YAGT: My Girlfriend might be pregnant...

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
Sucks to be you. You gambled with the unprotected sex, you lost.

Best thing, really, would be to give the kid up for adoption as soon as she has it. That way parents who really do want a kid and are better equiped to care for it than you are can get their shot at things. There is also the potential for less emotional tramua as your GF will not have to live with the fact that her first baby is dead at her own behest. The 9 months of pregnancy will do wonders for teaching the both of you to use protection the next time as well.

People always talk about responsiblity for actions and taking it, here. What they always forget is sometimes our actions have unpleasent consequences and the "quick fix" isn't always the best solution.

-- Jack

Dad: "Son, masturbating will make you go blind."
Son: "Dad, I'm over here
-- Anandtech.com

imported_Papi

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
Originally posted by: TravisT
Originally posted by: yayo
I feel the flames coming this way.

They are hot. Oh so hot!

Sorry, i'm trying to hold myself back. Unfortunately abortion is a very touchy subject with me as I know that ANYONE can take care of their kids and that killing them (AKA Abortion) should not be an option if you accidentally got pregnant. If all else fails, give the child up to adoption.

Do you know the stages of pregnancy?
Do you know what happens when one has an abortion?

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Originally posted by: cashman

They are hot. Oh so hot!

Sorry, i'm trying to hold myself back. Unfortunately abortion is a very touchy subject with me as I know that ANYONE can take care of their kids and that killing them (AKA Abortion) should not be an option if you accidentally got pregnant. If all else fails, give the child up to adoption.

But what if you have an abortion before it even becomes/looks like a child? Like have it a month in the pregnancy? Sometimes it's best for parents to do this if they have no money or no way of supporting them.

It really makes no difference to me if the baby looks like a child or not, it still is one regardless. Not trying to flame you on that one, just my point of view on it.

As far as parents doing it because they can't support them is bullcrap. Yes, parents may have to sacrifice a few things. I was 17, had no job, played basketball in high school.... ended up getting a minimum wage job and with very little help was able to support my child.

If I can do it while in school, surely someone who is out of school would be able to do it. And it may be hard if your in school, but its not unrealistic, BECAUSE I DID IT.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Jennie
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Be a man and take responsibility for your actions. Abortion is NOT a choice. You both made the choice when you decided to have sex. My best friend became a father about 2.5 weeks ago. He went through lots of this. Abortion is killing an innocent person. It doesn't matter how you look at it or from what angle. People who have abortions should be jailed for murder.

abortion is removing an unwanted lump of mass, nothing more.

Can't you find something more worthwhile to do than imposing your "i am mr right, i am a man so i know what it is like for a pregnant woman" BS on others?

People who spew this bs should be put in mental institutions, throw away the key.

I don't agree on an abortion being just "removing an unwanted lump of mass, nothing more" but yeah, who can tell you "Abortion is NOT a choice"? How about the choice of not listening to your dumb ass?

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002

Well, i'm no woman but my current wife was pregnant when I was younger, and yes, I do know a considerable amount about the stages of pregnancy.

I have never witnessed this first hand, I do know some things about it. If you are researching when a baby actually becomes a baby, i don't care. When you have sex and the sperm enters the egg, I consider it a baby.

Rilescat

Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ed21x
We should all start pitching in now. ATOT can take turns raising the baby =)

Yes.....the kid should grow up multilingual. English, Java, RPG, C++, etc....

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Be a man and take responsibility for your actions. Abortion is NOT a choice. You both made the choice when you decided to have sex. My best friend became a father about 2.5 weeks ago. He went through lots of this. Abortion is killing an innocent person. It doesn't matter how you look at it or from what angle. People who have abortions should be jailed for murder.

Can't you find something more worthwhile to do than imposing your "i am mr right, i am a man so i know what it is like for a pregnant woman" BS on others?

People who spew this bs should be put in mental institutions, throw away the key.

Hey...we have a new winner in the Most Callous Poster category.

rolleye.gif

Jennie

Banned
Sep 24, 2003

So in other words your not bothered by knowing you killed two of your own kids?

Exactly, i MURDERED THEM. It gave me great pleasure MURDERING them.

Until you are in this situation where YOU choose if you are going to have an abortion or not, i suggest you just grow up and shut up.

imported_Papi

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
Originally posted by: cashman

They are hot. Oh so hot!

But what if you have an abortion before it even becomes/looks like a child? Like have it a month in the pregnancy? Sometimes it's best for parents to do this if they have no money or no way of supporting them.

It really makes no difference to me if the baby looks like a child or not, it still is one regardless. Not trying to flame you on that one, just my point of view on it.

As far as parents doing it because they can't support them is bullcrap. Yes, parents may have to sacrifice a few things. I was 17, had no job, played basketball in high school.... ended up getting a minimum wage job and with very little help was able to support my child.

If I can do it while in school, surely someone who is out of school would be able to do it. And it may be hard if your in school, but its not unrealistic, BECAUSE I DID IT.
I whole heartedly agree with the second half of your statement. I've also been there. However, embryo's aren't children. They are cells... matter... what you would not do is your prerogative.

I'll say what I always say regarding abortion. It's no one business but the person having one or contemplating having one. Everyone else would mind their own goddamn business. Including myself.

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Did you chart it out on the calendar? You can figure out the period in which she was most fertile. Maybe the supposed conception date happened on a date that she was not that fertile. If it was a week before her projected Period, then your chances are less than, say, it being 2 weeks after her last Period.

imported_Papi

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002

Well, i'm no woman but my current wife was pregnant when I was younger, and yes, I do know a considerable amount about the stages of pregnancy.

