Yank exchange students seem to be inseperable from their luminous 'nalgenes' and bottled water...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Dirigible
Originally posted by: kranky
I guess they hadn't heard that popular opinion is now swinging towards the "bottled water is bad" point of view. Huge environmental costs, exploitation of the third-world countries, waste of fossil fuels (at least in the US) as 18-wheelers spew fumes hauling water around the country, while we have the highest quality tap water in the world on average.

One article.

I have a nalgene, but I mostly use water bottles meant for cycling. None of that troublesome removal of the cap. I just suck on the nipple like some kind of perverted, overgrown, hairy baby.

I don't see the big deal with nalgene, but I laugh at the people who bring their camelbacks to class.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: AccruedExpenditure
wtf is a nalgenes

trendy plastic bottles that were originally lab equipment until someone figured out that being basically indestructible and almost exactly the right size to fit a water filter made them very handy for backpacking. College kids decided it was cool to strap them to their backpacks while "hiking" to class and wearing their "Ithaca is Gorges" tshirts. Basically it is an attempt by douchebags to try to look trendy. As someone who has actually backpacked, I try to hold back the urge to suckerpunch them in the face.

They are indestructible, as you said, they make them in reasonable sizes, they are easy to clean, and they don't weigh that much. If you get a decent one it won't leak.

In short, they are excellent water bottles. They are perfect for the compulsive hydrater. I'm sure there are some fancy camelpacks and the like for "someone who has actually backpacked," but I've backpacked with nalgenes before and they worked fine for me.

Sure, it's become something of a trend item, like the iPod, but also like the iPod, they have become popular and trendy because they are actually good products.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
wtf is a nalgenes

trendy plastic bottles that were originally lab equipment until someone figured out that being basically indestructible and almost exactly the right size to fit a water filter made them very handy for backpacking. College kids decided it was cool to strap them to their backpacks while "hiking" to class and wearing their "Ithaca is Gorges" tshirts. Basically it is an attempt by douchebags to try to look trendy. As someone who has actually backpacked, I try to hold back the urge to suckerpunch them in the face.

Best rant in a lonnnnnggggggg time. extra points for not realizing it was a rant until the very end :D

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20
lets see: a 5$ bottle that is virtually indestructible... large capacity... leeches no plastics... adds no taste... and with a widemouth for EASY cleaning...

versus having to buy a 1$ aquafina when youre thirsty or look for a water fountain

nope, no logic to nalgenes at all.. its got to be for the trend factor

Not if you use #7 plastic, which are the clear bottles.

I use my blue, #7 plastic nalgene bottle to mix my vanilla protein (spiru-tien)drink and if the drink stays in the botle for over 2 hours it changes to a blue shade. The longer it stays in, the deeper the shade of blue.

Try it out with colored nalgene bottles.

The milky white #2 is a safer plastic

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: homercles337
I once knew a Kiwi that said you guys (i know youre not a kiwi) call us "yanks" because of a rhyme. Yank, Yank, septic tank. This is *not* true is it?

Never heard of it :confused:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It's a fad thing. My mother-out-law is the same way. She carries a water bottle in her purse :roll:

I've brought the bottled water scam to the attention of my family, and they blew me off for going "against their ways" :) Then the news started with "bottled water is just tap water" stories, and now they're changing their tunes. We have a microfilter on our fridge that makes some damn tasty water...no need to by bottled water at all.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA
wtf is a nalgenes

Best rant in a lonnnnnggggggg time.
:laugh:

:thumbsup:

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
They should drink sports drinks, instead.

"They've got electrolytes!"

You need electrolytes!! The plants need electrolytes!!

ROFL

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: homercles337
I once knew a Kiwi that said you guys (i know youre not a kiwi) call us "yanks" because of a rhyme. Yank, Yank, septic tank. This is *not* true is it?

Not quite, as i understand it.

We call you 'Seppos', as in 'septic tank', which does indeed come from rhyming slang with yank :D

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dug777

It's kinda cute, in an odd fashion ;)

Where are you from? Yank would make me think Australia or England (that and the SBA thing, I think only commonwealth countries and us refer to barristers/the bar, right?).

I drink tap water, but my girlfriend and most of my coworkers drink the stuff you pay a premium for. My company rotated me to our general counsel's office as a summer position, and all the lawyers chip in to keep the water cooler full. I fill a mcdonalds cup at the water fountain :)

I was under the impression this was a fad in most of the western world. Is it not?

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: sjwaste

Where are you from? Yank would make me think Australia or England (that and the SBA thing, I think only commonwealth countries and us refer to barristers/the bar, right?).

I drink tap water, but my girlfriend and most of my coworkers drink the stuff you pay a premium for. My company rotated me to our general counsel's office as a summer position, and all the lawyers chip in to keep the water cooler full. I fill a mcdonalds cup at the water fountain :)

I was under the impression this was a fad in most of the western world. Is it not?

Right on :beer:

Australia.

Given the stringent standards that apply to tap water, i'm very happy to drink that, and if you don't like the taste, it doesn't exactly cost very much to get a water filter jug (and then you can even have it icy cold from the fridge!).

EDIT: it's a fad here too, at least bottled water is, mainly with women, especially at uni.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

Australia.

Given the stringent standards that apply to tap water, i'm very happy to drink that, and if you don't like the taste, it doesn't exactly cost very much to get a water filter jug (and then you can even have it icy cold from the fridge!).

From what I've seen on the news, you don't have too much water to go around down there right now- is that drought still going on? I was watching a news show where they had water police busting people that were watering their lawns :) It was funny watching people try to hide it too heheh.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
My cousin works for the water company over here. He used to be a lineman (or whatever they call it) and now supervises the treatment plant. He basically told me its pretty ridiculous to think the water's bad unless the plant isn't working or something. It might taste like chlorine, but when it does, you can be pretty sure nothing's living in it.

Hell, even if the pitcher doesn't cut it, you can get a reverse osmosis system off ebay for like $100. That'll pay for itself switching from bottled pretty fast.

That said, I like the taste of most tap water I've drank. The only exception is close to the shore, where it sometimes tastes just a little salty.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Fritzo

Australia.

From what I've seen on the news, you don't have too much water to go around down there right now- is that drought still going on? I was watching a news show where they had water police busting people that were watering their lawns :) It was funny watching people try to hide it too heheh.

Over East they were getting pretty desperate.

Here we're not so bad, dam storage levels are at about 30% of capacity ;)

http://www.watercorporation.com.au/d/dams_storage.cfm

We have a big desal plant tho, and another on the way.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: MrPickins
Gotta rehydrate during the day so you can drink more alcohol at night! ;)

Mr Pickin's needs the extra water for his colonic :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA
wtf is a nalgenes

Best rant in a lonnnnnggggggg time. extra points for not realizing it was a rant until the very end :D

Also they don't give you that plastic taste that normal water bottles give off.

Cheers,
Aquaman