YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 544 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
For those of you who don't wonder into P&N:
Over 500 guns found at convicted felon's California home

500-guns-seized2-ho-mo-20180619_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

la-1529380899-4w5f5pw9z8-snap-image

180619163226-03-500-guns-california-convicted-felon-exlarge-169.jpg

Daymn...that's some nice old collector rifles that are probably going to be destroyed. Guy is an idiot, though, for not taking steps to protect his collection after he became a felon.

That's in Agua Dulce, CA. Back when I was a photojournalist I worked for the local newspaper that covered that area. I would have loved to be there to cover that just to see all those guns. I would probably have shown up back at the office crying.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
What a lawyer has to say about customizing your carry gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmYbV_7xGL4

Good video, not very long. Check it out.
Very good info, and what should be common sense to gun owners but too often isn't.

Your carry gun should be a generic, plain, black, unmodified tool that you only use as a last resort to save your life. It shouldn't be dressed up to make a political statement or blinged out to show you have some kind of gun fetish or a love of guns. Don't carry your custom .45 race gun with the light trigger, custom hammer, polished internals and the American Flag grips. Otherwise, it will be used against you in a court of law if you are every forced to use your gun in self-defense. They'll try to show either the gun was unsafe, or that you are some gun nut who couldn't wait for the opportunity to use your favorite toy on someone.

Reactions: MrBailey and clamum

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Range day; some Sig reps were there to raffle a pistol also. Cross your fingers.
61d7a5395e589618117b8dd55dc8ca83.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If anyone cares. I did a couple training courses this summer with FPF and they do a great job.
I found out that even though my Glock 42 is nice and compact its just not good enough for reliable self-defense. So I switched to my P290, which is also compact but a better overall weapon.

However it also looks like the P365 is even better than that, so I may purchase it this winter. We'll see. Anyway, I recommend you get regular retraining to help you keep your skills.

https://www.fpftraining.com/

John Murphy says he's not that great an instructor, and recommends visiting some of the elite trainers frequently found in West Virginia before they grow old and retire.

Reactions: clamum

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
If anyone cares. I did a couple training courses this summer with FPF and they do a great job.
I found out that even though my Glock 42 is nice and compact its just not good enough for reliable self-defense. So I switched to my P290, which is also compact but a better overall weapon.

However it also looks like the P365 is even better than that, so I may purchase it this winter. We'll see. Anyway, I recommend you get regular retraining to help you keep your skills.

https://www.fpftraining.com/

John Murphy says he's not that great an instructor, and recommends visiting some of the elite trainers frequently found in West Virginia before they grow old and retire.
Training is definitely a good thing. Popping some rounds off at the range every month or so isn't very good practice for defensive handgun use (assuming you carry). I admit I've only taken one class myself, a carbine one in 2015, but I'd definitely like to take more. I wish places didn't fill up so fricking fast, they're filled months in advance. And I honestly think they're overpriced for what they are. Multiple hundreds of dollars for 8 hours of someone giving you firearm instruction? And you gotta bring all equipment and ammo? Hmmm. I took my class through MDFI here in Michigan and it was good.

But anyway, good to hear you liked it. Also the P365 looks excellent, though I'd personally steer clear until they fix a seeming issue with strikers breaking. I'd put it off as a fluke if there wasn't so many reports of it. MilitaryArmsChannel has some videos on P365 possible issues

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Training is definitely a good thing. Popping some rounds off at the range every month or so isn't very good practice for defensive handgun use (assuming you carry). I admit I've only taken one class myself, a carbine one in 2015, but I'd definitely like to take more. I wish places didn't fill up so fricking fast, they're filled months in advance. And I honestly think they're overpriced for what they are. Multiple hundreds of dollars for 8 hours of someone giving you firearm instruction? And you gotta bring all equipment and ammo? Hmmm.

But anyway, good to hear you liked it. Also the P365 looks excellent, though I'd personally steer clear until they fix a seeming issue with strikers breaking. I'd put it off as a fluke if there wasn't so many reports of it. MilitaryArmsChannel has some videos on P365 possible issues
So expensive man, I wish it were cheaper. Everything is expensive when you get down to it lol; except for that AR that got posted.

I love my 365, no issues yet, maybe 250 rounds or so through it so far. I don't if the military arms guy got one of the new ones or not (haven't watched the vids yet). My brother has had his for longer than me; more rounds and no problems. Anecdotes FWIW.

Edit: just watched part of the video, I'll have to look at my magazines. I haven't put as many rounds as he did and I have one of each magazine that I've been playing with, so may not see anything even if the spring is extruding.
And watching the video reminded me why I stopped subscribing to the guy lol.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sig generally makes fine weapons, but like any product the first generation sometimes has problems.
The initial P290 was good but they decided to add a restrike capability (basically SA/DA) and branded it the 290RS. People loved it even more. But they never added a mounting rail and that always bugged me.

