YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 516 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Thank you. It shoots even better than it looks, I am looking forward to taking it out again here in a day or two to get it broken in some more.

So can I ask... do you have kids? I am envious of your gun collection. If my wife knew how many guns I actually owned... she would freak.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
So can I ask... do you have kids? I am envious of your gun collection. If my wife knew how many guns I actually owned... she would freak.

Yes, I have a 3 year old son and another boy on the way, due in December. My son already has his own blue savage rascal, for when he is old enough to go shooting. Going to be starting them young, like I was.

My wife is also a shooter, which is nice. She recently built her own AR also, a nice keymod setup. She has gotten much more into shooting now that we have Suppressors to use.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Interesting read about the testing done to select the FBI's new 9mm pistols.

Sig was eliminated from the 3rd round of testing due to malfunctions. Interesting, because the specs they listed look like they were written specifically for the Sig P320. S&W's showing mirrors what I've been hearing about them really getting their act together.

Curious what Glock had tested, the specs called for no finger grooves, so they either built a new finger groove less frame, or dug up the molds for gen 1 or 2 frames.

Sig Sauer also contends that ATF placed too great an emphasis upon reliability in determining which offers should continue to phase III. In this regard, Sig Sauer argues that reliability was only one of a number of elements to be considered in the live-fire assessment, and notes that reliability was not identified as having any more importance than the other elements.[11] We disagree.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I've been going back and forth between a CZ SP01 or Sig P226 the past couple of days.. but finding an off roster P226 (f- that LCI and magazine safety BS) isn't that easy here.. :( I'd like to to shoot the Sig to see if I like it before buying..

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I've been going back and forth between a CZ SP01 or Sig P226 the past couple of days.. but finding an off roster P226 (f- that LCI and magazine safety BS) isn't that easy here.. :( I'd like to to shoot the Sig to see if I like it before buying..

Not trolling you, I promise, but why bother, I'd bet money your elected officials will want them confiscated from you within 5-10 years. :(

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Not trolling you, I promise, but why bother, I'd bet money your elected officials will want them confiscated from you within 5-10 years. :(

They already want them confiscated. It'll just take 5-10 years for the legislation to slowly eat away at everything else before they actually get to it. It is so easy when our law enforcement unions sell us out for exemptions for their members.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Interesting read about the testing done to select the FBI's new 9mm pistols.

Sig was eliminated from the 3rd round of testing due to malfunctions. Interesting, because the specs they listed look like they were written specifically for the Sig P320. S&W's showing mirrors what I've been hearing about them really getting their act together.

Curious what Glock had tested, the specs called for no finger grooves, so they either built a new finger groove less frame, or dug up the molds for gen 1 or 2 frames.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

The date on that document is 2010. The P320 was introduced in 2014. I don't this article has anything to do with the P320.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004

Such BS throughout that article. It's irritating how often the media gets away with throwing around the term "assault rifle" haphazardly. Technically, that term can be used to describe any weapon or tool used to attack someone.

Then they refer to rifles patterned after the AR-15 "weapons of war." BS. When governments send soldiers to war they are equipped with modern rifles capable of firing in fully automatic mode. The AR-15 and rifles patterned after it that are sold to the general public are neutered and can only fire in semi-automatic mode.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Does anyone here have a suppressor owned through a trust in Michigan (or Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Missouri, or North Dakota)? I'm wondering about the requirement to register the trust in those states. At least in Michigan, and maybe the others, there isn't really a penalty if you don't. But it seems like it would be a good idea to dot all the Is and cross all the Ts when dealing with this sort of thing.

So has anyone with an NFA trust in those states registered a trust? If so, were you able to just email a copy of the trust registration to the court?

From what I understand, for me it would be the County Circuit Court that I'd have to go to, and due to work and their location and hours, that would be a big pain in the ass.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Newest build:
4c3ad45f-d236-4252-84fd-c9dfdf51dc1c_zpstznwocjk.jpg

Two stamp gun.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

Best part is that I paid nowhere near MSRP for all the parts. There have been some insane clearance deals in the past two years on top quality gear.

Upper (~$528):
DD lightweight CHF (.625 FSB) barrel - $120
DD free float quad rail with FSP cutout - $130
Silencerco ASR mount muzzle brake - $62
Carbine length gas tube - $9
Aero precision assembled upper - $60
PSA premium HPT/MPI auto BCG - $70
BCM mod 4 charging handle - $37
Flip-up rear sight (same as old USGI, I forget the make) - $40

Optics:
TA31RM04 ACOG + RMR combo - $740ish clearance

Suppressor:
Specwar 7.62 - $800ish after tax stamp

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
Does anyone here have a Beretta PX4 Storm compact or subcompact? I currently carry an SP101 in an OWB holster, but I am looking to trade it for a compact 9mm, and I like alot of the features of the PX4.

