Yay for creationists

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: yuppiejr
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
Ideologies don't belong in science class.

Science is not a secular agenda.

To believe otherwise paints you as a fool IMHO.

Does that also mean ethics has no place in science? Are the Nazi experiments on Jewish prisoners during WWII legitimate based on a purely scientific slant - they were available bodies and much was learned about human anatomy as a result, right?

If you are a pure secularist, I suppose any opposing viewpoint paints one a "fool" - however a number of rather famous names in science like Issac Newton, Benjamin Franklin, Leonardo DiVinci were all men of science AND religion. That's not to say they promoted a religious agenda in science, that would be foolish. These men were able to apply science to better discover and understand the natural and unnatural world without limiting themselves into an agenda driven way of thinking.

The fools here are the ones that assume science and religion are mutually exclusive - just like science and ethics.

The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer.

? Albert Einstein

Sounds like history class, not science. Science classes are about teaching students about how molecular systems work and the physical rules of our physical universe.

So, when scientists created a synthetic genome of a virus and implanted it into a cell, the virus became "biologically active," that isnt science either? Ot is it science because MAN did it?

What? Sciences classes at the high-school level are about teaching the fundamental structure of our world, not about debating whether creating a Frankenstein is morally reprehensible.

What? Part of science class is the evolution and creation of organisims, no? So is the topic of evolution and/or creation of homo sapiens off topic?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

science class. The 'debate' belongs in philosophy.

Right - fortunately real men of science understand the importance of debate. Or is your world still flat?

ID isn't science. It does not present a hypothesis that is scientifically falsifiable. Hence, it doesn't belong in a science classroom.

So far, neither is the big bang, or that we evolved from a single celled organism, until one day we see the person who is responsible for ID....

See what I did there?

Demonstrated why America needs better science education.

Or better scientists.

The big bang or single cell theory has not been proven or disproven, and neither has ID. The reason why people think it does not belong in a science class is because they believe (read: have faith) that science will one day prove beyond a doubt that we evolved because of the big bang or from a single cell, and at the same time reject and/or lack the belief (read: faith) that ID (or creationism) can or will one day be proven.

Current scientific theories must be met with faith that we somehow evolved and that no ID was involved, which means even if the big bang, single cell, etc are all disproven or found to be unprovable, they will move onto another theory.

With your better scientists comment you presume eventually one or the other or both WILL be proven and moved from theory to fact. It may not happen.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Right - fortunately real men of science understand the importance of debate. Or is your world still flat?

ID isn't science. It does not present a hypothesis that is scientifically falsifiable. Hence, it doesn't belong in a science classroom.

So far, neither is the big bang, or that we evolved from a single celled organism, until one day we see the person who is responsible for ID....

See what I did there?

As someone else said, this only shows we need better science education. The big bang most certainly does provide a hypothesis that is falsifiable. Many of them in fact. Evolution provides a whole load of predictions that are falsifiable (of course many of these have later been proven). So yes, both belong in a science classroom.

Until you can name a hypothesis from ID that we can test, it doesn't get anywhere near our kids.

Depending on which idea of ID you want to go with there are different theories involved.

ID is falsifiable, simply by proving that it came about another way or finding the intelligent being that did the creating.

Once again, your posts further prove the point that America needs better scientific education.

While we're introducing ID, we should also talk about the other creation stories out there:
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.html

After all, you can't prove to me that a giant turtle DIDN'T shit out the first human. :roll:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DukeN
http://blog.wired.com/wiredsci...8/mccains-vp-want.html

You guessed it - creationism!

Of course kids should be exposed to everything from the scientific method, to baseless scientific interpretations of religious texts to satan worship, right? That way they can gauge for themselves what they want to believe in.

Yay for right wing america - this administration wouldn't be Dubya v 3.0, it would be more like Dubya X 3.

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of education. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

So you are opposed to presenting various ideologies in school rather than focusing on just the one you happen to support? How is forcing a secular driven agenda any different than forcing a specific religious angle... I thought progressives were all about free expression and thought, not this "railroad our own agenda" shit that some people spend so much time complaining about (this thread, for example).
LOL and how you'll cry if anything that's in the Koran is taught in school.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat

Absolutely. Teach the kids to think for god's sake, to reason for themselves. Science class as it is now is mostly "Follow these rules kids, smart guys figured them out". Doesn't make for a well-educated society, as these forums illustrate.

That's not true at all.

