YAGT: AK-47

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SSSnail
If you get confused between gun names, maybe you shouldn't be playing with them.

what? i'm not getting gun names confused.

stfu

This is the answer I got to mquestioning them about what calibers AKs come in.

AK type weapons are traditionally 7.62x39mm and then with the advent of the AK74 and its variations, the 5.45x39mm also became a standard AK round, with the 7.62 taking a rearward role. The Soviets developed this round as their version of 5.56. It was used extensively in the Soviet/Afghan war. AK74 kits and built rifles seem to be less in quantity than its counterpart for the civilian market.

.223 AKs were marketed for the Western market mostly until some of the former combloc nations joined NATO and 5.56 became a standard round for some AKs like the Polish Beryl (you can't get this one...yet hopefully).

And 5.45 is readily available and cheaper than 7.62x39 right now, but quantities for the long haul is probably not going to be a lot. No domestic manufactures of this caliber, but Wolf will always be there. You can get 1080 rnd mil surplus spam cans for $100 and change.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
They used to make AK47 based weapon in .223 and .308. They had the same type of action but could not interchange with true or varient AK47 rifles. These were out around the big Mak90 boom in the mid 90's and are rare now. The AK74 shoots the 5.45X39.

The bad things about Wolf ammo are myths at best. A lot of the articles out there are written by fan boys of other ammo types. Wolf is easy to pick on since it is cheap in price and made in Russia. I have shot a lot of Wolf ammo and know someone who has shot over 25K+ of Wolf ammo. Both of us have never had any issues with it. It is no dirtier or worse than most ammo out there and is copper jacketed steel or lead depending on what you buy. Some ranges don't like Wolf due to the steel jacketed ammo as it can be considered a "poor man's armor piercing." No warranties are voided by Wolf ammo and I never met someone who had an issue with it. Usually the stories are "my friend's brother's step sister in law's friend had issues with it."

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I bet you're the type of tough guy that has a whole armory in your basement, including grenades. Google is a wonderful thing isn't it? That and the wealth of life experience you have, I wonder why you even post this question.

I on the other hand, just know how to squeeze the trigger, one round at a time.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

:confused:

So you're the guy that goes to the range with their dad/friend and they put the mag in and cock it for you, and put it down on the counter so you can pick it up and shoot it? :p

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
imho for an ak, the cheapest in the long run would be the 7.62x39 version. wolf works fine in the ak and sks. for plinking it is excellent.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2

So you're the guy that goes to the range with their dad/friend and they put the mag in and cock it for you, and put it down on the counter so you can pick it up and shoot it? :p

If the Marines wanted me to have a dad/friend that put in the mag for me at the range, they'd issue me one.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: pontifex
i'm not asking what brand is cheapest, i'm asking which caliber is cheapest.

for instance, 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .45ACP

which of the AK calibers is the cheapest? I've read that they come in several calibers - unless i didn't understand what i was reading (because they were talking about AKs and ARs), i saw they come in 7.62, 5.45, and .308, and .223. there might have been more, but those are the ones being talked about in the thread.

Sounds like they were talking about the AR then

They've also got 9mm ARs.... heck I've even seen an AR in 50 caliber ;)

edit: and the cheapest would be either the 9mm or the .223/5.45

my dad has a NATO issued CAR 9mm rifle. awesome looking, full auto and fun to play with. goes thru rounds way too fast tho.

what do you mean by a "NATO" issue?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I bet you're the type of tough guy that has a whole armory in your basement, including grenades. Google is a wonderful thing isn't it? That and the wealth of life experience you have, I wonder why you even post this question.

then just stfu and get out of my thread? seriously, if you have nothing to add, why the fuck do you even post?

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

If the Marines wanted me to have a dad/friend that put in the mag for me at the range, they'd issue me one.

It was a joke you retard. Notice the ":p"

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006

It was a joke you retard. Notice the ":p"

Touche!

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: pontifex
i'm not asking what brand is cheapest, i'm asking which caliber is cheapest.

for instance, 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .45ACP

which of the AK calibers is the cheapest? I've read that they come in several calibers - unless i didn't understand what i was reading (because they were talking about AKs and ARs), i saw they come in 7.62, 5.45, and .308, and .223. there might have been more, but those are the ones being talked about in the thread.

Sounds like they were talking about the AR then

They've also got 9mm ARs.... heck I've even seen an AR in 50 caliber ;)

edit: and the cheapest would be either the 9mm or the .223/5.45

don't forget ars in 22lr, 7.62x39, 6.8spc, 9mm, 10mm, 40s&w, 45ACP, 223wssm, 243wssm, 25wssm, 300whisper, 6.5grendel, 308(ar10), 50beowulf, 458socom, 357sig, 50bmg and probably other but that is all i can think of off the top of my head