If you have one of those, what has been your experience carrying it, and how is its reliability with various types of ammo?

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Does anyone here have a Beretta PX4 Storm compact or subcompact? I currently carry an SP101 in an OWB holster, but I am looking to trade it for a compact 9mm, and I like alot of the features of the PX4.

If you have one of those, what has been your experience carrying it, and how is its reliability with various types of ammo?

I have a PX4 compact in 9mm. I like it well enough, it's not my carry gun as it's still a bit large. I haven't really played with the subcompact model, which is much smaller than the compact. I ended up going with the Nano, as it has a much much smaller footprint and in AZ in the summer, whatever you're carrying concealed needs to be really small. Otherwise you're either easy to figure out who's carrying, or you're that freak wearing a too clothes for the weather.

The recoil is pretty standard for a 9mm. It doesn't have big enough grips for my hands, which are large though so YMMV. I'm also not a fan of the default sights mine came with. It's three white dots, which when I line them up end up being a bit low when shooting. I ended up replacing them as it also kept happening when other people shot it.. again YMMV as one guy fired it without issues. I also really dislike the safety on it. It goes up to fire, which coming from shooting a lot of 1911s it's backwards. Drove me nuts until I came to grips with it.

Ammo wise, it ate everything I threw at it except for some reloads I bought. Even then I think it had more to do with I hadn't cleaned it and had fired a lot of rounds that day vs it having an issue with the loads. YMMV as with everything.. some reloads are good, some are complete shit.

As it stands now, it mostly sits in the safe next to my bed. (link) I don't fire it much anymore, which really is more about the fact I have so many guns now, something's not going to get fired that much. I bought it vs the full size because of a sale at the time made it $150 cheaper than the full size. If I had to do it over again though, I'd get the full sized one. There's really not much point to the middle of the road compact size unless you've smaller hands. The one friend of mine that loves it and borrows it to go do gun classes (his wife won't allow him to have a gun in the house do to some trauma she had when she was younger involving an old psycho room mate) has smaller hands so it fits him very well. If you've small hands and are looking for a conceal gun, I'd still say give a hard look at the Nano.

Hope that helps out somehow

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010

I don't imagine there would be any issues with ammo.

While I don't carry a Px4, it was under consideration when I wanted something smaller than my SIG Pro. I previously liked the feel of both the Px4 compact and its Beretta 8000/Cougar precursor and wouldn't mind having either, but weren't the size I wanted at the time. The thing is all of the Px4 models all have the same frame width (1.42"), which I found makes the subcompact really chunky for its size. Ultimately I narrowed down to the compact models of the XDm and M&P, and chose the M&P9c.

If you've already handled one and are okay with how it feels, it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Alright guys.. Im building my first AR and waiting on my handguard to finish up installing my barrel. Anything I need to look out for while doing this?

Also it's a stainless 16" barrel and I bought a stainless thread protector till I figure out what I'm going to with the new laws in CA. Should I just put a drop of thread lock and put it hand tight?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Alright guys.. Im building my first AR and waiting on my handguard to finish up installing my barrel. Anything I need to look out for while doing this?

Also it's a stainless 16" barrel and I bought a stainless thread protector till I figure out what I'm going to with the new laws in CA. Should I just put a drop of thread lock and put it hand tight?

If it doesn't have wrench flats you'll just have to hand tighten and make sure it's nice and snug until you figure out what muzzle device to use. Tip #1 is make sure you have proper roll pin punches and pin holders. It makes jobs like installing low profile gas blocks much easier... Tip #2 use moly grease/Aeroshell MS-22/anti-seize or similar on the receiver threads before putting on barrel nut. If you ever want to swap out handguards in the future, at least...

Also... if you use a suppressor, make sure your handguard gives you enough clearance to mount it. I made that idiot mistake on my 300 BLK build so now I need to buy a different handguard (it's too long and the ID of the rail is too small for my suppressor).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Best part is that I paid nowhere near MSRP for all the parts. There have been some insane clearance deals in the past two years on top quality gear.

Upper (~$528):
DD lightweight CHF (.625 FSB) barrel - $120
DD free float quad rail with FSP cutout - $130
Silencerco ASR mount muzzle brake - $62
Carbine length gas tube - $9
Aero precision assembled upper - $60
PSA premium HPT/MPI auto BCG - $70
BCM mod 4 charging handle - $37
Flip-up rear sight (same as old USGI, I forget the make) - $40

Optics:
TA31RM04 ACOG + RMR combo - $740ish clearance

Suppressor:
Specwar 7.62 - $800ish after tax stamp

Where did you get the SilencerCo ASR Muzzle Brake for $62? They're normally $92. Just a good sale at some point?

I'm considering getting ASR muzzle devices for my 5.56 and 300 BLK ARs in order to use their MAAD mount. Either those or YHM devices (and MAAD mount), but I'm leaning towards the latter cause the YHM devices are cheaper.