YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 553 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm assuming you're speaking of this one?

Say what you will about the SAR, but mine can walk itself into battle..

View attachment 10505
I love my original Tavor. Took it to a defensive carbine class several years ago and it rocked.

I did try to switch the charging handle to the other side, so I could mount a flashlight that I could get to easily with my thumb, but I couldn't even figure it out and had to put it back like it was. Maybe I'm just dumb. Other than that, I love it and will never sell it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Here's a question for y'all: for you guys that have ammo stocked up, do you cycle through the ammo so you can replace older ammo with newer purchased ammo?

I have a couple calibers stored in military ammo cans and I'd like to occasionally buy new ammo and take some old ammo to the range, replacing it with the new stuff. I know the ammo doesn't go bad in a couple years, but it still seems like a good idea to cycle through it.

But I'd want to pull from the bottom to get the oldest ammo. Not easy. If I took all the ammo out and put the oldest stuff on top, OK that's fine, but how do I put the newly purchased ammo on the bottom then?

Is it just pointless to cycle through the ammo, like I want to do?

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Here's a question for y'all: for you guys that have ammo stocked up, do you cycle through the ammo so you can replace older ammo with newer purchased ammo?

I have a couple calibers stored in military ammo cans and I'd like to occasionally buy new ammo and take some old ammo to the range, replacing it with the new stuff. I know the ammo doesn't go bad in a couple years, but it still seems like a good idea to cycle through it.

But I'd want to pull from the bottom to get the oldest ammo. Not easy. If I took all the ammo out and put the oldest stuff on top, OK that's fine, but how do I put the newly purchased ammo on the bottom then?

I'm sure you will get differing opinions, but in a protected environment in sealed ammo cans, you are probably looking at decades. I've shot some really old stuff with no problem. Certainly good enough to burn through, maybe not the first thing you would load you mag with for carry purposes.

I'd shop cases about on a monthly bases. If something of quality came along at a decent price I would snatch it up and fill the ammo cans. Thinking is that if the shtf, quality ammo that is desired for reloading would be in highest demand, if you chose not to diy. I was looking for Lake City or IMI. Ended up with the IMI.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I love my original Tavor. Took it to a defensive carbine class several years ago and it rocked.

I did try to switch the charging handle to the other side, so I could mount a flashlight that I could get to easily with my thumb, but I couldn't even figure it out and had to put it back like it was. Maybe I'm just dumb. Other than that, I love it and will never sell it.

For charging handles I can't recommend getting a locking one enough. It's something that I really feel should have been the stock version, not an aftermarket thing. The stock one always bounced around when I was moving with it. I replaced mine with this LINK. Made a universe of difference.

For the flashlight I went a bit of a different way. I got this LINK. and then bought this light which I mounted the pressure pad on the right side of the guard. I did go back and added a layer of heat resistant material to put between the barrel and the wires of the light. I was paranoid that the barrel heat might start causing issues with the wires. Nothing happened in all the rounds before I added it, but it just bothered me.

I have a couple calibers stored in
military ammo cans and I'd like to occasionally buy new ammo and take some old ammo to the range, replacing it with the new stuff. I know the ammo doesn't go bad in a couple years, but it still seems like a good idea to cycle through it.

I have ammo that I don't cycle because I don't shoot the caliber as much, like 22. Seems every time I decide to shoot it I just end up buying a box at the range. Things like 9mm and the like that I do shoot a lot gets cycled a lot... except for a case that's in my car. I keep forgetting about it and when I do remember I just don't want to deal with the loose ammo.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
I have the GHW charging handle, short rail, front sight, TMF scout handguard with a surefire scout in it, the ejection port cover, and the manticore butt pad. Also have the geissele lightning bow and super sabra trigger.

It’s a lot of money to drop to make the Tavor right, but I think it was worth it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, the "Hebrew Hammer" as some of you like to call it will be sold at my local joint sometime next week. I'll probably make a hundred bucks on it with the way things are going in Virginny.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Ammo from ww2 is just fine if stored well, it’s not worth sweating.
Roger that. I knew ammo could be stored for a while, but it sounds like it can be stored long enough that I'll probably be dead before it goes bad (it's stored in ammo cans, in a cool dark closet).

I'd like to get my P229's slide cut for a Trijicon RMR or other small RDS. Just not sure who to contact to have the work done. Anyone know of a reliable place that does this sorta work? I know I can search but was wondering if anyone here had some experience or knowledge first-hand.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, so already I do not like this thing. It feels flimsy and cheap. The safety lever doesnt always engage.
I cant pull the bolt back when theres a round in the chamber and no magazine. In fact the bolt seems to stick at random times. Or rather the bolt handle. I didnt try to force the bolt with tools or anything.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Roger that. I knew ammo could be stored for a while, but it sounds like it can be stored long enough that I'll probably be dead before it goes bad (it's stored in ammo cans, in a cool dark closet).

I'd like to get my P229's slide cut for a Trijicon RMR or other small RDS. Just not sure who to contact to have the work done. Anyone know of a reliable place that does this sorta work? I know I can search but was wondering if anyone here had some experience or knowledge first-hand.

ATEi is the gold standard for rmr slide milling and they do P229’s.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've emailed two places recently, asking for more info on their pistol slide milling and no response from either. Wtf people? Answer your f'ing email. Got the RMR on order though!

