YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 470 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Which is why I mentioned CCW. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have your CCW permit AND open carry is legal the printing and brandishing issues are out the window right? If so, you can CCW w/o the fear that someone catching a glance at your weapon will cause a major issue.

While I pretty much support open carry it's not something I'm interested in.

Typically concealed and open are compartmentalized. If you're open carrying, you can't partially cover it. At least that's how it is up here in WA.

Some states don't (didn't?) allow your gun to be visible at all if during CC. I don't think any were so strict that printing would get you in trouble, but a shirt riding up and showing the grip could do it.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of printing doing it. Shirt riding up...would probably just get attention, not get you in real trouble. As long as you have a CPL.

Open carry is also typically unloaded. Not something I'd want to do.

That was in CA only. (and they'd violate your 4th amendment rights and search the gun.)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Dunno about your area but I learned some stuff.

In my area: You cannot open carry unless you also have a CC permit.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

I would think you would have to have one, just to justify a bit of training with it.

Not familiar with open carry things, I still wouldn't.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

In my area, open carry requires no permits. The only oddity is that you MAY NOT open carry in a bank, but you MAY conceal carry.

It'll differ by state.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Nightforce arrived today -

ds1dWeQh.jpg

I already have the nightforce one piece direct mount with rings bedded to the action, I cant wait to get this new scope installed and zeroed.

I also have a timney 510 trigger showing up later in the week to install to the rifle. That should improve on the crappy xmark considerably.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Changing my mind again, now agonizing over which 9 I want. PPQ M2 vs VP9. Don't have anything from H&K so that's kinda tempting, but honestly the default back strap makes the grip large enough that the trigger guard paddle mag release is a little too far for my thumb to hit without changing my grip. Could use the ambidextrous release on the other side with my dominant index or offhand, but it would definitely take some getting used to. I have some reasonably large hands so this was something I'd never experienced before. Really want to hold the VP9 with the smaller back strap to see how it feels.. The PPQ feels like a dream.

Such similar pistols, I feel like it could go either way. Worried I'd have a small amount of buyers remorse with either purchase. Don't have money for both. :-(
I have a ppq in .40 and love it

I think that's a solid choice

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Changing my mind again, now agonizing over which 9 I want. PPQ M2 vs VP9. Don't have anything from H&K so that's kinda tempting, but honestly the default back strap makes the grip large enough that the trigger guard paddle mag release is a little too far for my thumb to hit without changing my grip. Could use the ambidextrous release on the other side with my dominant index or offhand, but it would definitely take some getting used to. I have some reasonably large hands so this was something I'd never experienced before. Really want to hold the VP9 with the smaller back strap to see how it feels.. The PPQ feels like a dream.

Such similar pistols, I feel like it could go either way. Worried I'd have a small amount of buyers remorse with either purchase. Don't have money for both. :-(

With the HK, the best way to release the mag is with your middle finger. Super easy, and can be done right or left handed. Also, if you plan on getting the VP9, get the LE model. It includes upgraded sights and an extra mag (3 mags vs 2). FYI though if you've never own an HK pistol, mags are normally around the $60-$70 price range and generally speaking, cost of ownership of an HK is higher than other pistols.

That being said, I'd choose the HK over PPQ. Both are great pistols (really can't go wrong with either), but I'd give the nod to the HK. Love HK quality.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010

I tried out the VP9 at the range a few weeks ago. Shot a lot like my M&P with better ergonomics. Can't say I've tried the PPQ, but I've fired its P99 precursor in .40S&W and liked it, I'm interested in a PPQ M1 in .40 at some point.

You can't really go wrong with either, especially in 9mm. If you end up with buyer's remorse, you were trying too hard to decide.

With the HK, the best way to release the mag is with your middle finger.

I'd leave this up to shooter preference. Walther/H&K lever-release pistols I handle with sliding my index finger along the trigger guard and feels just as natural as a regular button, but then again the P99 was the first pistol I was truly familiar with. Using the middle finger to me just sounds awkward and/or like a lack of trigger discipline waiting to happen.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'd leave this up to shooter preference. Walther/H&K lever-release pistols I handle with sliding my index finger along the trigger guard and feels just as natural as a regular button, but then again the P99 was the first pistol I was truly familiar with. Using the middle finger to me just sounds awkward and/or like a lack of trigger discipline waiting to happen.

