YACT: **UPDATE** HELL YEAH!

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
**UPDATE** 03-31-04
I was stressing all week and today I found out that one of the connectors inside the plug on the distributor was loose and it didn't connect all the way. Hence all the problems I've been having. I connected that sucker, reset the computer, and drove it like a champ. Happy for me! *gives himself a cookie* Thanks for everybody's help! *gives TWO cookies to everybody in this thread!* :)

**UPDATE** 03-29-04pm
Well, I checked the ECU LED and I recorded 4 blinks followed by 8 blinks, which leaves me to believe that it's a code 48. However, I can't seem to find ecu codes for this number. Closest I can come to think of is the feul pump, according to this guide (only lists as HONDA, no specific model), it's a LAF (lean air fuel) sensor problem. Any more help? I'm lost as to what I need to do now, or if that's even the correct code definition.

**UPDATE** 03-29-04am
Well, the car died when I was on the road today. However, I started it back up right after it died. There was no loss of power at all, and everything sounded and ran like normal. The check engine light was still on though. Like I said, EVERYTHING is still functioning like normal when the car died (except for the dying part of course). The only other difference I noticed was that the RPM needle would jump slowly between 500 and 1000 RPM when I'm in idle/neutral. Also, as mentioned before, it takes 2-3 seconds longer now to start up the car where as before it would start up after I turn the key.

I'll go to autozone and have them check the light and pull up the codes later. Just want to update and see if anybody has any ideas. Thanks again for everybody and their help! Cookies for you all!

**UPDATE** 03-27-04
Grrr!!! The check engine light stays on when I turn the car on. I checked the wires to the distributor but nothing. Car runs fine since I took it out for a spin around the block. Only other difference I noticed was that when I started the car, it takes 2-3 seconds longer for it to kick over and fully start. Before, it kicked over in about 1 second when I started it. It's been two days since I replaced the distributor and reset the computer. Anybody know what else can be wrong? I'm thinking right now it's just one of the wires to the sensor is messed up or something since I replaced the distributor. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks!

**UPDATE** 03-25-04 Couple hours later
Reset computer and runs fine now. Thanks for all the help! :)

**UPDATE AGAIN** 03-25-04
Car goes to 2.5 RPM and then drops back to 0 (or close to zero) and climbs steadily up when I apply gas. Does this when I'm switching gears and in idle. I just replaced the distributor. Only thing I can think of is that the timing is off on the distributor, but I did go to a shop and have a mechanic check it out. He says the timing is ok. Anybody know anything else that can add to this? Thanks in advance.

I should reword it. When I press on accelerator, the RPM goes up to 2.5, then falls down to zero (or close to zero) and then climbs back up (my foot still on accelerator all this time). It's kinda like a continuous loop of 2.5 to 0 to 2.5 to 0 etc...

**UPDATE** 03-22-04
The shaft inside the distributor is rubbing against the casing to make the squealing noise. I cleaned it out as much as I could with compressed air, but still squeaking. So the question now is, do I lubricate it with oil manually? I went to two different commercial sources for car parts and one said NO, other said YES. Anybody with experience know enough to help me? Thanks in advance.

**UPDATE** 03-18-04
I figured that the squeals came fromt he distributor. Seemed as though it's rubbing up against something or that the little rotor inside is not lubricated enough. I'm not sure if there's anything to clean it out. I blew some compressed air into it and cleaned it out as much as I can but still same noise. Anybody know if I can just slap on some wd-40 or something (I'm assuming no)? I'm gonna call around to see if there are cleaning supplies for distributor also. Thanks for all the help.

=========

This Friday is the first time I've heard it. I thought it were the belts, but after applying some anti-squeak belt spray, it didn't help. I checked the oil level and it's normal. The squeaks sound like the squeaks from a loose belt, but it's from inside the engine. No engine light comes one. It sounds like that all the time: any gear and in idle with motor running in my driveway. My dad says might be the valves in the engine. Anybody have any ideas?

1991 Integra RS
135k miles
Stored outside in Minnesota winters

EDIT: Car still runs fine even though it squeaks like a hundred mice.

EDIT II: I should say it SQUEALS instead of squeaks. The belts are fine. The noise is coming from the engine, I know that much. I don't think it's the pulleys either because like I said, the squeals are from the engine, not the side with the belts.

Also, I'm not sure how to record that sound since all I have would be a tape recorder and I don't have the necessary equipment to turn the tape recorded sound into a digital format.

EDIT III: I know it's not the belts. Now it seems as though there are some scraping sounds coming from the engine also. :( The sound stays the same in any mode I'm in (driving, switching ears, idling, revving, increased RPM).

