YACT: Step me through doing my own brakes

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Want to do the brake pads on my 2001 Ford Expedition Sport Trac. Step me through the process and tell me what I need to also be consious of when I'm doing it. Thanks for the help.

Zorro

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
If you need step by step instructions. PLEASE seek a real mechanic to do the work.
rolleye.gif

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA
Want to do the brake pads on my 2001 Ford Expedition Sport Trac. Step me through the process and tell me what I need to also be consious of when I'm doing it. Thanks for the help.

Drive to your Ford dealership and have them do it for you.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Zorro
If you need step by step instructions. PLEASE seek a real mechanic to do the work.
rolleye.gif

uh, so should I look over my mechanic's shoulder while he does it? Fat chance. Nothing comes naturally, if you never take the risk in doing anything then you'd never learn anything and you'd be pretty much broke.

And next time don't come and crap in my thread, ok.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth

Drive to your Ford dealership and have them do it for you.

See above.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
rolleye.gif

uh, so should I look over my mechanic's shoulder while he does it? Fat chance. Nothing comes naturally, if you never take the risk in doing anything then you'd never learn anything and you'd be pretty much broke.

Why can't you look over your mechanic's shoulder? Every time I take my car in for ANYTHING I am right there watching everything they do. I aske questions, too.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Ime
A quick Google search found this article.

Good luck!

Thank you. They make it look easy, and oh, look for those of you who think noone should try anything new, they even say it's pretty easy.

Thanks again Ime.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
rolleye.gif

Why can't you look over your mechanic's shoulder? Every time I take my car in for ANYTHING I am right there watching everything they do. I aske questions, too.

I have tried before, and generally the stock answer is "Sir, we're going to have to ask you to leave the bay while we work on your car. Insurance reasons, ya know".

But in any case, whether the info is from my mechanic or some of the knowledgeable car folks on ATOT, eventually I would do it myself, so I don't quit understand why some folks would just say "take it to a mechanic". It's like saying, never build a computer yourself, always have Dell build it for you. You gotta learn some time.

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
rolleye.gif

Great point. I learned how to set up a Linux server after I told my professor I'd set one up for his class work.

I love that kind of stress.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Ime
A quick Google search found this article.

Good luck!

Thank you. They make it look easy, and oh, look for those of you who think noone should try anything new, they even say it's pretty easy.

Thanks again Ime.

You're a braver soul than I am, spent $85 to have a mechanic do the front brakes on my wife's Acura last month.

I don't even change the oil in my own car anymore. Mainly because the apartment complex I live it doesn't let us do car repair work here. :(

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Everyone has to start somewhere, if he has interest I don't see what the problem is. How do you think the mechanic learned? He was born with it?

Here's the watered down version, I suggest getting a simple haynes/chilton manual at pepboys for your specific car for better reference. Each car is a little different and this is how I do mine.

1) parking brake up
2) loosen lug nuts slightly
3) jack up car slightly
4) loosen nuts more
5) jack up car all the way
6) take off wheel
7) remove two caliper bolts
8) remove cover to master brake cylinder
9) push in braking piston, paying attention to brake fluid levels. If brake level fluid is too high, remove some.
10) swap brake pads and shims
11) follow #1-8 in reverse

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The whole process is too complicated to "step you through it".

Do yourself a favor, and get a service manual for your vehicle. You then have a fighting chance.

Zorro

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
I was not thread crapping. But if you wanted to rebuild your whole damn car no problem. But when it comes to the cars braking ability please get a PRO to do it. Its not that expensive and the life you save might be mine:)

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Step 1: go to car parts store and get your car repair manual and brakes pads
Step 2: follow all the directions in the repair manual on how to change your brake pads.
Step 3: cross your fingers and point your car away from me when testing.

Just kkiddin on that last part.

But seriously I've been doing my own brakes for years with no problems. Also the rear drum brakes which are much harder to do than the front discs. Note: some cars have all 4 disc. No such luck with mine.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
OS: parking brake up means the pedal type right :) if you have a lever type good luck getting the caliper off...

Brakes are easy, esp discs.

What I think is hilarious is everyone here saying "Don't risk yo' life man! Pay $60/hr for a grease monkey to work on your car" heh.

About everytime I go to a 'pro' because I have no time myself, I have to redo something...either a cover is 'thrown away' or paint is scratched up, etc. Not to mention absolutely no mechanic I have gone to really torques anything esp wheels and on my car that leads to brake rotor warp....

However, to work on your car yourself you will need good manuals, a combination of Haynes/Chiltons at the very least and preferably the original shop manuals (usually available on ebay in pirated CD versions, microfilm, or the actual binders) and a set of tools complete for the job you are doing...specialty tools can usually be rented (from AutoZones for free w/ refundable deposit).

When I converted to rear discs from drums the whole job including replacing all rotors, all 'soft' lines, bleeding and 4 sets of pads took 4hours w/ me and a partner even having to deal with a bleeder that broke off when we were removing it :(. If you buy speed bleeders you can do it by yourself easy too (I have them, but two people can work faster).

OS's instructions were correct though depending on what type of Ebrake you have (you want it released).

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rolleye.gif

what's so wrong about watching the mechanic do the work? i watched mine do the balljoints, centre link and tranny flush and alignment for a good few hours on my truck. had coffee breaks too.

grillmasterP

Apr 2, 2000
Step 1: Go to auto parts store.
Step 2: Buy a Hayne's manual, *decent sized ( 6-8 inch) C-clamp brake pads, brake cleaner, (also a little tube/packet of caliper & anti squeal grease.
Step 3: Read, re-read, & follow instructions as presented in the Hayne's manual

*I have found this the best tool to use to squeeze the pistons in. Brake pad separators are available, however the ones I have come across are designed for autos (single piston calipers) and are too small for larger SUV's/Trucks with larger calipers or dual piston setups). Also, a C-clamp will have other uses.

