YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Wait, I'm talking about the lubricative (sp? lol) properties of grease. Wouldn't grease help reduce the friction of slide on frame greatly?

I've seen some people say to grease the outside of the barrel...is this correct?

Why grease the barrel? You'll just cook off any lube when you shoot the gun. Oil contact points, no more.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
What's up with the trillions of cleaners and lubricants and oils and greases for guns? Its maddening! Worse than choosing PC components lol.

You have solvents for copper, lead, or general purpose. Then stuff specifically made for the wood.

A general purpose product works fine; it just takes a little more effort.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Just picked up a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 tonight! It was dark by the time I got home, so it'll have to wait until sometime over the weekend to try it out.

Originally I was going to get the M&P-15 Sport, which lacks a dust cover, forward assist, and removable trigger guard, but the gun shop was running a deal on this one (regular M&P-15 I believe, though with a fixed stock to be CT-compliant). I got the gun, stock 10-round magazine, two Magpul Pmag 30 rounders, and a Truglow red dot optic (probably junk, but it'll work for now) for $749.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Doesn't matter. How do you think oil prevents rust? It prevents oxygen from reaching the metal. A layer of grease does the same thing. Except it does it better, as it is thicker. It hangs around longer and will protect even once it has dried out.

Yeah but you aren't coating every surface of the gun with a thin film of grease. You only put grease on the contact points of moving parts.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah but you aren't coating every surface of the gun with a thin film of grease. You only put grease on the contact points of moving parts.

...your original statement was that grease does not prevent rust. Are you now agreeing with me that your original statement was incorrect?

Moreover, you don't cover the entire gun in oil. That's what bluing, parkerizing, tennifer and such are for.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
...your original statement was that grease does not prevent rust. Are you now agreeing with me that your original statement was incorrect?

Moreover, you don't cover the entire gun in oil. That's what bluing, parkerizing, tennifer and such are for.

You do cover all exposed metal in oil. When you wipe a part down with oil, a microscopic film is left behind which protects against corrosion. The use of grease as a lubricant instead of oil does not prevent corrosion. Bluing does not prevent rust either. Obviously if you have a SS gun it's not really an issue.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I thought that youre supposed to wipe a thin layer of oil over the gun?

Yes, it is a good idea to wipe the gun down down with a cloth that has a drop of CLP on it, and then dry the gun off with a clean cloth. This leaves behind a microscopic protective layer.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I saw a beautiful CZ 75B in polished stainless steel at the gun shop today before I bought my AR. That thing was absolutely gorgeous.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Dunno, some people suggested greasing it and some people suggested oiling it. *shrugs*

It doesn't really matter. Buy some of both, you'll spend all of maybe $6 or $8. Try them both and see what you like best and what your gun seems to like best.

I use grease on the slide rails of my semi auto pistols (except the Glocks, which specifically recommend oil) and oil/CLP on the other moving parts.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
You do cover all exposed metal in oil. When you wipe a part down with oil, a microscopic film is left behind which protects against corrosion. The use of grease as a lubricant instead of oil does not prevent corrosion. Bluing does not prevent rust either. Obviously if you have a SS gun it's not really an issue.

Yes, it is a good idea to wipe the gun down down with a cloth that has a drop of CLP on it, and then dry the gun off with a clean cloth. This leaves behind a microscopic protective layer.

First, you evaded my question. So I'll fill in what you are incapable of saying: you were wrong. Grow up and admit it. Grease prevents oxidation. Period. End of that discussion.

No, you don't. We're not talking about bare metal here. We are not talking about the barrel either, as you will cook any oil off the barrel. You dump 60 rounds through a run and any oil on the barrel is GONE. Second, you don't coat the outside: the last thing you need is oil on the areas of the gun where you need to have a good grip. Lastly, you don't coat a lot of the action (say, in my garand, I lubricate contact points.) - this is because you don't want dirt collecting in there.

You don't need to worry about dust on 99% of all guns out there: they have bluing, tennifer or whatever else. Those coatings prevent rust. If you have bare metal, it's a contact point (and rust is less likely to collect there) or you need to think about getting that taken care of.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Bluing isn't that effective against rust. It's better than nothing, but it's offers inferior protection than almost anything else.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
On handguns, I always give the outside of the barrel a coat of slide glide (grease). I also put slide glide on the slide/rail contact points and use oil elsewhere, depending on the gun. After cleaning, all the metal parts of the gun already have a coat of oil and I wipe it down with a dry patch.

