YAPHK (Yet Another Palestinian Honor Killing), teenage girl raped and pregnant by her brothers, killed by her mother

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: Sultan
Without providing any sort of justification, all of you must understand that "perverts" are not bounded by race, religion, nationality, cast or creed.

There are numerous incidents of parental sexual abuse against their children in many western nations. There are incidents of mothers killing their children in these western nations. Rape is widespread. Sexual molestation is common. Infidelity, fornication and adultery is also common.

"Judge not others, lest ye be judged yourself".

Again, I repeat, perverts are everywhere. Do not judge an entire religion of 1.2 billion people (Muslims) or a country of over 10 million(?) population (Jordan) by one incident.
I only judge the 600 million people (Muslims) who collectively treat the other 600 million people (Muslims) are a second-class citizen. I take that back, citizen implies rights. They are collectively treated as sub-human.

You will find the same thing in China, Parts of India, etc. It has more to do with education/poverty/and very male dominated societies that religion per say.
Does the word "Sharia" mean anything to you?

Sharia has nothing to do with honor killings in general. Sharia isn't even in effect in Jordon, Pakistan, India. Sharia has been applied to crimes such as adultry etc., but honor killings usually don't involve adultry. Thier is nothing in Islam or "Sharia" which is seperate from Islam as defined by the teachings of the prophet Mohammed about killing your daughter because she was raped.

BTW: I don't see any Hindus, Sikhs, etc. practicing Sharia? How do you explain the prevalance of honor killings in certain of those communities.

Sharia has everything to do with women being treated as sub-human. "Honor-killings" (what a term huh?) are only a symptom of the underlying cause.

So Sharia is the underlying cause of "Honor Killings"? I am sure thier are just as many if not more honor killings in non-muslim undeveloped populations as in Muslim ones. I think backwards, uneducated, male dominated societies are the cause. I think you are engaging in some spurious conclusions here.

I don't think Sharia is the underlying cause of honor killings in here, but Islam as a religion is projecting the image of woman as 2nd class to man in all fairness. And since Islam is a strong influence on a culture like Arabs, its pretty obvious thats help shape & spur their treatment toward women in general. Of course education is also an issue, especially in a "backward" societies as you put it.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Sharia dictates such things as a husbands word is worth 2x that of his wives. 3 witnesses required to overturn the word of the husband. Adultery is a stoneable offense (for women). Not the cause? It's cause they are poor and unedcuated? Oh you say MALE DOMINATED....why are they male dominated? Sharia...

Amazing how a post on this brings out the YAIA's (yet another islam apologist)

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Sharia dictates such things as a husbands word is worth 2x that of his wives. 3 witnesses required to overturn the word of the husband. Adultery is a stoneable offense (for women). Not the cause? It's cause they are poor and unedcuated? Oh you say MALE DOMINATED....why are they male dominated? Sharia...

Allright, if this is an exclusively Islamic thing, why is it also common in other regions/cultures/religions without the common bond of Islam?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Allright, if this is an exclusively Islamic thing, why is it also common in other regions/cultures/religions without the common bond of Islam?

I never said this is an exclusively islamic thing. I said that Sharia is the source.

Other interpretations of religions choose to make women sub-human also. Islam just happens to be the world's largest.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Messed up, certainly, but a glimpse of our own past as well. Civilization is something to be cherished.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Messed up, certainly, but a glimpse of our own past as well. Civilization is something to be cherished.

Eh, I have a hard time believing that "our past" ever included a generally accepted religious belief that you should kill your own daughter for harming the families honor.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Eh, I have a hard time believing that "our past" ever included a generally accepted religious belief that you should kill your own daughter for harming the families honor.

Whether it was exactly the same is not the point. We(our predecessors) were all too willing to kill in the name of God or otherwise for reasons that were disgusting by todays standards.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
Without providing any sort of justification, all of you must understand that "perverts" are not bounded by race, religion, nationality, cast or creed.

There are numerous incidents of parental sexual abuse against their children in many western nations. There are incidents of mothers killing their children in these western nations. Rape is widespread. Sexual molestation is common. Infidelity, fornication and adultery is also common.

Again, I repeat, perverts are everywhere. Do not judge an entire religion of 1.2 billion people (Muslims) or a country of over 10 million(?) population (Jordan) by one incident.
I only judge the 600 million people (Muslims) who collectively treat the other 600 million people (Muslims) are a second-class citizen. I take that back, citizen implies rights. They are collectively treated as sub-human.

You will find the same thing in China, Parts of India, etc. It has more to do with education/poverty/and very male dominated societies that religion per say.

Sharia has nothing to do with honor killings in general. Sharia isn't even in effect in Jordon, Pakistan, India. Sharia has been applied to crimes such as adultry etc., but honor killings usually don't involve adultry. Thier is nothing in Islam or "Sharia" which is seperate from Islam as defined by the teachings of the prophet Mohammed about killing your daughter because she was raped.

