YACT: Spark plugs with oil on them

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I changed my spark plugs the other day and there was oil on 2 them. The mechanic said that the gasket seal was probably broken so oil is sipping in. I'm planning to get this fix next week. What are the long term issues with problems like this? If I hadn't changed spark plugs I would have never known. The car runs normal. Is it hard/expensive to get it fixed?

EDIT: 96 Maxima with 90K miles

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
i actually just did the same thign, with the same problem. i was told it does not effect anything. atleast not a small amount of oil

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mrCide
i actually just did the same thign, with the same problem. i was told it does not effect anything. atleast not a small amount of oil

One spark plug didn't have much oil. The other one had much more. I guess I'll just fix it now. Sooner or later I will have to fix it, so might as well do it now before it gets worse.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
The effects would probably just be increased oil consumption/slight loss of power right now, but it would only get worse with time.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
it's over

the only solution is to push your car off the side of a cliff

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: DannyBoy
An oil leak is nothing serious at all.

Inside the cylindar?? Did you read his symptoms? :confused:

Is the plug *soaked* with oil? If so, could be a valve guide/seal or a bad headgasket issue

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Head gasket? I assume thats what you mean with cracked gasket. That shouldnt put oil in the combustion chamber. Now rings, thats another story. Thats also a helluva lot harder to fix then a gasket.
Was it oil or carbon buildup?

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Head gasket? I assume thats what you mean with cracked gasket. That shouldnt put oil in the combustion chamber. Now rings, thats another story. Thats also a helluva lot harder to fix then a gasket.

It was oil. One of the spark plugs was soaked. Almost dripping oil when we first took it out.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Is it leaking oil down the plug wells or in the combustion chamber?
This is what I was wondering. I really don't see how it could be in the chamber, though. I'd say this will cost all of $15.00 for valve cover gaskets, eh?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: bolido2000

It was oil. One of the spark plugs was soaked. Almost dripping oil when we first took it out.

Well, I'd say rings on a guess.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

I've never heard of rings soaking the combustion chamber, then again I'm not a seasoned mechanic. He would've noticed massive amounts of smoke coming from the exhause before something like this could happen. My guess is that the oil is coming from the top, I've seen many cases where a bad valve seal/guide have leaked, in multiple motors.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I'd say rings on a guess. "

Even if it went past the rings, it would be burned, so the plug may have carbon on it, but not be wet with oil.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: geno

I've never heard of rings soaking the combustion chamber. He would've noticed massive amounts of smoke coming from the exhause before something like this could happen.

Normally I would agree but my peanut sized brain cant think of anything else right off..... :(

bolido2000

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Right after I changed my spark plugs and started the engine lots of smoke came out of the exhaust. Now everything is normal when I start the car though. The mechanic said something that is the gasket seals that are torn or something like that. Basically he said that the replacing the seals is cheap. Getting to them is what makes fixing this expensive and time consuming.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Right after I changed my spark plugs and started the engine lots of smoke came out of the exhaust. Now everything is normal when I start the car though. The mechanic said something that is the gasket seals that are torn or something like that. Basically he said that the replacing the seals is cheap. Getting to them is what makes fixing this expensive and time consuming.
The seals on what? Valve guides?

We are talking about the electrode end of the plug, right? ;)

Yeah, probably not rings if your plug was soaked with oil. Was it also carbon fouled at all?

It would take a lot of oil to completely squelch combustion...

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I think he is talking about the outside part of the plug. I believe the oil is leaking into the spark plug well. Once he removed the plug the oil enter the combustion camber and produced the white smoke he mentioned in a later post.

Yes, the gaskets aren?t too expensive, but the labor to replace them is high due to the amount of components you need to remove to gain access. I wouldn't buy cheap gaskets either, since this is a know concern on these engine, get the updated Nissan gaskets and do the job right.

Good Luck,
Quixfire

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i was gonna say that the spark plugs are inset in wells on the top of the engine and the valve cover gasket is leaking, allowing oil to seep down into the spark plug wells. it's nothing serious at all.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

Is the plug *soaked* with oil? If so, could be a valve guide/seal or a bad headgasket issue

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!! Turn on your sarcasm detector!!! Pronto!!!!!!

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001

Or Bad rings.