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
That’s the gun industry, a lot of shops and gunsmiths have horrible communication. Once I find someone good I’ll pay basically whatever they ask for the benefit of dealing with someone I know isn’t a flake.

Reactions: clamum

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Well I'm gonna go with SAS Tactical for the slide milling rather than ATEi. Well, no response from them, oh well. I sent a Facebook message this evening to SAS and the dude replied like 15 minutes later! On their contact page he even said it could take a few days for him to answer emails so I went the FB route.

I wanted to ask him about my slide because on their site he has pictures of slides that won't work with the milling because there's cutouts in them. My 229 slide has a similar cutout in it but it's only a couple millimeters maybe, not as much as the ones in his pics. And thankfully he said mine was fine. WOOT.

Only thing I gotta decide now is if I want the higher (suppressor height) sights for co-witness with the RMR I have on order. I was going to get them at first but then stopped. I actually don't think I want them; I think they'd interfere too much with just having a clean red dot sight picture. If for some reason that RMR went down I think I could get away with point shooting in an emergency (something I'll practice more anyway).

So I think I'm gonna put in the order tonight and get it shipped to him tomorrow. Gonna have the slide refinished in multicam Cerakote. Can't frickin wait!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
F it boys I just ordered the slide milling without the suppressor height sights. I figure I can always get that done if I really want them, even if they'd have to put the rear sight in front of the RMR cause there's no room. That's assuming if the rear sight does have to be moved and I can't just install the sights myself.

I am so looking forward to having an RMR on that thing. Sucks that the wait time is 8-12 weeks but oh well, I should be getting it back when the weather is turning warmer and visiting the range doesn't suck.

Nov 20, 2009
Good POV video of an optic on a 226

I guess it's not quite as in-the-way as I thought it would be, but I'm still not sure I'd like it. Argh I dunno
While there was a little unesainess in his holding it was a lot better than I could do at my current age. I could not just wait and fire like he was doing and instead used my tried and true alternate method of shooting which is predictive motion control--in which I predict when my waving hand will align with the target (which works for me).

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
giphy.gif

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
While there was a little unesainess in his holding it was a lot better than I could do at my current age. I could not just wait and fire like he was doing and instead used my tried and true alternate method of shooting which is predictive motion control--in which I predict when my waving hand will align with the target (which works for me).

So you don't so much aim as just point in the general area and hope for the best?

Nov 20, 2009
All I am saying is that even without my prescription glasses on I can hit a target moving at 20-40 yards by motion of bringing the sites to the target in a sweeping motion than trying to hold steady. Now, if the target isn't moving then like the T-rex I'm not a good shot.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
So just today I've decided I'd like to SBR my existing 16" AR. I'm looking at maybe getting an 11.5" upper from Primary Arms site. I've done some reading but am not 100% clear on the process. Here's what I understand it to be, for someone in my shoes (wanting to SBR an existing legal rifle):

1.) Fill out BATFE Form 1 with relevant info (also I'm using my Trust) and pay for stamp
2.) Wait until paperwork approved and stamp is received
3.) Order 11.5" upper from website
4.) Put upper on my lower.
5.) Win

Is that correct? If not I'd love to hear others' process to do this.

Btw don't suggest I just get a brace to make it a pistol. Not interested. I have a 300 BLK pistol that I built and it's great but I'm not interested in that for this particular case.

Edit: So according to here, you don't need to engrave unless you're actually manufacturing the thing: https://www.guntrustguru.com/what-is-the-engraving-requirement-for-nfa-firearms.html. It's so dumb you have to research so much to get the right info. Well at least these laws are keeping us safe!

Last edited:

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Btw don't suggest I just get a brace to make it a pistol. Not interested. I have a 300 BLK pistol that I built and it's great but I'm not interested in that for this particular case.

Not suggesting you do this instead of SBR. One benefit to the pistol though is if you want to take it across state lines. :D From my understanding, you've got it correct. Any particular reason for the upper you're looking at?

Got this today. Usually go with Geissele and have regretted the times I've strayed. Hopefully this one lives up to the hype as far as quality per dollar. :D

i-HrNdqQ7-X2.jpg

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Not suggesting you do this instead of SBR. One benefit to the pistol though is if you want to take it across state lines. :D From my understanding, you've got it correct. Any particular reason for the upper you're looking at?

Got this today. Usually go with Geissele and have regretted the times I've strayed. Hopefully this one lives up to the hype as far as quality per dollar. :D

i-HrNdqQ7-X2.jpg
I've always heard good things about Geissele actually. I think my bro might have one in his AR and he likes it. But I have no experience with them (I might've shot his AR once with it in, can't remember).

Yeah, there is the State lines advantage to the pistol route. I'm not too worried about that though. It would be a rare case for me to do that; the only reason being that I'd be taking it to an out-of-state training class which case I'd maybe just take the 300 BLK pistol if it was going to be a problem with the SBR.

No particular reason for the upper I was looking at. I think around a 10.5" - 11" would be ideal for me. I think I heard John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society said something like that, or he enjoys that length, and I figure the guy knows a thing or two about shooting. Plus at 10.5" - 11" range you don't lose a ton of the potential speed/power of the 223/556 round. You can definitely shoot out to hundreds of yards at that barrel length and make hits.