YARDT (Yet Another Ron DeSantis Threat) - DeSantis to Take Control of Disney’s Orlando District Under New Bill

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Please, that would be seriously disrespecting some major values and institutions we have, not gonna happen.
who's going to stop him? a republican house? SCOTUS? maybe once a court case reaches them after 4 years of delaying and deflecting. as partisan as this court is, i'm inclined to think even they would consider it an egregious violation of the 1A. but until a case makes its way to them, no one will stop him. and so far, no one *IS* stopping him. so it's license to continue.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
DeSantis says he will control Disney content.

Prediction: First thing they will do is get rid of the black mermaid. Their precious lily-white kids are still scarred from that.

DeSantis Promises Florida Will Control Disney Content (msn.com)

Hmmm, admitted government control of a corporation.
If the courts don't immediately shit can this, New York should do the same to Fox and The NY Post.

Seriously, he is straight up saving he is going to use the government to control FUTURE speech. What the actual fuck.

At this point he has to be hoping for the courts to throw the whole thing out, which is why he keeps ramping it up.

• Love
Reactions: HomerJS

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
+++
If the courts don't immediately shit can this, New York should do the same to Fox and The NY Post.

Seriously, he is straight up saving he is going to use the government to control FUTURE speech. What the actual fuck.

At this point he has to be hoping for the courts to throw the whole thing out, which is why he keeps ramping it up.

Authoritarians at heart do not hope for their power grabs to be overthrown, they are pretty damn serious about the whole getting all the power stuff.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Apparently Disney says they won't fight this, which seems crazy to me. Further, they actually have the power to fight back against this fascism but they are choosing not to, making it even harder for those that don't have their resources.

I'm wondering if they just plan on restarting their bribes and hope that will keep the new facist board in line.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Apparently Disney says they won't fight this, which seems crazy to me. Further, they actually have the power to fight back against this fascism but they are choosing not to, making it even harder for those that don't have their resources.

I'm wondering if they just plan on restarting their bribes and hope that will keep the new facist board in line.

Unpossible. I was told DeSantis would lose in court.

• Haha
Reactions: gothuevos

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Unpossible. I was told DeSantis would lose in court.
People don’t always take things to court even if they would win. Disney may have decided the end result doesn’t change enough for them to make it worth the fight.

If they did though they would win, yes.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
People don’t always take things to court even if they would win. Disney may have decided the end result doesn’t change enough for them to make it worth the fight.

If they did though they would win, yes.

Lot of "ifs" in there ... end result is still the same. DeSantis gets what he wants (in this case, better results than he originally intended) and moves on to the next thing with nothing stopping him.

Reactions: Thump553 and Zorba

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Lot of "ifs" in there ... end result is still the same. DeSantis gets what he wants (in this case, better results than he originally intended) and moves on to the next thing with nothing stopping him.
Okay I'm just not sure what that has to do with the courts then.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I thought using political power to persecute those who exercise first amendment rights was something conservatives were against?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Right. So in this case he keeps on steamrolling. As in, nothing stopped him. Like I said.
Maybe there's some sort of communication here as I'm still confused as to why you brought up the courts when of course they wouldn't stop him unless asked to and I think we all understood him losing in court is predicated on Disney choosing to take him to court. How else would they do anything and wouldn't it be horrible if they somehow could? Imagine the chaos.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Maybe there's some sort of communication here as I'm still confused as to why you brought up the courts when of course they wouldn't stop him unless asked to and I think we all understood him losing in court is predicated on Disney choosing to take him to court. How else would they do anything and wouldn't it be horrible if they somehow could? Imagine the chaos.

I'm not suggesting the courts do anything on their own. That's ridiculous.

My comments here are pointing out that DeSantis got what he wanted (and more) despite constant assurances that somehow something would foil his plans and curtail his fascist actions. That's it. It's not difficult.

I do think Disney should have challenged, and have said so repeatedly. I also think they'd likely win, also said that repeatedly. Where I differ is I don't believe the "what should happen" is "what will actually happen". He hasn't taken an L yet, and the longer that goes on the worse he will get.

Reactions: Zorba and fskimospy

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm not suggesting the courts do anything on their own. That's ridiculous.

My comments here are pointing out that DeSantis got what he wanted (and more) despite constant assurances that somehow something would foil his plans and curtail his fascist actions. That's it. It's not difficult.

