YAST, Multiple shots fired in Chattanooga

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Because that has stopped random violent crime and murders everywhere else similar measures have been implemented right?

Don't think so.

So it doesn't stop murders or violent crimes or even really reduce them in countries that have implemented such changes (see Australia and England). However, citizens without guns are easy prey for a government with them. Many current countries show this fact including recent news making ones like Syria.

Never mind that it also doesn't stop "workplace violence" aka, an actual act of terrorism by a terrorist supporter or sympathizer.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
Condolences for the victims.

To the above advocating for removing all guns from US society.... That may be the only 'solution' as 2 big recent cases: Kate Stenle in SF and Charleston shooting both were done by shooters who acquired their guns after the government f'ed up. (1. Stupid fed agent had his gun stolen 2. Stupid FBI clerk allowed a felon to purchase a weapon) So adding more restrictions to gun ownership would've done nothing for those 2 cases....

Feb 16, 2005
It was very briefly called "Domestic Terrorism" on CNN's page

U.S. Attorney Bill Killian earlier told reporters that authorities were treating the shooting as an "act of domestic terrorism."

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I dont know if this is fake or not but yeah saw this on my fb feed:

4Um6msn.png

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
That's sad. I used to work about a half mile or so away from the recruit center. I rowed by there mornings... I often used the boat ramp behind that center to put my other boat (ski boat) in the river...

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Because that has stopped random violent crime and murders everywhere else similar measures have been implemented right?

Don't think so.

So it doesn't stop murders or violent crimes or even really reduce them in countries that have implemented such changes (see Australia and England). However, citizens without guns are easy prey for a government with them. Many current countries show this fact including recent news making ones like Syria.

My contention wasn't that it would solve anything or even be a good idea.

My contention was the country could effectively get rid of guns over a period of time without a civil war, as the post I was responded to contended.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Condolences for the victims.

To the above advocating for removing all guns from US society.... That may be the only 'solution' as 2 big recent cases: Kate Stenle in SF and Charleston shooting both were done by shooters who acquired their guns after the government f'ed up. (1. Stupid fed agent had his gun stolen 2. Stupid FBI clerk allowed a felon to purchase a weapon) So adding more restrictions to gun ownership would've done nothing for those 2 cases....
To be clear

S.C. does not require registering a pistol sold privately, meaning Roof could have gotten one anywhere. And Roof only had the drug charge pending, not convicted. Some where I read that it wasn't a felony charge, just a misdemeanor.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Truly, those who say it cannot be done simply think of the immediate "here and now". They don't look to what effect a long standing policy such as yours would have 30,50,100 years down the road.

It can be done, but should it be?

Should it be is a complex question. given that the 2nd states folks have a right to bear arms the obvious answer would be no.

For me to a degree it comes down to intent, was the 2nd put in place to ensure that the citizens could stand against its own government? If we are to believe Mason then it was. "A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State”

In that context id say the 2nd has failed, because like it or not the armed population of the united states would be in no position to stand against the US military if it were to come to that. Because the reality is it would never be every gun owner vs. the government. The right to bear arms is nothing more than a security blanket for paranoid types in that respect.

Then we have the right to defend our lives and property, that was not cited as a reason for the 2nd, although it has validity.

People like to hunt for food - not the intent of the 2nd but valid.

By the very advances in technology over the last 200 years the 2nd seems somewhat irrelevant in the context in which it was created. Which leads me to conclude the right to bear arms needs to be weighed against the other societal benefits/costs.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
More Muslim workplace violence...

Rather than being sarcastic, could just make an amendment that Muslims are illegal and not protected under the constitution.

Replace duck hunt with muslim hunt.. replace genocide and holocaust with islamocaust. :rolleyes:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
This thing is getting messy. Multiple locations and many dead. Was it only one shooter?

Confirmed to be a muslim...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Wow. What are the odds that yet another Muslim is victimized by our not being a disarmed society?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, some guy does something crazy, shoots someone and ends up shot himself, and "we, as a nation need to look at this glaring, gaping wound that reoccurs all too frequently."

In a country of 300 million, things are going to happen, especially when there are a billion weapons available to people. Crime levels have been going down for a long time. Shootings have been going down. In fact, I'm guessing if you look at vicims who are themselves not involved in criminal activity, the crime level is extremely low. Those facts don't fit the "we have to do something about guns!" narrative, so the media keeps pretending shootings are "out of control".......

We definitely have a problem in this country and there's nothing wrong with talking about it. I happen to think it isn't a problem of firearm availability, but one of mental health problems, overblown egos and everybody being angry. But that's just me.

Feb 16, 2005
We definitely have a problem in this country and there's nothing wrong with talking about it. I happen to think it isn't a problem of firearm availability, but one of mental health problems, overblown egos and everybody being angry. But that's just me.

Thank you!

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Don't forget media glorification and fame. Yes the problem is cultural in nature. It will probably get worse before it gets better, if ever.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
$5 the motivation for the shooting was because he saw a confederate flag.

White shooter = white people are racist.
Non-white shooter = he did it because white people are racist.

This post is sarcasm, for clarification.