YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
So in the last 4 years, what has Obama done to restrict access to them? What makes you think he'll do anything in the next 4 if he wins?

I live in CA where we have crazy liberals running the state and therefore have some silly gun laws; I doubt the federal government will do anything worse than laws we currently have on the books here.

It's not the last four years that's the issue.....its the fact he has said he wants to bring back the assault weapon ban that expired. It's even on hos website as one of his goals now to bring it back. Might not happen but since he made it public that he wants it.....

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
So in the last 4 years, what has Obama done to restrict access to them? What makes you think he'll do anything in the next 4 if he wins?

I live in CA where we have crazy liberals running the state and therefore have some silly gun laws; I doubt the federal government will do anything worse than laws we currently have on the books here.
Yeah well the rest of the country doesn't want the retarded ass laws that you have in Kalifornia...and Obama went on the record last night saying he wanted to bring back the "assault weapon ban" cause nobody needs "automatic" weapons:rolleyes:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yeah well the rest of the country doesn't want the retarded ass laws that you have in Kalifornia...and Obama went on the record last night saying he wanted to bring back the "assault weapon ban" cause nobody needs "automatic" weapons:rolleyes:

I also loved how Romney touted Massachusetts's gun laws as model of cooperation. Maybe they were at the time, but I don't know a single pro-gun person anywhere who likes them nowadays.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I also loved how Romney touted Massachusetts's gun laws as model of cooperation. Maybe they were at the time, but I don't know a single pro-gun person anywhere who likes them nowadays.
Yeah he's full of shit too but at least we know he wouldn't oppose the NRA...there really is nobody worth voting for this election:\

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Not just that, gun prices are inflated right now. Wait until Jan.

Or just wait until these come out next year. *mouth waters*

usa_tavor_rifle_stickman-tfb.jpeg

Screw AR-15s. Israeli service rifle FTW!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

Damn that looks sweet! I'm assuming that they're making a semi auto version? I def wouldn't mind having a bullpup rifle. :awe:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I have to say, the Tavor is one of the best-looking bullpups and I'm really looking forward (to having enough money) to buy one. Just from the preview vids, the layout looks awesome. The FS2000 has a really weird layout, the mag release is sticky and doesn't support PMAGs OOB. I'm wary of Keltec as a company even if the RFB looks decent. AUGs are just ungodly expensive.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

If i had to own a bullpup, that might be the one, but the AR15s have too much support, too many good parts, mods and such. The trigger on my AR15 is only beaten by something like a Remington 700, and even then only barely.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
If i had to own a bullpup, that might be the one, but the AR15s have too much support, too many good parts, mods and such. The trigger on my AR15 is only beaten by something like a Remington 700, and even then only barely.

Granted no bullpup trigger will ever equal a tuned AR-15, but for practical purposes you probably don't need that tuning to start with. Given that I'm on the East Coast with no real open areas > 100 yards and plenty of urban areas, I'd be ecstatic to have a Tavor as my SHTF rifle.

That said I've also got my eyes set on a Barrett REC7 and an Arsenal SGL-21. :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
With respect to handguns (not sure if it applies to rifles also), what do the recoil spring and main spring do?

The recoil spring does what it sounds like, absorbs the recoil and cycles the slide, chambering the next round.

The main spring powers the hammer or striker.

Here you can see both with respect to a 1911 (main spring will differ on other guns, recoil spring works roughly the same universally)

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have to say, the Tavor is one of the best-looking bullpups and I'm really looking forward (to having enough money) to buy one. Just from the preview vids, the layout looks awesome. The FS2000 has a really weird layout, the mag release is sticky and doesn't support PMAGs OOB. I'm wary of Keltec as a company even if the RFB looks decent. AUGs are just ungodly expensive.
I actually think Kel-Tec makes some pretty good stuff, even though it seems to be goddamn hard to find. I'd love to have a RFB. Check out nutnfancy's reviews of Kel-Tec firearms. Honestly when I saw that pic irishScott posted I thought "Damn that looks like a Kel-Tec gun" haha. I dunno, just the style of it invokes Kel-Tec design to me for some reason.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Their KSG looks interesting. Looks like it has mixed reviews:

KSG_3357web.jpg

I might buy one at some point :)

Good luck finding one though. Stores seem to get them inn for ~800 bucks and they sell almost instantly it seems. I know wholesale sports near me got 8 in and all 8 sold within like 10 hours. Buying them online is crazy as so many people resell them for ~1200+ it seems.