I do think Disney should have challenged, and have said so repeatedly. I also think they'd likely win, also said that repeatedly. Where I differ is I don't believe the "what should happen" is "what will actually happen". He hasn't taken an L yet, and the longer that goes on the worse he will get.
Yup, this is how fascism will keep rolling. It's like he just seat around an thinks "What is the most horrible, fascist thing I could do" does it and has gotten away with it every time. Looks like the next thing up is getting rid of all vaccine requirements.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yup, this is how fascism will keep rolling. It's like he just seat around an thinks "What is the most horrible, fascist thing I could do" does it and has gotten away with it every time. Looks like the next thing up is getting rid of all vaccine requirements.

The thing with remaking universities and colleges in FL is probably worse. Conservatives have bitched endlessly for as long as I can remember about "liberal indoctrination" or some such shit at the college level. Well, he's announcing that he's forcing FL state schools to do just the opposite.

Reactions: Zorba

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
With the sheer level of infrastructure sunk into Disney World, I don’t see how the company could truly pack up and leave - but the mere threat of doing so could ignite enough Orlandian outrage to get DeSantis to back off. If Disney didn’t relocate the comparatively lightweight footprint of their Marvel location-filming apparatus out of Georgia despite that state’s aggressive anti-minority fuckery, there’s no way the company would be willing to engage in the much more arduous task of trying to move what is, quite literally, a cluster of several standing cities.

I've been a part time resident of FL for 5 years , soon to be a full time resident next month only because all three of my children fell in love with the beaches and the weather and have all decided to go to college in FL (Florida Atlantic) and drop anchor and live there after school, and my wife was NEVER going to stay in PA while all our children are living in FL. People not living down here (especially on the southern FLA Atlantic Ocean side of the state) don't realize that many voters really didn't elect DeSantis to tell our children what to take as an elective in school or play fascist with Disney. Politics are very strange in FLA. Like California, its basically somewhat ungovernable. You just have to pick your city and ignore things on the state level, ala New Orleans.

Many voters in the state have been brainwashed into feeling that LGBTQ advocates are the worst kind of people. DeSantis backs that viewpoint. They also feel that people shouldn’t be allowed to be immigrants unless they’re reactionary. I think this is DeSantis’ second tenet. I think his third tenet is left-leaning people shouldn’t have the right to assemble in person or online. But that is changing somewhat as more and more transients from the north and overseas invade the atlantic side of the state and are brining their politics with them.You have to look at this question from the point of view of a hardcore MAGA type DeSantis supporter. They don’t know what a fascist is - all they know is what they see and hear from him, and they like that, although some don't. Concepts like fascism and authoritarianism are too complex to compute for them. DeSantis is making “those” people uncomfortable, so his supporter's like that. If Democrats in the state start calling DeSantis a fascist, his supporters just look the other way - they don’t know what it means, but as long as DeSantis is making the people they don't like squirm, they’re for him. The GOP could change their name to The Fascist Group (TFG) and few Republicans would care, because they really don’t know what that means. “But Mr. DeSantis is showing signs of being a fascist.” “Shut-up He’s gonna get rid of the woke!.” This isn't a lasting strategy though, but it is an ongoing problem in the state. He’s been watching Trump, taking notes on what works, and muttering under his breath, “If that moron can do it, why not me?” and the only thing really holding him back is having just slightly more charisma than Ted Cruz.

Reactions: Pens1566

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Found a gem of background on DeSantis.

Legislation
DeSantis signed a 2013 pledge sponsored by Americans for Prosperity vowing to vote against any global warming legislation that would raise taxes.[38] He introduced the Faithful Execution of the Law Act of 2014, which did not become law but would have required the United States Department of Justice to report to Congress whenever any federal agency refrains from enforcing laws for any reason.[39][40][41] In 2015, DeSantis was a founding member of the Freedom Caucus, a group of congressional conservatives and libertarians.[30][42][43]

In August 2017, DeSantis proposed legislation to end funding by November of that year for the Mueller investigation of President Trump.[44] He said that the DOJ order dated May 17, 2017, "didn't identify a crime to be investigated" and was likely to start a fishing expedition.[45] House Republican leaders did not allow DeSantis's amendment to proceed to the floor for a vote.[46]