YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 550 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Man that is really nice looking. I'm jelly.

I think I wanna get a dedicated .22LR can in the near future (well, start the process). I have a Liberty Cosmic suppressor that's basically a multi-caliber/use one but it is definitely kinda big/long for a suppressor. I put it on my Ruger 22/45 Lite and it worked good although I can't get the damn thing off (and it was only hand tightened). I used a big ass wrench and it ended up unthreading the end of the frickin pistol, LOL. Ugh. Guess I gotta get the heat gun out next.

Anyway. Dedicated .22LR suppressor coming up next. At least they're a lot cheaper than other cans. Just sucks that it'll be like a year or so until I can use it. It's definitely best to just buy it and forget about it.

That gun is .45 Long Colt. EXPENSIVE to shoot! But I love shooting these cowboy loads.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Gun safety directly from the horse's mouth:

Jeff Cooper on Jeff Cooper's four laws of gun safety
1. Every gun is loaded.
2. Never cover anything with the muzzle you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Finger off the trigger until you've sighted on your target and are ready to fire.
4. Identify your target and background before you shoot.

Seems like common sense, but I was shooting under supervision at a young age and grew up with these rules. I'm amazed how many otherwise rational adults don't understand the responsibility that comes with touching a gun and will do potentially deadly stuff like point the gun at others.

I do have to admit I violate those rules at times. I like single action army style cowboy revolvers and have even learned to twirl them. That means violating those rules repeatedly, but whenever I pick up one I treat it as loaded until I confirm it is not. And if I set it down or holster it I check it again just to make sure.

A lot of firearm safety is mental training and familiarity with your gun, but those four rules will never let your down. I also liked the next video on gun condition of readiness. Point is to know your chosen weapon and exactly how to safely operate it. And if you decide to carry for self-defense you must educate yourself on when it's legal to shoot and, even more important IMHO, to learn how to avoid potentially dangerous situation where you may have to use your weapon.

But I find it hypocritical when some call us gun nuts because we train with our guns so we can use them safely. HOAs hold disaster preparedness classes and TV commercials tell us to have a home evacuation plan in case of disaster, and owning a fire extinguishers are common sense, but if we have a plan for how we would deal with a home invader then we are again crazy gun nuts with a thirst to kill.

Sorry for getting political.

Reactions: gill77

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
People use the word legend pretty loosely these days, but Jeff Cooper really accomplished a great deal. He developed methods that have become standards that have changed very little over all these years.

A range officer once told me that he liked defensive shooting because it was the only martial art at which an old white guy could excel. It was meant to be humorous, but there seems to be some truth there.

My instructor trained with Jeff Cooper. It was a little freaky seeing how some of him was passed down.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
1. Every gun is loaded.
2. Never cover anything with the muzzle you aren't willing to destroy.
3. Finger off the trigger until you've sighted on your target and are ready to fire.
4. Identify your target and background before you shoot.

Seems like common sense, but I was shooting under supervision at a young age and grew up with these rules. I'm amazed how many otherwise rational adults don't understand the responsibility that comes with touching a gun and will do potentially deadly stuff like point the gun at others.

I do have to admit I violate those rules at times. I like single action army style cowboy revolvers and have even learned to twirl them. That means violating those rules repeatedly, but whenever I pick up one I treat it as loaded until I confirm it is not. And if I set it down or holster it I check it again just to make sure.

A lot of firearm safety is mental training and familiarity with your gun, but those four rules will never let your down. I also liked the next video on gun condition of readiness. Point is to know your chosen weapon and exactly how to safely operate it. And if you decide to carry for self-defense you must educate yourself on when it's legal to shoot and, even more important IMHO, to learn how to avoid potentially dangerous situation where you may have to use your weapon.

But I find it hypocritical when some call us gun nuts because we train with our guns so we can use them safely. HOAs hold disaster preparedness classes and TV commercials tell us to have a home evacuation plan in case of disaster, and owning a fire extinguishers are common sense, but if we have a plan for how we would deal with a home invader then we are again crazy gun nuts with a thirst to kill.

Sorry for getting political.

I assume you're speaking of the thread in the Politic and News section. I was reading that last night and am not sure why you bother. Some people live very charmed lives and have never been in a situation where threat of life is a possibility. It's not their fault and honestly good on them. We should all be so lucky. The only downside is they can't see past their own perceptions and see how something they don't deal with might be an issue for someone else. You'll never get them to suddenly see that shit can in fact happen, and if it does having the right tool to defend life is important.

Reactions: Paladin3

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
You really can't argue with having the right tool for the job, but experience using those tools probably is more important.