I have never witnessed this first hand, I do know some things about it. If you are researching when a baby actually becomes a baby, i don't care. When you have sex and the sperm enters the egg, I consider it a baby.
Well, you are wrong. that's just your prerogative. It's not how it actually, scientifically is.

Fvck Im bored today.

Jennie

Banned
Sep 24, 2003

It is a POTENTIAL baby, but so is every sperm and every egg.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Until you are in this situation where YOU choose if you are going to have an abortion or not, i suggest you just grow up and shut up.

Taking the responsibility to have protected sex or use other forms of birth control is the acting grown up part. Having an abortion as it would be more convenient to one's life being so young is completely irresponsible. I abhor that line of thinking.

Jennie

Banned
Sep 24, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur

Hey...we have a new winner in the Most Callous Poster category.

rolleye.gif

Considering the topic, i will gladly take that title.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
I think people should take responsibility for their screw ups. Or at least try. There are to many children in group homes, and adoption agencies in the world.

Just because you have a child at 18 doesn't mean your life is over. It means starting now you are going to act and think like an adult.

If he was man enough to stick his dick in her, he's man enough to raise a child.

Prove your a man, take care of your child!

I despise these threads. It isn't until these types of threads pop up I realize just how immature most of you guys really are.

For both your sakes I hope it's just a missed period.

Amen to that. I got my 18 year old girlfriend pregnant when I was 20. I didn't whine, I didn't even consider abortion. I got a fvcking job and I did what a responsible person would do. Why is that so hard for some people to do?

imported_Papi

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002

Taking the responsibility to have protected sex or use other forms of birth control is the acting grown up part. Having an abortion as it would be more convenient to one's life being so young is completely irresponsible. I abhor that line of thinking.

Maybe her profession doesnt cover the cost. Either way, not your business.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: nan0bug
I think people should take responsibility for their screw ups. Or at least try. There are to many children in group homes, and adoption agencies in the world.

Just because you have a child at 18 doesn't mean your life is over. It means starting now you are going to act and think like an adult.

If he was man enough to stick his dick in her, he's man enough to raise a child.

I despise these threads. It isn't until these types of threads pop up I realize just how immature most of you guys really are.

Amen to that. I got my 18 year old girlfriend pregnant when I was 20. I didn't whine, I didn't even consider abortion. I got a fvcking job and I did what a responsible person would do. Why is that so hard for some people to do?

Same here. I was 20 when I got married and I had a daughter already. Now, that daughter is 16 years old, has her first real job, getting good grades in school, went thru her "first love" relationship, is about to learn how to drive, sings in Chorus in school, has plans for the future, and just lights up my life!

I shudder to think at not having been able to experience the last 16 years with her (her first tooth, word, walking, vaccination, Christmas, vacation, first day of school, etc. etc.)

:heart:

Jennie

Banned
Sep 24, 2003

Of course you do, yet you have never ever been in that situation, you never will be and until you even have the capability TO be, nothing you say can ever touch me.

I find it amusing that people are talking about murdering innocent babies, but when a women was raped it is ok to murder innocent babies.

Of course it was irresponsible of me to get pregnant, but i did get pregnant, i took care of it, i made my choice, because it is MY choice, not yours, and you can save your holier than thou attitude for someone who cares.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Same here. I was 20 when I got married and I had a daughter already. Now, that daughter is 16 years old, has her first real job, getting good grades in school, went thru her "first love" relationship, is about to learn how to drive, sings in Chorus in school, has plans for the future, and just lights up my life!

I shudder to think at not having been able to experience the last 16 years with her (her first tooth, word, walking, vaccination, Christmas, vacation, first day of school, etc. etc.)

:heart:

in your situation it worked, in other it does not. But that doesnt matter to most of you, because you believe in is the only choice.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Maybe her profession doesnt cover the cost. Either way, not your business.

The cost? $20/mo. for the pill? If one can't afford that, one certainly doesn't need to be in a relationship to the point that sex is involved with the possibility of having a child (children cost just a WEE bit more than $20/mo.) And when my tax dollars go to cover the health clinic where the abortion is performed, sure it's my business.

It should be everyone's business to foster responsible thinking and it's not just the woman's decision in the matter. The father-to-be has just as much right to decide the baby's future. Just because a woman is the one who carries the baby does not give her carte blanche to have an abortion to make her life more *convenient*.

Jennie

Banned
Sep 24, 2003

Stupidest post i read all day, YOU didn't think of abortion?

Why would you think of an abortion? You were not pregnant, were you?

I know it is hard to understand for some, but we CAN think for ourselves.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Of course you do, yet you have never ever been in that situation, you never will be and until you even have the capability TO be, nothing you say can ever touch me.

I find it amusing that people are talking about murdering innocent babies, but when a women was raped it is ok to murder innocent babies.

Of course it was irresponsible of me to get pregnant, but i did get pregnant, i took care of it, i made my choice, because it is MY choice, not yours, and you can save your holier than thou attitude for someone who cares.

I knew it....the "pregnant by rape escape clause". I'd love to see some stats on the # of abortions performed on women who became pregnant from a rape. I'd be willing to bet $100 it's < 1%. Did you even give the father any say in the matter?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

The bible says you cant ;)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Because not all people are as callous as you. The father's future is just as affected as the mother's. And, yes, many men in this world do care!