YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 523 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Hmmm. A suppressor with an extra blast baffle would be quieter than a supressor lacking that extra baffle, right (in theory)? It seems weird though that a brake makes a gun louder, but when used with a suppressor it would be (possibly) quieter? Unless I'm misunderstanding.

It does not make the gun louder, it is just perceived by you and those around you as louder because of the gas being re directed. The advantage is lower recoil.

A supppressor works by capturing the hot gases exiting the barrel by allowing the gas to expand and cool. This lowers the noise level as you do not have those gases exiting out of the barrel at supersonic speed.

The first baffle in your suppressors baffle stack is the blast baffle, and being subject to immense heat and pressure, it takes the brunt of the force from the gases. Usually the blast baffles are made from iconel for rifle cans, and in pistol cans with mostly aluminum baffles, the blast baffle will be the one that is steel.

When using a brake for your suppressor mount rather than a flash hider, you should have no perceived difference with the can attached: the suppressor is still doing its job. However, with a brake attached, it is taking a lot of the brunt of the round, sparing the blast baffle in the can, and extending the suppressors life.

Without the suppressor, it will seem louder to you with the tradeoff being lower perceived recoil. However, presumably you will shoot with the can as much as possible. I would rather replace a muzzle brake mount for wear and tear than have to deal with damaged baffles.

Picture of a damaged brake mount from shooting -

LmHo3xh.jpg

P4141818.jpg

Wouldn't you rather see that on your brake than inside your suppressor?

Reactions: kinev

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It does not make the gun louder, it is just perceived by you and those around you as louder because of the gas being re directed. The advantage is lower recoil.

A supppressor works by capturing the hot gases exiting the barrel by allowing the gas to expand and cool. This lowers the noise level as you do not have those gases exiting out of the barrel at supersonic speed.

The first baffle in your suppressors baffle stack is the blast baffle, and being subject to immense heat and pressure, it takes the brunt of the force from the gases. Usually the blast baffles are made from iconel for rifle cans, and in pistol cans with mostly aluminum baffles, the blast baffle will be the one that is steel.

When using a brake for your suppressor mount rather than a flash hider, you should have no perceived difference with the can attached: the suppressor is still doing its job. However, with a brake attached, it is taking a lot of the brunt of the round, sparing the blast baffle in the can, and extending the suppressors life.

Without the suppressor, it will seem louder to you with the tradeoff being lower perceived recoil. However, presumably you will shoot with the can as much as possible. I would rather replace a muzzle brake mount for wear and tear than have to deal with damaged baffles.

Picture of a damaged brake mount from shooting -

LmHo3xh.jpg

P4141818.jpg

Wouldn't you rather see that on your brake than inside your suppressor?

Ah, that makes it much clearer, thank you for the explanation. Yeah that extra blast baffle from the brake definitely sounds like a good thing.

Now I just gotta figure out which one to get. Honestly I'd like to spend as little as possible, basically, since I gotta buy the dang H.A.T.E. Ring and MAAD mount as well. I'm thinkin it might be the AAC ones but I just gotta figure out which 51T one is the right one/compatible.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Picked up a Taurus 24/7 G2 in .45 ACP a few weeks back.

Picked up a Beretta BU-9 Nano, but I have yet to shoot it. I also have a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm on order, be about 3 weeks.

I needed a few more 9mm, since I gave my dad my Ruger P95 so he'd have a defense weapon.

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
How's this gun/deal for a starter gun for a dude who's never owned a gun before and only shot once?
Ruger SR22 22LR, 3 mags, $319

I got this same deal from them for $309 this summer and I really like it! It's been totally reliable (even when pretty dirty) and the only issues I have with it is from cheap, bulk .22 LR rounds that don't go "bang".

Not sure if it's the best starter gun, though. Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "starter". I bought it just as a fun plinking gun that's cheap to shoot (now that .22 is more available). I can also work on my handgun fundamentals (which are terrible) for cheap.

What is your main reason for getting a handgun? If it's for personal/home defense, this is better than nothing, but 9mm is a better "starter" caliber for that. Practice with FMJ and keep HPs for defense. If it's purely for fun, then it's a great little gun. It's also a great way to introduce people who are scared of guns to how fun they can be; especially women. Since you're already set on getting a handgun, I don't think that would apply to you.

One thing you might consider is finding a gun range with rentals that allows free rental exchanges. Go there, rent a lane, and try out as many 9mms as you can (double bonus if the range allows you to bring your own ammo). Always buy rounds and targets somewhere cheaper than the range if possible; they gouge you like movie theaters & snacks. This way, you will get your hands on many different handguns and you can find one that you like. Just my two cents...

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Anybody here own or have extensively fired the Hi Point Carbine? I know their pistols are universally reviled, but the Carbine seems to review good. Thinking about picking up one for plinking.

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
Anybody here own or have extensively fired the Hi Point Carbine? I know their pistols are universally reviled, but the Carbine seems to review good. Thinking about picking up one for plinking.

I have a 40 S&W. When I got I wanted to test it out. I did nothing to it but make sure the barrel had nothing stuck in it. Took 20 rounds out of 6 different boxes of the cheapest ammo I could find. Put it in a bowl and mixed it up. Loaded 12 magazines randomly and went to the range (indoor: 25 yards _ it was raining out:)).