That and ive heard nothing but mixed reviews on it. Seems like tons of people having feeding issues with them.

As for me ive been looking at this stock for a ruger 10/22 to have fun plinking with. Cheap ammo and fun to shoot :)

Red_Jacket_ZK22__4f9206153f44b_300x300.jpg

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
^^I like that ZK-22 stock but they're about as much as the rifle itself. It'll be hard to justify for myself since I've already spent almost as much as I want on my 10/22 with the default stock (sans scope covers). :p

I actually think Kel-Tec makes some pretty good stuff, even though it seems to be goddamn hard to find. I'd love to have a RFB. Check out nutnfancy's reviews of Kel-Tec firearms. Honestly when I saw that pic irishScott posted I thought "Damn that looks like a Kel-Tec gun" haha. I dunno, just the style of it invokes Kel-Tec design to me for some reason.

The reason for my concern is my brother's fiancee had some really bad experiences with a P3-AT. Not top-shelf for sure, but I don't think their service helped any. That led to a S&W Bodyguard and then a Taurus M327. I actually liked the feel of a P-11 at gun show earlier this year but I never tried the trigger. The RFB and KSG both look good, but I'd rather not spend so much money to find out about the quality. If the Tavor will be the same price anyway, I'll go with that and spend less on the ammo.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Their KSG looks interesting. Looks like it has mixed reviews:

KSG_3357web.jpg

I might buy one at some point :)

If you want fun to shoot, just get this:

0902-0818.jpg

I picked one up for $300. You can easily change to a telescoping stock, but the pistol grip works well. Kicks hard when shooting magnum shells too, but it is TONS of gun. Great defense gun - it's still 16" barrel length with the welded breaching tip on it, but it's super easy to move around with.

I just need to buy a side saddle shell holder and new sights (tritium, with a ghost ring or similar.)

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

0902-0818.jpg

I picked one up for $300. You can easily change to a telescoping stock, but the pistol grip works well. Kicks hard when shooting magnum shells too, but it is TONS of gun. Great defense gun - it's still 16" barrel length with the welded breaching tip on it, but it's super easy to move around with.

I just need to buy a side saddle shell holder and new sights (tritium, with a ghost ring or similar.)

But it's long, doesn't have a stock, doesn't hold 15 rounds of deadly awesome and, most importantly, doesn't look like a Stormtrooper Rifle. :p

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
But it's long, doesn't have a stock, doesn't hold 15 rounds of deadly awesome and, most importantly, doesn't look like a Stormtrooper Rifle. :p

It's also way more reliable. Having 15 rounds isn't at all useful when 50% of reviews cite feed issues. Only issue with my Mossberg 500 here is that I can short shuck and not get a shell in the chamber.

That said, the fles is shorter - 16" barrel...and weighs less by 1lb. Moreover, look into what the flex series does - you can swap the front grip and the stock in seconds: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/6-1029019

Also, with the pistol grip only, it's far more mobile of a gun, IMO. I can hold it at my hip height and fire it reliably with magnum rounds...or switch to reduced recoil 02 pellet shells to reduce wall penetration. And mount a light on the for end. Overall, I find that the flex tactical offers a far better mobile platform than a bullpup with - a bullpup might be more accurate, but I can easily go around a corner with my flex...less easily with a bullpup.

I'd take the flex which is basically a 500 with a new stock system - over anything from keltec.

But the only reason that matters really is: it's fun as hell to shoot 3" shells from it. Seeing people's reaction to firing the gun just ONCE...you get more of a reaction than shooting hot loads from a .44 or a .41. :p

Edit:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/robert-farago/gun-review-kel-tec-ksg/
Reliability * * * [out of 5]
We experienced a couple of jams and the unloading kerfuffle does not inspire confidence. Nor does Kel-Tec’s rep for quality. Still, the KSG felt a lot more solid than the SHOT Show prototypes and it’s a pretty basic system.

Last edited:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

0902-0818.jpg

I've got an 870 tactical already, but it has a standard stock and no pistol grip.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
^^I like that ZK-22 stock but they're about as much as the rifle itself. It'll be hard to justify for myself since I've already spent almost as much as I want on my 10/22 with the default stock (sans scope covers). :p

Thats the biggest reason i havent gotten one yet. At 300 its actually more than the ruger 10/22 is