YAGT: OMG I love guns

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I carry with one in the chamber. When I first started carrying, I didn't - I felt like it was unsafe. After several months, as I started to get more accustomed to carrying, I started carrying with OIC.

The best argument that I've heard for carrying OIC is the fact that you're more likely to have a malfunction while trying to rack the slide to chamber a round while under stress. With OIC, you just need to turn off the safety (if present), and pull the trigger. In addition, how do you plan to rack the slide if you're already using your weak hand to protect yourself from an attacker? Keep in mind that "an attacker" could include a vicious animal going for your throat, for example. Again, do what YOU are comfortable with, not what other people tell you, and do whatever is the safest for you. When I carry, safety is my #1 priority, with concealability and ease of reach / use coming after that.

In regards to holsters, I tried a ton of cheap nylon holsters first. They will do in a pinch, but they're generally junk. After that, I bought a few mid-range leather holsters (like this one from Galco). It was a huge step up, but I still had trouble with the holster being too bulky, not concealing well enough, or not staying clipped when I removed the pistol. Finally I bought a leather / kydex IWB holster from Shepherd Leather... wow, what a difference. It's ten-fold more comfortable, concealable, and it stays clipped to my pants. Carrying went from being a major chore to being something that I didn't notice within 20 minutes of clipping it on.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got a 92FS Compact L. Bought a green laser to put on it, but the rails are slightly too big, it wont go on.
It does however fit perfectly on my Glock.

So I guess I will be carrying my Glock around instead of the Beretta. Holds more bullets anyways.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
For anyone needing .380 acp.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23950

Brass cased FMJ for $13.99 a box is as cheap as it gets right now. No tax, and only $6.95 shipping no matter the order size. So ordering 1 box is stupid on price. Ordering 10+ is the cheapest you are going to find. A case is 20 which is what I ordered. Ends up $286.75 shipped which is ~$0.29 cents a round. Cheapest Academy is selling .380 ACP is their monarch brand, if you can find it in stock, at $16.99 for a box of 50. Which here is $18.37 after tax and ends up being $0.37 cents a round.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

Brass cased FMJ for $13.99 a box is as cheap as it gets right now. No tax, and only $6.95 shipping no matter the order size. So ordering 1 box is stupid on price. Ordering 10+ is the cheapest you are going to find. A case is 20 which is what I ordered. Ends up $286.75 shipped which is ~$0.29 cents a round. Cheapest Academy is selling .380 ACP is their monarch brand, if you can find it in stock, at $16.99 for a box of 50. Which here is $18.37 after tax and ends up being $0.37 cents a round.

They seem to have pretty good prices on 7.62x54R surplus as well, including lead core rounds if your range won't let you use the steel core surplus.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Hey guys I was jw... My next purchase is going to be a compact .45 for carry once the weather cools down after summer. What are some good choices for a compact .45 besides the Kimbers, P220R and the M&P45c?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Hey guys I was jw... My next purchase is going to be a compact .45 for carry once the weather cools down after summer. What are some good choices for a compact .45 besides the Kimbers, P220R and the M&P45c?

I really like the M&P45c, but I when I got my compact glock I went with the Glock 30 SF instead. Both are great guns, but I just like the feel of the Slim Frame glock a tad better.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Very excited! Just picked up my HK USP Tactical .45! Can't wait to try it out at the range this weekend. Now I just gotta find some ammo. :(

Next on my list, an AAC Ti-Rant (should hopefully put an order for it next week). After that I'll just focus on picking up extra mags and continue to hunt down some ammo. :|

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Shit, thats a better deal than BEFORE the gun hysteria.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
so how much have you dropped on firearms total in the ~last month? seems like every other day you're picking up a new one :D

Something like that :) About $12K is what I said before. If it's not toys is the ammo for the toys. About $1K this week in ammo alone.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
The Springfield XDm .45 3.8" is really nice too.

Ah yes just checked it out online. Very nice. I am heading to the gun store tonight to grab something, I will see if they have one. Probably not b/c this dealer blows, but it would be nice to hold.

For my hand type, I prefer Sig over anything else, but I got the M&P9 because it was only $450 (barely used from a friend). From the looks of the picture though, it does look very comfortable, not some lame brick like the glock 19 I shot a few months ago. Yucko.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Just scored a used Gen3 Glock 22 for $400. Now to track down some 40S&W ammo.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007

Depends on how compact you want. For uber compact the Springfield XDS. Then probably the Glock 36 or 1911 variant but the 1911 can be finicky in the 3" barrels. Then you move to double stacks with a lot of options with Glock, M&P's etc. The Sig 220 series is very nice as well with a couple different size options.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Just scored a used Gen3 Glock 22 for $400. Now to track down some 40S&W ammo.

If you check out grafs.com (linked above for .380), they had some Hornady Z-Max .40 S&W in stock. Yeah, it's silly ammo, but it's hollow point, and everything I've read about it, it shoots just as good as anything else out there.

Plus, after you shoot someone with it, you can tell the cops the same excuse that Woody Harrelson used, when he smacked a paparazzi in the airport. "I thought he was a zombie!!" :sneaky:

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
If you check out grafs.com (linked above for .380), they had some Hornady Z-Max .40 S&W in stock. Yeah, it's silly ammo, but it's hollow point, and everything I've read about it, it shoots just as good as anything else out there.

Plus, after you shoot someone with it, you can tell the cops the same excuse that Woody Harrelson used, when he smacked a paparazzi in the airport. "I thought he was a zombie!!" :sneaky:

The Zombie stuff is the same thing as Critical Defense, decent ammo.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Anyone know where I can get factory new HK magazines, specifically for a USP 45? I understand they may not be in stock, but I jut need a reputable store that carries them. I've looked but haven't really found anything.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I was able to score some more pistol primers today, in trade for some of my hoarde of rifle primers.

I also got a box of brand new 20rd AR mags. I think I am going to put some of them up for sale on a gun board here soon.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Anyone know where I can get factory new HK magazines, specifically for a USP 45? I understand they may not be in stock, but I jut need a reputable store that carries them. I've looked but haven't really found anything.

I got all of my USP45 tactical mags from CDNN Investments.