YADDT: Miata / Cooper S / CR-Z / Prius

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Actually I'm back to commuting with a stick since lowered cars and expecting mothers don't work well. Still prefer the stick.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm moving. This is the back way to work.

30ddb2badca8c379d62cded33bcfbee3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Nice route. You need a bike not a cage. If a stick makes you feel young then a bike will make you embryonic.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Nice route. You need a bike not a cage. If a stick makes you feel young then a bike will make you embryonic.

Somehow during the past year, I lost my balls to ride on 2 wheels. Probably watched too many youtube motorcycle accident videos.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So you're really taking the plunge to Acton eh? Have fun with that.

yep - one of the few communities in LA zoned for what I need to do while costing less than a million bucks. Signing a 10 year lease too. This could be great or could be terrible.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
So is this property big enough to shoot on a blow stuff up? Gotta be some "extra" benefits to moving out there.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I'm actually leaning towards the mini or the CR-Z. The mini will be way more fun but the CR-Z will be way cheaper.

The Miata is just too small for me to be functional for everyday use and the Prius is soul crushing (but great on the wallet).

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
CR-Z is an alright car. I think you'll enjoy the Mini but come to regret it, and have an empty wallet to boot.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
What about a Mazda Speed 3, or a Fiesta or Focus ST?
With a road like that for a commute, I'd want something with a reasonably responsive chassis. Since the Miata is out, but the Mini is still in, I'd look at the Mini's competitors. The CR-Z is prone to be exciting to look at while it's parked outside work, but not something you look forward to drive home again.

Reactions: PeterScott

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Do you live where there is a winter? If so, that excludes the Miata. the car would be a ball from May-Oct, but everyone I know who has one stores them over the winter.

I am on my second Miata (it's my only car), and I live in Canada (and not the warm west coast).

Miatas handle great in the snow with snow tires. The reason most want to store them is to keep the corrosive winter salt from eating their baby.

I am obviously biased, thinking that looks like a great Miata road. But they aren't for everyone. After driving them for several years, IMO,the major downside of a Miata is the lack of cargo room, but if you have another car, and this one is only for commuting...

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
With a road like that for a commute, I'd want something with a reasonably responsive chassis. Since the Miata is out, but the Mini is still in, I'd look at the Mini's competitors. The CR-Z is prone to be exciting to look at while it's parked outside work, but not something you look forward to drive home again.

I feel nothing for those cars you mentioned.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Fast versions of sedan platforms are only good for going felony speeds, the basic balance & whatnot just aren't there.

Regrettably there just aren't many platforms good for driving. Maybe ae86 which is significantly dropped impreza w/ engine much better placed, or rx-8 which is a stretched miata but that's poor mileage.

All else similar, weight is what matters. Of that list, cr-z is potentially lighter than the mini.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
All else similar, weight is what matters. Of that list, cr-z is potentially lighter than the mini.

I was going to post that the CR-Z was heavier than you thought, but after a quick google, I had no idea Mini Coopers had fattened up to 3000# (for the convertible, I assume, less for the others). They weigh closer to my 95 F150 than my Insight, which is a similarly sized car.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I was going to post that the CR-Z was heavier than you thought, but after a quick google, I had no idea Mini Coopers had fattened up to 3000# (for the convertible, I assume, less for the others). They weigh closer to my 95 F150 than my Insight, which is a similarly sized car.

I only care about the r53, which is the OG Mini that's actually mini.

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
I'd advise against the Mini. A coworker has one and it has been a money pit.

Sound deadening in a Miata can be dramatically improved with a few simple tricks that includes stuffing some pillows into the trunk XD

I'd get a Miata. Test-drive an NC if you want a little more room.

A MazdaSpeed3 would be another good option IMO.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I could only make a miata work if it had a luggage rack. and i'm not sure i want to put a luggage rack on a miata.

#fwp

JCH13

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2010
If you don't have a soft top (i.e. hardtop, or go naked) there is a lot of storage space inside the cabin.

What exactly do you need to get in the car?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
If you don't have a soft top (i.e. hardtop, or go naked) there is a lot of storage space inside the cabin.

What exactly do you need to get in the car?

Our business mailbox is on the way back from my work and futurehome. I've been known to cram 10-12 amazon boxes in my Scion TC, including 24 package rolls of paper towels.

Yes I'm aware that it would still be cramped in a Mini or CR-Z, but it would certainly be better than the Miata...

I also recognize that I may have to just bite the bullet and get 2 cars if I really want to check off all my personal wants.