Nah, it's like using your thumb to release the mag, just a different finger. Using my middle finger allows me to bring my trigger finger back to the rest position on the frame, while ejecting the mag, similar to using your thumb to eject the mag on the standard button mag release. Trigger finger goes to the same position when using a button or paddle, and the middle finger is pushing down, not back. It also feels more natural to me.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Nah, it's like using your thumb to release the mag, just a different finger. Using my middle finger allows me to bring my trigger finger back to the rest position on the frame, while ejecting the mag, similar to using your thumb to eject the mag on the standard button mag release. Trigger finger goes to the same position when using a button or paddle, and the middle finger is pushing down, not back. It also feels more natural to me.

Using the middle finger to me seems to force the index inside the guard while losing grip.

Not saying your way is wrong, but this is exactly why I leave it to personal preference over a catch-all approach. Never, ever, EVER will I assert one method to be "the best" and it's prejudicial to do so.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Even for the quality, HK seems overpriced to me.

I think they cost so much because the military uses tax dollars to get them. Same reason an F-22 cost 50 million but its not such a hot plane.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Using the middle finger to me seems to force the index inside the guard while losing grip.

Not saying your way is wrong, but this is exactly why I leave it to personal preference over a catch-all approach. Never, ever, EVER will I assert one method to be "the best" and it's prejudicial to do so.

It really doesn't, but I agree with you, personal preference.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

I think they cost so much because the military uses tax dollars to get them. Same reason an F-22 cost 50 million but its not such a hot plane.

You can get the HK VP9 LE model for about $650-700, while the standard VP9 goes for $550-$600. Pretty much Glock price range.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Appreciate all the insight, essentially the same thoughts I have had. Ended up purchasing two days ago, the PPQ M2 is now part of my collection. I liked the VP9 a lot as well, but the PPQ won me over. Both pistols feel great in the hand, but the Walther just feels a little more great (for me).

My Talon grips should be here tomorrow to make the grip absolutely perfect.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Appreciate all the insight, essentially the same thoughts I have had. Ended up purchasing two days ago, the PPQ M2 is now part of my collection. I liked the VP9 a lot as well, but the PPQ won me over. Both pistols feel great in the hand, but the Walther just feels a little more great (for me).

My Talon grips should be here tomorrow to make the grip absolutely perfect.

Like I said, you really can't go wrong with either one. Congrats!

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

they cost 150 mil, and its the best at its job in the world.

we canned it because the F35 was supposed to be cheaper(its not) and it had no competition from anywhere, so we had enough of them

HK is just maybe a little overpriced overall, the VP9 doesn't seem bad though

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Like I said, you really can't go wrong with either one. Congrats!

Yep. I really thought I might have some remorse about not getting the VP9; but I really don't. I'm quite happy with the PPQ M2, although I do almost wish it had the ambi lever mag release from the M1 version. My plinker is a P22 so I was already used to it and kinda liked it. That said, the button mag release on the M2 is pretty nice.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Nightforce is now mounted to my AAC-SD, along with a nightforce remington 700 one piece direct mount.

yDqrImo.jpg

Just have to wait for the timney trigger to show up tomorrow, get it installed, and I can go get it zeroed.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Picked up a TLR2g for my new PPQ which now has Talon grips, too. So many new toys for my new toy. (Guns are not toys children!)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Nightforce arrived today -

ds1dWeQh.jpg

I already have the nightforce one piece direct mount with rings bedded to the action, I cant wait to get this new scope installed and zeroed.

I also have a timney 510 trigger showing up later in the week to install to the rifle. That should improve on the crappy xmark considerably.

Nice looking scope!

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Thank you. As soon as I get my range membership card in the mail (had to renew it), I hope to take it and get it zeroed soon.

I don't want to get too crazy with the zero though, as soon as the form 4 for the suppressor I got for that rifle shows up, I will fine tune it.