BTW: I don't see any Hindus, Sikhs, etc. practicing Sharia? How do you explain the prevalance of honor killings in certain of those communities.

Sharia has everything to do with women being treated as sub-human. "Honor-killings" (what a term huh?) are only a symptom of the underlying cause.

Another very ignorant comment. Sharia is basically Islamic law. No country has implemented Sharia. Women rights are far, far greater in the Sharia than what you think or perceive. Try reading the Quran (the main source of Sharia) a bit. You will understand how the Quran came as a relevation (and is a relevation) to a woman's rights.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Another very ignorant comment. Sharia is basically Islamic law. No country has implemented Sharia. Women rights are far, far greater in the Sharia than what you think or perceive. Try reading the Quran (the main source of Sharia) a bit. You will understand how the Quran came as a relevation (and is a relevation) to a woman's rights.

Actually Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Northern Nigeria, and one other country that escapes me now has a Sharia based Justice system. Afghanistan had a really extreme version of it under the Taliban.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

How is that a religious belief? That is more a cultural thing than based in any religious teaching. Where in the Quran or Sharia, does it say you shoudl kill your offspring for supposedly disgracing the familY?

So are honor killings in other populations also due to thier religion? Is thier something in say Hinduism that encourages honor killings?

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002

If mention facts is akin to being a YAIA, then I suppose thats what I am doing. Your posts show how racist you are against a religion which has around 1/5ths of the World's population.

And by the way, Sharia does NOT dictate a husband's word is worth 2x than that of his wives. 3 witnesses are not required to overturn the word of the husband. If the husband accuses his wife (or vice versa) of infidelity (or any other thing) and she swears by the Quran four times she is innocent, then the matter is laid to rest and the Quran explicitly states that God will be the judge on the case.

And adultery is a stoneable offense for either a man or a woman. However, that is a debatable issue amongst Muslim scholars as the Quran states the adulteror or adulteress will be whipped 100 times if found guilty.

Sir, you are quite ignorant and your posts clearly show how racist and biased your mindset is.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: kage69
A whole 31 cases in 2002? I think your bleeding heart has bigger fish to lust after.

You're a real sorry sack of sh!t, you know that? Why is it the number of occurances somehow negates the severity of the incidents, and why does linking to the article qualify the author as someone 'lusting' after crimes like this? Somehow I don't think your ignorant dismissal of this would hold if the victim was, say, your little sister.

You must understand that no one here has stated anything to the contrary.

Again, we know. The difference is the 'honor killing' part. Throw any kind of spin on it you want, infanticide for 'honor' is still evil by any standard and not endorsed by ANY Western culture. In the West, a mother killing her offspring (far, far less common here I'm happy to say) is usually attributed to being mentally disturbed, not some farce of a 'tradition' imposed by a whole culture.

Well said Sir. I earlier pointed out that I was not trying to put forward a justification. However, one should not judge a whole religion or a country based on the actions of a few. The tradition you mention is very true. These traditions do exist amongst many in the Middle East as well as the Indian sub-continent. Yet, they are not representative of any religion or the entire culture. Hopefully, some day a staunch leader will root out these evil acts. Till then I hope the Western world does not jump to conclusions or judge others by actions of these few.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

If mention facts is akin to being a YAIA, then I suppose thats what I am doing. Your posts show how racist you are against a religion which has around 1/5ths of the World's population.

And by the way, Sharia does NOT dictate a husband's word is worth 2x than that of his wives. 3 witnesses are not required to overturn the word of the husband. If the husband accuses his wife (or vice versa) of infidelity (or any other thing) and she swears by the Quran four times she is innocent, then the matter is laid to rest and the Quran explicitly states that God will be the judge on the case.

And adultery is a stoneable offense for either a man or a woman. However, that is a debatable issue amongst Muslim scholars as the Quran states the adulteror or adulteress will be whipped 100 times if found guilty.

Sir, you are quite ignorant and your posts clearly show how racist and biased your mindset is.

Sorry, I was wrong. Your stoning and whipping laws are applied fairly and equally I'm sure. Thanks for clearing things up.

I'm glad the decision between either stoning or whipping is a hotly contested punishment among Muslim scholars. True enlightenment is nigh.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

How is that a religious belief? That is more a cultural thing than based in any religious teaching. Where in the Quran or Sharia, does it say you shoudl kill your offspring for supposedly disgracing the familY?

So are honor killings in other populations also due to thier religion? Is thier something in say Hinduism that encourages honor killings?
I'm sure that extremist Hindu's find religious passages to condone it also. But you digress.. I want to see examples of honor killings in "our past"

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002

Sorry, I was wrong. Your stoning and whipping laws are applied fairly and equally I'm sure. Thanks for clearing things up.