The 365 has a rail. But apparently they needed a whole new gun to do it.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
FWIW, had to look through my range bag for any stray brass from the P365. I think the issue is being blown out of proportion. Granted, I still have a fully functioning firearm.

ea2e61d8bc639f04001cd0477940b60b.jpg

G488

Jul 1, 2018
New project. The bolt catch roll pin can kiss my butt.
c2b066c6ee4c3e2e362b3f730808fb48.jpg

Looks like a pistol build - from the SB brace.

Didja finally get it all together, roll pins included???

I just finished a pistol build myself, might have to post a pic.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Looks like a pistol build - from the SB brace.

Didja finally get it all together, roll pins included???

I just finished a pistol build myself, might have to post a pic.
Not yet, yes it is going to be a pistol build. I'm waiting on a different grip and the trigger before finishing it. Bought the new Geisselle single stage trigger, can't wait to try it out. I have the SSA-E on my rifle and it's awesome. Everything else is together, that roll pin took almost an hour to tap in, I don't know WTF was going on.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Court victory legalizes 3D-printable gun blueprints
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/10/court-victory-legalizes-3d-printable-gun-blueprints/

First of all, I never understood how it was illegal in the first place. It isn't illegal to manufacture your own gun, you just can't legally transfer the gun to another individual since there is no serial number or documentation. For an AR-15, and I imagine others as well, you can buy an 80% lower receiver that doesn't have a serial number on it, you just have to finish the milling process for the last 20%. I know several guys that have done this. For most of them, it was just to see if they could do it.

Reactions: WiseUp216

G488

Jul 1, 2018
Not yet, yes it is going to be a pistol build. I'm waiting on a different grip and the trigger before finishing it. Bought the new Geisselle single stage trigger, can't wait to try it out. I have the SSA-E on my rifle and it's awesome. Everything else is together, that roll pin took almost an hour to tap in, I don't know WTF was going on.

Cool. I hate roll pins, they usually go in just fine, usually. When they don't it can be high stress!
Here's a pic of the pistol I just finished. 11.3" barrel. ARs are so much fun and the ability to make one just the way you want it is one of its best features!
113_AR.jpg

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Cool. I hate roll pins, they usually go in just fine, usually. When they don't it can be high stress!
Here's a pic of the pistol I just finished. 11.3" barrel. ARs are so much fun and the ability to make one just the way you want it is one of its best features!
113_AR.jpg
Nice looking pistol!

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
7/11/18 - war has been declared by the sovereign nation of Jeeebus against an enemy encroachment of iguanas that are tearing up my trees and multiplying like rabbits.

Make this easy for me. What air rifle do I need to thin the iguana herd? I'm guessing something powerful/accurate enough to hit an iguana in the head and pierce its thick skin.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
113_AR.jpg

What round? I shot an AR that used 9mm a few years back. Was a lot of fun.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Make this easy for me. What air rifle do I need to thin the iguana herd? I'm guessing something powerful/accurate enough to hit an iguana in the head and pierce its thick skin.

I find air guns to be problematic, except for the high dollar rifles. I own this, 25 cal, replaced the trigger and the scope:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP_XL_Air_Rifle/2052#4171

Caught it on sale for about $200. Sounds like a pneumatic staple gun. Should do the trick.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I think, everyone should use earplugs while shooing a gun. We got very loud sounds when shooting a gun. We need to protect our hearing somehow to use a custom shooting earplugs.
Do you have any earplugs that block our spam?

Last edited by a moderator:

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
7/11/18 - war has been declared by the sovereign nation of Jeeebus against an enemy encroachment of iguanas that are tearing up my trees and multiplying like rabbits.

Can you catch them and sell them as pets? If so, win - win.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
It isn't illegal to manufacture your own gun, you just can't legally transfer the gun to another individual since there is no serial number or documentation.

Even in CA, you can transfer your homemade gun to a gun buyback program.

gun-640x480.png

https://www.breitbart.com/californi...un-buyback-gets-played-with-homemade-shotgun/

Individuals running San Francisco’s annual gun buyback got played Saturday by an individual who turned in a homemade shotgun for money.

ABC 7 reports the buyback “offered $100 for every handgun and $200 for every assault weapon, no questions asked.” It was sponsored by United Playaz, a violence prevention group, and overseen by the San Francisco Police Department.

The homemade shotgun was one of 187 guns turned in during the day. It consisted of a pipe zip-tied to a piece a wood. It had no hammer or trigger and lacked sights.

I need to learn how to mass produce these "assault weapons" for the next buyback.

Reactions: Genx87 and Skel