YAGT: Should I buy a birthday card for a [new] friend's girlfriend?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard
I personally would never have even thought of getting a card. Instead I'd buy a drink or some other token gift. What you could do is have the people you are with join in and together get a card. Having 2-4 people join in on a $2 card isn't odd or awkward.

Exactly, and this is what they usually do in office settings. It'd be weird if I just gave a female coworker I barely knew a birthday card one day. The community card makes it all neutral.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: KillyKillall
Why would you take advice about women from a gay guy?

if the advice has nothing to do with sex, why wouldn't you?

I think your average gay male with female friends understands females a lot better than a straight male.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
No. Don't buy her a card. Your friend who suggested it is just a suckup or something. Cards are usually empty meaningless gestures.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: KillyKillall
Why would you take advice about women from a gay guy?

if the advice has nothing to do with sex, why wouldn't you?

I think your average gay male with female friends understands females a lot better than a straight male.

Which I think is partly true, and he's honestly given me a lot of good advice about a lot of different things (mostly fashion-related). What he misses is social propriety between a man and a woman, imo; he looks at it from the fact that he's a neutral with women and the fact that women respond to him differently. He can say things, touch them, buy drinks, etc. without any of the baggage. It's very easy for a heterosexual man to innocently project sexual interest when not intended, imo.

nole1fan

Nov 2, 2005
no CARD, but buy a round of drinks anyway. few bottles of wines? That could get expensive depends on what you are buying, and why are you trying to impress her anyway. She is here to see her b/f, and he introduced her to you guys, so just buy couple of rounds, and call it night.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: nole1fan
no CARD, but buy a round of drinks anyway. few bottles of wines? That could get expensive depends on what you are buying, and why are you trying to impress her anyway. She is here to see her b/f, and he introduced her to you guys, so just buy couple of rounds, and call it night.

Not trying to impress her. My friends generally know me as the "wine guy", so if we're going out I often choose and puchase the wine. Depends on the night though.

I'll see how it goes. I agree on the round of drinks at the least.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
No card. Heck, I think paying for a few bottles of wine (even if you are well off) is odd as well. Paying for one bottle is a fine gesture though.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So, we went to a restuarant, a club and then a bar. I covered the tab on the wine at the restaurant (horrible wine selection), but I didn't bring a card.

Good times.