Science is not about that. Science is about teaching what we have learned which eventually leads into teaching where the stuff comes from. Later down the line, you learn how to research and prove scientific facts which also allows the student to try and disprove them. It screams free thinking and change. Scientists want nothing more than their students to rise above the rest and prove something which has not been proven.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

The big bang or single cell theory has not been proven or disproven, and neither has ID. The reason why people think it does not belong in a science class is because they believe (read: have faith) that science will one day prove beyond a doubt that we evolved because of the big bang or from a single cell, and at the same time reject and/or lack the belief (read: faith) that ID (or creationism) can or will one day be proven.

Current scientific theories must be met with faith that we somehow evolved and that no ID was involved, which means even if the big bang, single cell, etc are all disproven or found to be unprovable, they will move onto another theory.

Negative. I trust that an Airplane can Fly. Whether I understand the Principles behind Aerodynamics or not, doesn't matter. People Trust Science because it has Proven over and over again to work.

ID/Creationism is Hocus Pocus and doesn't belong in a Science Class.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

And let me clarify more. Evolution is not falsifiable either, because scientists have faith that it is how we came to be. Once one theory is disproven someone will come up with another. I agree, ID or creationism should not be taught in the same chapter as evolution simply because it is not (some forms of ID are though), it should have it's own chapter with the evidence and theories that help solidify that belief.

Creationism is a belief
Intelligent design is a belief
Evolution is a belief

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory
The Great Flood (Noah's Ark) provides the basis for many theories on why things are how they are.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

And let me clarify more. Evolution is not falsifiable either, because scientists have faith that it is how we came to be. Once one theory is disproven someone will come up with another. I agree, ID or creationism should not be taught in the same chapter as evolution simply because it is not (some forms of ID are though), it should have it's own chapter with the evidence and theories that help solidify that belief.

Creationism is a belief
Evolution is a belief

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory
The Great Flood (Noah's Ark) provides the basis for many theories on why things are how they are.

Negative. Evolution is Falsifiable and is constantly being Tested.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Depending on which idea of ID you want to go with there are different theories involved.
There is not a single theory involved, let alone multiple. I suggest you educate yourself about the meaning of "theory" in a scientific context.

ID is falsifiable, simply by proving that it came about another way or finding the intelligent being that did the creating.
Really? And how could you demonstrate that the "other way" was not the way the alleged designer designed it?

You're obviously out of your depth. I suggest some further reading on your part.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

Negative. I trust that an Airplane can Fly. Whether I understand the Principles behind Aerodynamics or not, doesn't matter. People Trust Science because it has Proven over and over again to work.

The theories behind aerodynamics has been proven, so that is not a very good argument.

Evolution has not been proven either, some small steps in the evolution process have been proven, but then at the same time so as creationists and ID's beliefs with some of those same proven theories.

Proven theories work... the scientific process works... so far the scientific process has not proven many evolution theories all that well.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

Creationism is a belief
Evolution is a belief

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory

Except that evolution is a theory. The crux of Darwinian evolutionary theory is that populations evolve or change over the course of generations through a process called natural selection.

Why don't you do us all a favor and read The Origin of Species.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If American parents want to waste their kids educational time with Cre(a)ti(o)nism, let them. There are plenty of foreigners studying biology and real science to pick up the slack and take those high paying biotech jobs. There is always Walmart and McDonalds for stupid Americans.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

Creationism is a belief
Evolution is a belief

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory

Negative. Evolution is Falsifiable and is constantly being Tested.

Negative. Evolution is not falsifiable, evolution theories are, however. Evolution will be falsifiable as soon as people stop creating theories to test therefore the onus is on us.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Absolutely. Teach the kids to think for god's sake, to reason for themselves. Science class as it is now is mostly "Follow these rules kids, smart guys figured them out". Doesn't make for a well-educated society, as these forums illustrate.

That's not true at all.

Science is not about that. Science is about teaching what we have learned which eventually leads into teaching where the stuff comes from. Later down the line, you learn how to research and prove scientific facts which also allows the student to try and disprove them. It screams free thinking and change. Scientists want nothing more than their students to rise above the rest and prove something which has not been proven.

I agree that's what it SHOULD be....but a lot of stuff in the schools is just memorizing rules. Especially in biology. It gets better in physics and chemistry. It also depends on the teacher I suppose.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007

Except that evolution is a theory. The crux of Darwinian evolutionary theory is that populations evolve or change over the course of generations through a process called natural selection.

The problem with the "Theory of Evolution" is it cannot be proven false until scientists stop creating theories to back up/prove the "Theory of Evolution".