I am guessing but siince you probably won't need to turn your rotors (unless you've racked up crazy miles or let your pads really wear down) you might want to deglaze your rotors - basically scuff/sand them down a little.

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
I tend to walk away when people look over my shoulder. BTW how can you DIYers tell how thin your rotors are? Can you tell whether or not they need to be turned? Are you gonna break the pads in properly so they don't squeal or are you just gonna go out and red light race and not stop properly?

I have seen customers get doused with oil and other types of fluids cuz they wanted to "watch". If you think we are just "grease monkeys" come on and try and work in the automotive repair field. You will come to find out it isn't as easy as you think it is. Do you have any idea what new technologies are being installed on cars nowadays or in the future? Did you know that 2002 Caddies come with 22 onboard computers? Do you know about CAN? What about 42 volt electrical systems?

For the guy with the Expedition, what will you do when the air ride suspension doesn't reinflate? Nice to have an SUV that has that expensive to replace hardware. Take it to a mechanic is the proper way to have work done. DIYers don't have what is needed to fix todays vehicles.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Go buy the book.

Ford AMnt. Manuals used to be about 50 bucks IIRC.

Ford Mant Manuals rock and will tell you what size of screwdriver to use.:p

If you can't find one pick-up a chilton (children's) manual. For simple jobs they are pretty good. If you are looking to get into doing your own repairs then a manual is almost required if you haven't done car work in the past.

I have been working on cars doing minor stuff for almost 15 years and I still like to have a book to see what all is intailed before I start.

Also if you have to deal with thing like antilock Brake bleeder valves that should be in the book.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight77
I tend to walk away when people look over my shoulder. BTW how can you DIYers tell how thin your rotors are? Can you tell whether or not they need to be turned? Are you gonna break the pads in properly so they don't squeal or are you just gonna go out and red light race and not stop properly?

I have seen customers get doused with oil and other types of fluids cuz they wanted to "watch". If you think we are just "grease monkeys" come on and try and work in the automotive repair field. You will come to find out it isn't as easy as you think it is. Do you have any idea what new technologies are being installed on cars nowadays or in the future? Did you know that 2002 Caddies come with 22 onboard computers? Do you know about CAN? What about 42 volt electrical systems?

For the guy with the Expedition, what will you do when the air ride suspension doesn't reinflate? Nice to have an SUV that has that expensive to replace hardware. Take it to a mechanic is the proper way to have work done. DIYers don't have what is needed to fix todays vehicles.
you have issues.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
first off, drum or disc? figure that out first

remove brake fluid cap so you can open the pistons if disc, the rest i couldd do but not describe.

MIKE (17 and already can do his own brakes, and many other things)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight77

Hmmmm, probably the same you would, a set of calipers would tell how 'thick' they are and the rotor/manual tell you the minimum. I stopped having rotors turned myself as they are pretty cheap (about twice the price of turning for standard ones....sometimes the same price). I have yet to hear of a brake shop breaking in pads for the customer, I think they should ...

I know a lot about car systems and those that are going to be released, the shop manuals from the factory will tell you just about every diagnostic procedure step by step and the symptoms that cause certain problems...then you just go through the measurements/tests. For many things you will need something better than a code reader, however there are applications for laptops and palm computers that are pretty extensive. A multimeter is important in electrical work.

For the most part all you have to worry about is the cars you own...if it doesn't have a 42V system or HID's or whatever, don't concern yourself with it.

Almost all tools are rentable/even the very expensive ones. You have to have half a brain in your head and be semi-mechanically inclined, but so far there hasn't been one project: Home, Computer, Car that I have not been able to tackle with the right tools and books. There are certain things I leave to a mechanic (I would not call even 30% of the 'pros') like my wheel balancing and tire mounting...but even that you can do it yourself just like the old days :) sure it takes a lot longer and you may have to play with it a couple times to get it right...but doable without a computer controlled balancer. Alignments are another thing that's just easier to bring in especially when they have to redo it when it's not right (which it never is it seems...but most can't tell anything about their cars and think things are just the way they are).

The way I look at it is most mechanics were the failures in high school...some were great wrench turners, don't get me wrong...but most of them it was the only road left to go into. Being certified does not make one a good mechanic.

WhiteKnight77

Mar 10, 2003
I guess you take your car to Auto Zone when the Check Engine/Service Engine Soon light is on don't ya? Their little code reader does just that. Buy the part you believe will fix the car then come to us when you really want the problem fixed becuase that $100 or more part didn't take care of the problem. Mechanics know this and books, code readers, or your buddy down the street who "works" on cars and has a killer tool box full of tools doesn't.

Your argument on mechanics being failures in high school doesn't hold water. There are many mechanics with college degrees, besides the certifications you mention. They also spend more money going to classes to learn all these new technologies than joe blow BS degree, white collar worker that sits in an office all day does to keep current in his job. A good drivablity mechanic can earn upwards of $100,000 a year. Not bad in my opinion. Most repairs come from knowledge and not a manual. Repair manuals are good, but not all knowing. They are good for specs and basic maintence items, but not for really fixing something.

Trying to fix your car nowadays is similar to trying to do surgery on yourself.