Sat at the bench with no rest just propping up on my elbow. Ran the target out. Took off my seeing glasses put on my safety glasses. I could make out the 2 inch bullseye (I am nearsighted) but, I did not want to see any hits. Shot all 120 rounds as fast as I could. All but 8 of the 120 made 1 hole about 2 by 2.5 inches. Centered 4 inches above the bullseye. 8 flyer's out of 120 I'll take it. Never failed to feed, eject, fire or go into battery.

As to the pistols I bought a 9 at Cabelas. I knew the reputation so I did a internal polish on it before I fired it the first time. But, the only thing I have had a problem with is with steel case ammo alum and brass works well. I shot 300 rounds through it the first day. Except for the steel case I fired 230+ rounds before I got a fail to battery. Unloaded it, it was very dirty. Hosed it off with WD-40 and shot the rest with out a problem.

The pistol triggers are not very smooth and there are no reliable extended mags for them. Use only factory mags and open the mags and oil the spring on them.

For the 9 carbine someone is making a 20 mag that is supposed to be very good and butt ugly. (I may get a 9)

I have never had any problem shooting with my reloads except when I loaded them weak. Hi-Points likes +P's!

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I take it you think the Carbine is worth the money? They seem to run about $300 ish, depending on how you accessorize them (I would just do iron sights on mine).

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
I take it you think the Carbine is worth the money? They seem to run about $300 ish, depending on how you accessorize them (I would just do iron sights on mine).

Yes I do. If it fits your needs or you're just looking for something to play with.:) (With factory mags only!)

It goes bang every time and hits what I aim at. I reload for it so I have plenty of ammo. Unlike the 9 it uses the same mags as the pistol.
When Cabela's has them the price is $270. I got mine from Bud's. Through Sun (10/30/2016) Cabela's has $50 in C-bucks if you spend $200. I got my 9 pistol in a similar deal last year.

More on the 9 pistol:
I knew about the issues with it. I was looking for a project. Don't get a 9 pistol unless you are willing to tune it. And not much can be done with the triggers. The 40 and 45 are good to go out of the box. I don't know about the 380. From what I have read all the carbines are good to go. With factory mags only!

If you don't reload 9mm practice ammo is cheaper, if you do the cost is about the same as the 40. And you can get Hi-Point approved 20 round mags for the 9. If you want.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Yeah, it would be a range toy. I suppose it could do home defense in a pinch, but I think my .45 is more suited to that. ;)

I am looking at the 9mm model, because I already have tons of 9mm, I'm talking thousands of rounds. I think it's also a bit cheaper than the .40. I'm not interested in a Hi Point pistol, though. Got too many other guns to buy before I pick up a project like that! A nice Mosin is in my future, too.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Damn this thread keeps getting lost...?

But have a new gun on its way and will not say what it is just yet... :D

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Feels good to buy a gun /gunparts out of freedom, not out of fear. Doesn't it?

Almost threw some money that way just to celebrate - but that would be fiscally irresponsible for me ATM.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Well, at least guns and ammo prices won't go up to the roof. Time to relax and take inventory.

Hopefully, 9 mm will down to $.20/rd and 5.56 will down to $0.3/rd. <brass only, not steel>

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I sure hope Donald can get some Supreme Court justices on the court and get some decisions that will set back the efforts of gun control supporters 100's of years.

It would be nice if the hearing protection act can get fastracked and signed asap after inauguration.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I sure hope Donald can get some Supreme Court justices on the court and get some decisions that will set back the efforts of gun control supporters 100's of years.

It would be nice if the hearing protection act can get fastracked and signed asap after inauguration.

With any luck RVG will retire and he gets to replace her.

HPA would be awesome, in parts of Europe, silencers cost very little and are sold like all other gun parts. The biggest problem is how Hollywood has portrayed silencers as 100% quiet and the tools of assassins.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
@ Academy
Blazer® Brass 9mm Luger 115-Grain FMJ Centerfire Pistol Ammunition

$9.99 was $12.99

Sale started today?
Online Free Shipping?
But , "Sorry, we just ran out of 9MM115G FMJ BLZR BRAS 50R. Please add a different item to your cart." And
"Fewer than 3 in stock at local store."

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Do you guys know of anywhere that is a good place to buy from, or has a deal on, regular forged AR-15 lowers? I'm thinking about building a 20" M16 clone. I just like the looks of the old school, iron sights rifles. :awe:

Last edited:

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Do you guys know of anywhere that is a good place to buy from, or has a deal on, regular forged AR-15 lowers? I'm thinking about building a 20" M16 clone. I just like the looks of the old school, iron sights rifles. :awe:

Buds gun shop usually has some.

I also built a m16 clone, but needed up swapping the carry handle for a true clone of my service rifle by adding the proper ACOG and KAC railed handguards. Definitely my favorite AR.

txK1ADY.jpg

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
TN Arms does poly stripped lowers for ~$50-60. I plan on getting one custom engraved from them.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
TN Arms does poly stripped lowers for ~$50-60. I plan on getting one custom engraved from them.

With the minimal price difference, I'd rather have an aluminum lower. I know some of the polymer stuff is fine, but I'd pass.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
"I'd rather have an aluminum lower."

Me X2... ;)

Some things they make out of plastic just er um I do not care for...

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Yea, I replaced the lower on my carbon 15 with a psa one. The plastic one broke where the buffer tube screws in.