I don't know about oil, but I know there will still be slide glide on my barrel after 1k rounds. My guns are tools and I don't expect them to stay perfect, but I give them help when I can. That means a coat on all metal, regardless of coating from the factory.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Well, since everybody is talking about grease, oil, and whatever.. Here's what I use.
Mobile_one.jpg

Seriously. My AR runs flawlessly with some mobil1 in the right places. I started using it on my handgun too and haven't had any issues, smoother than ever before and it just works. Lots of guys on AR15.com have been doing it, figured I'd give it a shot.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Guys I was just wondering...Is there any way for a gun smith to decrease the distance of a trigger pull? I was just at a gun show and I was looking at the Sig sp2022. Loved it so much, except the trigger pull just felt too far on the double action. Not sure if it's something I could/would get used to, but at first try, I didn't really like the feel of how long the pull was.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Well, since everybody is talking about grease, oil, and whatever.. Here's what I use.
Mobile_one.jpg

Seriously. My AR runs flawlessly with some mobil1 in the right places. I started using it on my handgun too and haven't had any issues, smoother than ever before and it just works. Lots of guys on AR15.com have been doing it, figured I'd give it a shot.

If you are serious about that, it should be 0w-10 or something, according to my gun nut buddies at VGOF.com.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
If you are serious about that, it should be 0w-10 or something, according to my gun nut buddies at VGOF.com.

Absolutely serious. And I actually use 0W-30, works great, my AR cycles smoother than it ever did with the "best" gun oils/lubes. A few of my buddies run their 1911s exclusively on mobil1 as well and have no issues

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Guys I was just wondering...Is there any way for a gun smith to decrease the distance of a trigger pull? I was just at a gun show and I was looking at the Sig sp2022. Loved it so much, except the trigger pull just felt too far on the double action. Not sure if it's something I could/would get used to, but at first try, I didn't really like the feel of how long the pull was.

There are triggers with a set screw to reduce over travel. Take up can also be reduced on some.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Absolutely serious. And I actually use 0W-30, works great, my AR cycles smoother than it ever did with the "best" gun oils/lubes. A few of my buddies run their 1911s exclusively on mobil1 as well and have no issues

Most gun oils are just glorified mineral oils from what I've seen.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

Some guns yes, some no. Dunno about Sigs, but Glock triggers are serviceable. But NEVER EVER expect a plastic gun to match a 1911's trigger pull. Just won't happen. Similarly, I know my current rifles won't match the Remington 700's trigger pull (which by the way is amazing) but the Super V trigger on my AR15 comes damn close.

Bluing isn't that effective against rust. It's better than nothing, but it's offers inferior protection than almost anything else.

Bluing is one of the least effective, but unless you scratch it, it's fine. Bluing is only the least effective since it only penetrates .001 into the metal or something pretty small. Parkerizing is better. Tennifer IIRC is a coating. Relatively speaking, Bluing is fine because it essentially pre-rusts the gun. Plating is also very durable.

Moreover, some of these are simple to redo: my model 58 is about to be reblued by S&W, and a hot blue is both simple, and relatively cheap.

Random aside:

Was deep in the woods, managed to hit a target 40-50 feet out with my 1911. Good for me, since I have NEVER tried at that distance before with a handgun. Love the satisfying "clang" of a bullet hitting metal.

Further aside: turns out, they sold me MAGNUM 00 BUCK ROUNDS...with my shotgun that has no buttstock. I started firing the gun for the first time going "gee, this hurts some" - friend fired it, set it down and looked my ammo, "Dude? Why the hell are you firing magnum shells through a gun with no stock? Are you crazy?" Heh. Pump action shotguns ROCK. I will take a pump over a sem-auto ANY day for the fun factor.

Last edited:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
How do you guys feel about posting pictures of your personal guns online? I took a few pictures of my collection, but I've read a few other forums where people refused to post any of their actual guns. I don't know if they're just being paranoid, or if it's one of those "may not be a good idea" things like posting a picture with your license plate visible. Obviously I wouldn't have any serial numbers visible in any pictures.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I used to have pics of all my guns on Facebook but took them off. Not quite sure why though, but I guess I would attribute it to paranoia if I had to give an answer.