There is a "handyman" who "helps" me with projects around the house. He has nice tools, but he can accomplish things with a coat hanger that would stump me totally.

Having him show up at your house to fix something with just the tools that were at hand would not be a problem. Having me show up with the best tools available would be a whole different story.

MrBailey

Dec 1, 2005
I assume you're speaking of the thread in the Politic and News section. I was reading that last night and am not sure why you bother. Some people live very charmed lives and have never been in a situation where threat of life is a possibility. It's not their fault and honestly good on them. We should all be so lucky. The only downside is they can't see past their own perceptions and see how something they don't deal with might be an issue for someone else. You'll never get them to suddenly see that shit can in fact happen, and if it does having the right tool to defend life is important.

John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) did a nice sober video on the topic. Basically, what are you willing to do to protect your family? And if you choose not to protect, are you willing to accept the consequences (death, rape, injury, etc. of loved ones). It's not even just about something happening to a loved one, but to you as well. How will your loved ones be affected by the loss of you?

The people that are so against this (the object of this thread) have probably never been in a situation that endangered themselves or their loved ones...or they were just willing to accept the consequences.

I choose to protect my family and myself.

Plus, I enjoy just plain enjoying shooting.

Reactions: clamum and Paladin3

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
If you had money to burn: CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 or the new PSA AK-P?

I don't need anything, just want something new to shoot and have some fun with at the range. :D

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Went shopping with the wife, came home with this. :D

i-fXTNhkJ.jpg

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Can't wait to shoot with it. That charging handle is stiff though. :D Getting the MagPul grip and mag release.

Also highly recommend the safety delete. It will wear your thumb out otherwise. CGW has some awesome stuff for it as well, check them out!

Reactions: Spoooon

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Also highly recommend the safety delete. It will wear your thumb out otherwise. CGW has some awesome stuff for it as well, check them out!
Got some HBI stuff: charging handle, safety delete for the right side, think safety for left. :D

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Replaced the grip, charging handle, safeties, added a frickin' laser (though will probably relocate the weapon light to one of the Glocks). Next up: trigger springs, trigger shoe, mag release.

i-w3gmW5P.jpg

Reactions: WiseUp216

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I got lucky and scored one of these keltec cp33’s today. Now I need to decide whether to get the folding brace for it....

e8hzJLe.jpg

Looks like fun. 33 rounds, scoped and suppressed. I hear there is some price gouging going on with these.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Looks like fun. 33 rounds, scoped and suppressed. I hear there is some price gouging going on with these.

Yeah, some people are selling these on gunbroker for like $600-$700 plus shipping. I got lucky and got under MSRP, $410 out the door.

I am working on getting the parts right now to get an SB tactical brace like this one -

Cg4IGff.jpg

Reactions: Spoooon

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
John Lovell (Warrior Poet Society) did a nice sober video on the topic. Basically, what are you willing to do to protect your family? And if you choose not to protect, are you willing to accept the consequences (death, rape, injury, etc. of loved ones). It's not even just about something happening to a loved one, but to you as well. How will your loved ones be affected by the loss of you?

The people that are so against this (the object of this thread) have probably never been in a situation that endangered themselves or their loved ones...or they were just willing to accept the consequences.

I choose to protect my family and myself.

Plus, I enjoy just plain enjoying shooting.

The counter argument, is that, statistically, you are far more likely to injure your family member than protect them. As long as you accept that consequence, that's fine, just understand you're making an emotional argument and not a rational one. Which is totally fine, again, as long as you admit it.

Reactions: Mloot

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Looks like Aim Surplus got in some TT-33s for C&R (I already have the M48, the Yugo version). I'd definitely pick one up if I didn't already have one. I bought mine originally with the intention of throwing it in my bug out bag but I liked it so much and just didn't want to leave it in there that I got a Taurus PT111 for that role instead, haha.

For that .22LR can I wanna get, I've seen the OSS RAD 22 featured on a couple of the YouTube channels I sub to and it looks pretty nice, for a dang good price too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sold out on Silencer Shop but if it's available I'm gonna start the process.

Edit: Yep, in stock at $444. Dang I thought it was way cheaper than that, like $100 cheaper for some reason. Eh, I'll still get it, it looks like a nice piece.

There's also a can that quick attaches via the A2 bird cage muzzle device which is sweet for ARs.

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
The counter argument, is that, statistically, you are far more likely to injure your family member than protect them. As long as you accept that consequence, that's fine, just understand you're making an emotional argument and not a rational one. Which is totally fine, again, as long as you admit it.
Please don't come in here trying to make political arguments so you can stroke your own ego. This is a thread for gun enthusiast. The average participant in this thread knows more about guns than you ever will. Take your hysteria elsewhere and have a nice day.