The sound is coming from (from what I can tell) inside the engine, the loudest being on the side closest to the dashboard.

Imagine a rectangle as the engine, the top is the headlight direction, right is side, left is left side, and bottom is dashboard direction. I'd draw a pic, but I previewed my previous pic and it isn't formatted right. I'll get a decent drawing when I'm back at home.

EDIT IV: Welp, went to a trusted mechanic of the family and we looked at it and looks like the sounds are coming from the distributor according to him. I find that weird since the car still runs fine with no loss of power at all. He said could be a loose spring inside the distributor. Any more thoughts?

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Take it to a mechanic, leave working on cars to people who know WTF they are doing.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: v3rrv3
Might not be the belt itself but it could possibly be one of the pulleys

Which would either mean a damaged pulley or a bearing is going (no idlers in a Honda).

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Kinda hard to diagnose when all you say is "it squeaks". Make a recording at least. There are 100's of squeaks.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It might be the squeaker. Turn it off. There's usually a tab on the valve cover that you can press in. If it's popped back out, push it back in.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
You need a new flux capacitor, headlight fluid, and a discombobulator.

-Xionide

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
i forsee a new distributor assembly in your near future.

Yeah. This just occurred to me since mine started making a similar noise today. Well, I suppose it would nice if that was the problem. The alternatives don't seem very friendly...

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
try tightening your altenator belt. They loosen up on their own through time... if its loose your belt will squel no matter what, also if they belt is worn.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
What you need to do is isolate the sound if you can or at least determine what is not making the noise.
1. What side of the motor is it coming from?
2. Does it increase with engine RPM?
3. Is it louder when the car is in drive and moving or just in park and idling?

First thing is take the outside belts off and start the car. If the noise does not go away then you know it is not a belt, pulley, or a belt driven item. If it does go away then you know it is one of those items.
It also could be a Distributor bearing, timing belt adjuster, water pump, etc?.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Exactly what Marlin said is the right approach, but I've got a quicker way to eliminate the belt as a suspect. Spray soapy water on the belt while it's running, and listen for a change in the squeal. I've used belt dressing on a squeaky belt before, and it made it even worse.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Another thing to do is take a long screwdriver and put it up against the engine. Put the other end, handle, on your ear. Makes it much easier to localize sound. I know it works well for "tapping" sounds, not sure about other types.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
I know it's not the belts. Now it seems as though there are some scraping sounds coming from the engine also. :( The sound stays the same in any mode I'm in (driving, switching ears, idling, revving, increased RPM).

The sound is coming from (from what I can tell) inside the engine, the loudest being on the side closest to the dashboard.

Imagine a rectangle as the engine, the top is the headlight direction, right is side, left is left side, and bottom is dashboard direction. I'd draw a pic, but I previewed my previous pic and it isn't formatted right. I'll get a decent drawing when I'm back at home.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Welp, went to a trusted mechanic of the family and we looked at it and looks like the sounds are coming from the distributor according to him. I find that weird since the car still runs fine with no loss of power at all. He said could be a loose spring inside the distributor. Any more thoughts?

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: weirdichi
Welp, went to a trusted mechanic of the family and we looked at it and looks like the sounds are coming from the distributor according to him. I find that weird since the car still runs fine with no loss of power at all. He said could be a loose spring inside the distributor. Any more thoughts?

this could be the case, but i am alittle bit wary of this diagnosis as you said that the squeal stayed the same when you rev etc... this leads me to believe it is something that is spinning at a constant speed. without hearing it in person i can't really do anything but guess, so good luck.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
It could be a worn bearing or bushing making the noise. I think someone else mention a possible dist. problem in this thread.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Constant with engine RPM... Does the engine have an electric fan blowing over it, or is that belt-driven too?

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
**UPDATE** 03-18-04
I figured that the squeals came fromt he distributor. Seemed as though it's rubbing up against something or that the little rotor inside is not lubricated enough. I'm not sure if there's anything to clean it out. I blew some compressed air into it and cleaned it out as much as I can but still same noise. Anybody know if I can just slap on some wd-40 or something (I'm assuming no)? I'm gonna call around to see if there are cleaning supplies for distributor also. Thanks for all the help.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
If it is making noise then chances are it is a bad bearing and you need a new distributor. Hondas are VERY bad with having distributors fail. NOT a UN-Common problem.

It is so common that most parts places stock most Honda distributors. Call AutoZone, Advance, PepBoys, etc... and see how much it is, the warrenty(most have lifetime now), and if they stock it.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
i forsee a new distributor assembly in your near future.

If the distributor was full of rust dust..........Change it. They cost $$. Pick-A-Part might be an alternative.
I've change two, in the families cars in the last 5 years, along with timming belts and water pumps at the same time.