YAGT: AK-47

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I was readign threads about AK-47s on another forum and asked this question there, but didn't get a response yet.

I know several people on here have them as well.

What is the cheapest AK-47 caliber ammo you can buy? Cheapest = least expensive.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I thought Wolf ammo was a big hazard though? The local gun range won't let you bring in your own ammo because they don't want Wolf rounds down range :confused:

Who buys this crap and why? :p

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: GuideBot
I thought Wolf ammo was a big hazard though? The local gun range won't let you bring in your own ammo because they don't want Wolf rounds down range :confused:

Some backstops at indoor ranges can't handle it well. Outdoor ranges with earth berms are fine.

It's cheap and works fine.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: K1052

Some backstops at indoor ranges can't handle it well. Outdoor ranges with earth berms are fine.

I'm talking pistol range with pistol ammo (no rifles allowed), it's indoor, and it's some sort of cement backstop at a rounded angle. It's been a long time since I've been there, but IIRC it had something to do with Wolf ammo mucking up the rented guns.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I've never been to a range that lets you use our own ammo on their rentals. Otherwise, whatever you used on your own was fine.

Wolf isn't liked because of the steel casing that likes to mess with the barrel rifling in handguns. I use it or whatever military surplus I can find in my Big 5 Mosin M91 7.62x54r all the time. I also use it in .223 in the Mini-14.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

I'm talking pistol range with pistol ammo (no rifles allowed), it's indoor, and it's some sort of cement backstop at a rounded angle. It's been a long time since I've been there, but IIRC it had something to do with Wolf ammo mucking up the rented guns.

older Wolf ammo was lacquer coated which could cause extraction issues in some guns

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Wolf works fine. The only drawbacks seems to be some indoor ranges which cant handle the steel cased rounds well and that the rounds tend to be a little dirtier but its not a big deal

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
A google search on Wolf ammo had hits saying that it smelled bad and fouled the barrels, taking a while to clean. Though they did say that the company made 7.62x39 well.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
besides wolf what's the next cheapest? been thinking of getting an AK for a while

Wolf is perfectly fine for AKs. Its what it was designed to shoot.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm not asking what brand is cheapest, i'm asking which caliber is cheapest.

for instance, 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .45ACP

which of the AK calibers is the cheapest? I've read that they come in several calibers - unless i didn't understand what i was reading (because they were talking about AKs and ARs), i saw they come in 7.62, 5.45, and .308, and .223. there might have been more, but those are the ones being talked about in the thread.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex

which of the AK calibers is the cheapest? I've read that they come in several calibers - unless i didn't understand what i was reading (because they were talking about AKs and ARs), i saw they come in 7.62, 5.45, and .308, and .223. there might have been more, but those are the ones being talked about in the thread.

Sounds like they were talking about the AR then

They've also got 9mm ARs.... heck I've even seen an AR in 50 caliber ;)

edit: and the cheapest would be either the 9mm or the .223/5.45

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
a real AK clone is in 7.62x39 which is pretty much the cheapest rifle round outside .22

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I thought that all AK-47's used 7.62 x 39 mm ammo. Are you sure that you weren't reading about a newer Russian gun?

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wolf ammo has a steel case and it used to be lacquer coated, which melted after the barrel heated up and kept the empty casing stuck in the barrel. Now they are still steel cased but polymer coated and they feed much, much, much better. But if you're looking at ammunition for an AK, who gives a crap? The thing was designed to use the cheapest stuff available. Says right there on the box of wolf, "Made In Russia." I think it's ok for an AK. :p

This is what the AK was designed for (an idiot I know but since he's the one putting himself in danger for my amusement, I really don't care)

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
AK's typically are 7.69x39, ak-**74**'s are 5.45x39. You can even find them in 5.56x45 and 7.62x51.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ultimatebob

I thought that all AK-47's used 7.62 x 39 mm ammo. Are you sure that you weren't reading about a newer Russian gun?

As far as I know there's only the AK-47 which is the 7.62x39 and the AK-74 which shoots a 5.45 x 39.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: lozina

Sounds like they were talking about the AR then

They've also got 9mm ARs.... heck I've even seen an AR in 50 caliber ;)

edit: and the cheapest would be either the 9mm or the .223/5.45

my dad has a NATO issued CAR 9mm rifle. awesome looking, full auto and fun to play with. goes thru rounds way too fast tho.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
I've never been to a range that lets you use our own ammo on their rentals. Otherwise, whatever you used on your own was fine.

Wolf isn't liked because of the steel casing that likes to mess with the barrel rifling in handguns. I use it or whatever military surplus I can find in my Big 5 Mosin M91 7.62x54r all the time. I also use it in .223 in the Mini-14.

heh I've only been shooting once. it was a shotgun range. we bought shells from walmart before we went and rented a gun from them and used our ammo in their gun no problem :p

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
If you get confused between gun names, maybe you shouldn't be playing with them.