I'm glad the decision between either stoning or whipping is a hotly contested punishment among Muslim scholars. True enlightenment is nigh.

Pray tell me what religion do you follow. Your racism and religious tolerance leaves much to be desired. Do you see the Muslims criticizing Christian revelations such as (just one example):

Leviticus 21
9 " 'If a priest's daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well said Sir. I earlier pointed out that I was not trying to put forward a justification. However, one should not judge a whole religion or a country based on the actions of a few. The tradition you mention is very true. These traditions do exist amongst many in the Middle East as well as the Indian sub-continent. Yet, they are not representative of any religion or the entire culture. Hopefully, some day a staunch leader will root out these evil acts. Till then I hope the Western world does not jump to conclusions or judge others by actions of these few.

At least you are calling it what it is, namely evil. And it would be a lot more reassuring if you didn't just use the "everyone does it" line of argument and took some active measures to fight against this evil rather than just passively hoping for a "someday" when a "staunch leader" will come along to settle the issue. There's no reason why you couldn't be one of those leaders you know.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: glenn1

At least you are calling it what it is, namely evil. And it would be a lot more reassuring if you didn't just use the "everyone does it" line of argument and took some active measures to fight against this evil rather than just passively hoping for a "someday" when a "staunch leader" will come along to settle the issue. There's no reason why you couldn't be one of those leaders you know.

Again, can you please read the statement that I am NOT justifying this act. Nor am I making an argument. I am MERELY pointing out that you or anyone for that matter should NOT judge others based on actions of a few. PLEASE MAKE THE DISTINCTION!

Yes, active measures should be taken. Why dont the people on this board start off with removing the President who is obviously a liar. I will follow up by going to these countries and jailing all these criminals. (This statement is meant to be in good humor, since I obviously cannot do anything about these countries from Illinois).

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I'm sure that extremist Hindu's find religious passages to condone it also. But you digress.. I want to see examples of honor killings in "our past"

Salem Witchhunts
Spanish Inquisition
occassional Murder Suicides of broken families

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Pray tell me what religion do you follow. Your racism and religious tolerance leaves much to be desired. Do you see the Muslims criticizing Christian revelations such as (just one example):

Leviticus 21
9 " 'If a priest's daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

Blah blah that's the typical islam defense quote trotted out. Ever notice it was from the Old Testament? It's full of stuff like that.

Ever notice that we don't burn prostitutes at the stake? (Or behead them like in many Islamic countries).

I'll become tolerant of the worlds backward religions when they become tolerant of the rest of the world. Not just islam...

Of course, what do I know. I'm an unbeliever, an infidel, and my life is worth less (if anything).

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Salem Witchhunts
Spanish Inquisition

Salem Witchhunts
Honor killing?

Spanish Inquisition
Honor killing?

Certainly far from a generally accepted religious belief.

Nice attempt, but a far cry from 31 times in one year. Heck how many "witches" in Salem were burned? 5? 10? In 200 years?

If it makes you feel better to try and morally equate it to our past, far be it from me to piss in your pudding.

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002

Leviticus 21

Blah blah that's the typical islam defense quote trotted out. Ever notice it was from the Old Testament? It's full of stuff like that.

Ever notice that we don't burn prostitutes at the stake? (Or behead them like in many Islamic countries).

I'll become tolerant of the worlds backward religions when they become tolerant of the rest of the world. Not just islam...

Of course, what do I know. I'm an unbeliever, an infidel, and my life is worth less (if anything).

Yes, I did notice that "we" do not burn prostitutes at the stake. This would mean "we" do not follow what our religion - what God has commanded us to do.

Beheading has nothing to do with this post. However, that is not practiced in many Islamic countries. And I fail to see the difference between beheading, hanging or death by lethal injection.

On the contrary, why dont you start being tolerant towards what you call "backward religions"? Maybe then they'll look at you as a role model and follow your example. The opinion of over 1 billion people on issues you state against your opinion... hmm...

Sultan

Banned
Feb 21, 2002

Salem Witchhunts
Spanish Inquisition

Salem Witchhunts
Honor killing?

Spanish Inquisition
Honor killing?

Certainly far from a generally accepted religious belief.

Nice attempt, but a far cry from 31 times in one year. Heck how many "witches" in Salem were burned? 5? 10? In 200 years?

If it makes you feel better to try and morally equate it to our past, far be it from me to piss in your pudding.

alchemize:

Honor killings are NOT part of an accepted religious belief. Please back up your statements with truthful facts. I dont think ANY religion condones "honor killings". Again please answer the correct question: Where in the Quran or Sharia, does it say you should kill your offspring for supposedly disgracing the familY?