YAGT: most powerfull semi-auto pistol?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
When I saw the title I thought...

Another Yet another girl thread... he wants advice on most powerful pistol....

.... he must hate some girl...

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Mookow
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: phantom309
This is the first gun thread I've ever read where the correct response actually IS "deagle, lol". Seriously, I think the Desert Eagle is it - I don't think the Mateba shoots anything quite as powerful as the .50.

Quick googling seems to say it fires the 454 Casull. Which beats the pants of the 50 AE.
It's an automatic revolver... So why is it considered a semi-auto pistol, but the .500 Magnum is not?

Because with a normal revolver you have to work the action, ie manually get it to bring the next catridge into firing position, it is not a semi-auto.
A double-action revolver doesn't do that?

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
This is the first gun thread I've ever read where the correct response actually IS "deagle, lol". Seriously, I think the Desert Eagle is it - I don't think the Mateba shoots anything quite as powerful as the .50.

Quick googling seems to say it fires the 454 Casull. Which beats the pants of the 50 AE.
It's an automatic revolver... So why is it considered a semi-auto pistol, but the .500 Magnum is not?

Because with a normal revolver you have to work the action, ie manually get it to bring the next catridge into firing position, it is not a semi-auto.

No. You pull the trigger, and the force from that cocks the hammer and rotates the cylinder, and then you pull even harder, and it fires. The work is being supplied by you, the gun isnt automatically cycling to the next round.

Feb 24, 2001

A double action revolver cocks and brings the next round up. With the Mateba it rotates the cylinder and cocks the hammer when a round is fired. All the trigger does is fire it.

It doesn't really meet the definition of a pistol though...

Five Seven for sale

They aren't restricted to the LEO/military. Legal for civilians to own. Just legal mumbo jumbo.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: FFactory0x
Doesnt Smith and Weston make a .50 cal Magnum now

Saw a pic in a mag. It's massive. Some people use 0.770 or something for "Oh crap, I'm being charged by a lion because I'm a dipstick and I shoot majestic animals for sport".

Note: Not knocking on hunters. Just people who go on 'expeditions' to shoot fended in lions.

BuckNaked

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

A double action revolver cocks and brings the next round up. With the Mateba it rotates the cylinder and cocks the hammer when a round is fired. All the trigger does is fire it.

It doesn't really meet the definition of a pistol though...

Five Seven for sale

They aren't restricted to the LEO/military. Legal for civilians to own. Just legal mumbo jumbo.
Not entirely true... I believe FN restricts this to LE/Military sales only, but once its outside the distribiution channel, they don't have control over that anylonger... What is restricted is the ammo... The SS190 round is LE/Military only, with the only 5.7x28mm ammo being 'legal' to own is the SS192 round, as it doesn't have the steel penetrator... The ATF regulations for AP rounds can be found here. I haven't been following the Five Seven, but think its ownership by private citizens falls in a gray area within ATF regulations....

Dave