EDIT: and we weren't just talking about Darwin's theory, we were discussing the overall of how we came to be and how it can be proven.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

And let me clarify more. Evolution is not falsifiable either, because scientists have faith that it is how we came to be.
Patently ridiculous, and illustrative of dangerous ignorance on the subjects which you are nonetheless willing to pontificate.

Once one theory is disproven someone will come up with another. I agree, ID or creationism should not be taught in the same chapter as evolution simply because it is not (some forms of ID are though), it should have it's own chapter with the evidence and theories that help solidify that belief.
As soon as Creationism comes up with some evidence and theories, we can put them in science class. You're trying to put the cart before the horse, however, becuase you are a total ignoramus about science, and instead motivated by your religious dogma.

Creationism is a belief
Evolution is a belief
Evolution is a theory, and a fact.

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory
I do not know what "single cell" is. I reckon you don't either.

A worldwide flood never happened in the history of this earth.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

Negative. Evolution is not falsifiable, evolution theories are, however. Evolution will be falsifiable as soon as people stop creating theories to test therefore the onus is on us.

Please, stop. You're hurting America.

Read The Origin of Species.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

See what I did there?

Or better scientists.

The theories behind aerodynamics has been proven, so that is not a very good argument.

Evolution has not been proven either, some small steps in the evolution process have been proven, but then at the same time so as creationists and ID's beliefs with some of those same proven theories.

Proven theories work... the scientific process works... so far the scientific process has not proven many evolution theories all that well.

You keep digging a hole. Proof is not the point, it is Disproof. Gravity is not Proven, yet Science uses what it knows about Gravity to solve issues all the time. Same with Evolution, what is known about it has lead to ability to make Predictions and to address Real Issues. Creationism/ID can not offer anything near the same utility.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

The problem with the "Theory of Evolution" is it cannot be proven false until scientists stop creating theories to back up/prove the "Theory of Evolution".

You've really don't even know what evolution is, do you? It's okay to admit it, but please, go pick up a copy of the Origin of Species and give it a good reading. It outlines the THEORY of evolution very nicely.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Yes it can. Show a mammalian fossil pre-existing Cambrian fauna.

Good luck with that.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

That's not true at all.

I agree that's what it SHOULD be....but a lot of stuff in the schools is just memorizing rules. Especially in biology. It gets better in physics and chemistry. It also depends on the teacher I suppose.

Yes, you are correct when it comes to the more complex (modern) proofs. However, that is just where Science starts and it needs to be that way. Once that material has been mastered then the student can go on to learn about harder and more relevant proofs. These sorts of lessons usually only occur in more advanced classes in high school or in college. To flip that around would be almost like trying to teach calculus before algebra.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Cerpin Taxt

And let me clarify more. Evolution is not falsifiable either, because scientists have faith that it is how we came to be.
Patently ridiculous, and illustrative of dangerous ignorance on the subjects which you are nonetheless willing to pontificate.

Once one theory is disproven someone will come up with another. I agree, ID or creationism should not be taught in the same chapter as evolution simply because it is not (some forms of ID are though), it should have it's own chapter with the evidence and theories that help solidify that belief.
As soon as Creationism comes up with some evidence and theories, we can put them in science class. You're trying to put the cart before the horse, however, becuase you are a total ignoramus about science, and instead motivated by your religious dogma.

Creationism is a belief
Evolution is a belief
Evolution is a theory, and a fact.

Big bang is a theory
Single cell is a theory
I do not know what "single cell" is. I reckon you don't either.

A worldwide flood never happened in the history of this earth.

Cannot be both.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Of course kids should be exposed to everything from the scientific method, to baseless scientific interpretations of religious texts to satan worship, right? That way they can gauge for themselves what they want to believe in.

Yay for right wing america - this administration wouldn't be Dubya v 3.0, it would be more like Dubya X 3.

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of education. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

So you are opposed to presenting various ideologies in school rather than focusing on just the one you happen to support? How is forcing a secular driven agenda any different than forcing a specific religious angle... I thought progressives were all about free expression and thought, not this "railroad our own agenda" shit that some people spend so much time complaining about (this thread, for example).

I agree. There is a time and a place for everything and creationism does belong in a science classroom.

See what I did there?

So...are you trying to argue that since there is some questionable subject material in the science classes we should just add more?

Did you actually take any science classes?
Did you maybe discuss something called "The Scientific Method"?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Are you trying to set a record for the most fail in the most threads?

Evolution is a belief [not a theory]

>99% of biological scientists would disagree with you. That's not a 'consensus'; it's 'universal agreement'.