible.

I do believe that there is micro-evolution within a species, but I do not believe any other theory.

If you are willing to accept the fact that you are deliberately choosing not to believe science due to a book, that's your choice. Many of the arguments you are attempting to use against evolution though are simply false. If you want to debate this issue, you should at least use information that is factual.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001

I believe that's 6 now.

It doesn't say HOW he created man in his own image. He could have chosen to use evolution and a lot of time.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Haven't we had this debate enough?

1.) Creationism/ID are religion, not science.
2.) Only science should be taught in science class.
3.) Therefore, creationism/ID should not be taught in science class.

"teaching the controversy" and other avenues to encourage debate on this subject are dishonest attempts to shoehorn creationism into schools. They are alternative theories without merit, and until they are able to scientifically show their merit, will not be taught in science class. If you honestly believe that creationism/ID should be in schools to teach the debate, then you honestly can't be against teaching the Flying Spaghetti Monster there either, as it is an equally well supported alternate theory.

Did Palin say anything about science class? Why not have creationism in some kind of Philosophy/religion class that students can choose to take but not mandatory. And keep evolution and other scientifically backed theory in the science class until anything scientific proof those theories aren't correct.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

I believe that's 6 now.

It doesn't say HOW he created man in his own image. He could have chosen to use evolution and a lot of time.

It sure does.... but I gotta go. Read the first couple chapters of Genesis.