YACT: Please help me unlock my car

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Just liek the topic says, my keys are locked in my car and I don't want to pay $50 to have a locksmith get in. I've jimmied locks before, but I can't get at mine. Any idea what the trick is? Anyone know where I can find that kind of information?

Sorry ATOT if I can't post this, but I've got to try.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Haha, I hate it when that happens.

Don't have any tips for you. My buddy does this all the time. I think he just calls AAA.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
You can pay the locksmith or break the window.....which do you think costs more? Get one of those special plastic credit car keys for future stupidness....mine got me in my car today.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
If my f**king keyless entry system worked, I wouldn't have this problem. I would never manually lock my car door.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Brick

Break the smallest window on the car. Cheaper for you.

Not always true. A co worker did this with the same thinking and the smaller window was about 80 more than the side window would have been.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
You could attempt to use a wire clothes hanger as a makeshift slimjim?

If not, call AAA, they'll have it open in about 20 seconds.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
unbolt your hood from underneath, and trigger the door locks from there.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: mobobuff

Actually a hacksaw blade makes a great slim jim if you cut the right notch in it.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: mobobuff

Actually a hacksaw blade makes a great slim jim if you cut the right notch in it.

Ooh that's a good idea... I'll have to remember that for just such an occassion.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
This happened to me last time. The way to do it is to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the door open slightly about an inch, since the door will bend a bit to a degree. Then slide in a wire coat hanger as a hook to get the keys. I did this once, it is EXTREMELY difficult, especially if you had no experience before. This guy at the parking lot taught me this when I asked them for help. He tried for 30mins to get it out, and he failed. I tried for another hr, before I gave up and called the slimjim/locksmith guys. They ended up not comming after an hour, so I tried some more and finally got it. It was very hard to see what I was doing, because it was so dark at 9PM, and the wire coat hanger was very flimsy. But I'm guessing you have it parked at your house, so you can get good lighting and better materials.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Not that this helps you at all in your current situation, but I had a spare door key made that I now have taped way up under the body of my car in case that happens. It will prevent you from having this happen again...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: virtualgames0
This happened to me last time. The way to do it is to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the door open slightly about an inch, since the door will bend a bit to a degree. Then slide in a wire coat hanger as a hook to get the keys. I did this once, it is EXTREMELY difficult, especially if you had no experience before. This guy at the parking lot taught me this when I asked them for help. He tried for 30mins to get it out, and he failed. I tried for another hr, before I gave up and called the slimjim/locksmith guys. They ended up not comming after an hour, so I tried some more and finally got it. It was very hard to see what I was doing, because it was so dark at 9PM, and the wire coat hanger was very flimsy. But I'm guessing you have it parked at your house, so you can get good lighting and better materials.

Another trick is to try and hit the lock/unlock button with something if you have power locks...

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: virtualgames0

Another trick is to try and hit the lock/unlock button with something if you have power locks...

Sounds a lot easier :beer:
Mine was a 92 corolla, so no power locks :(

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Try a hanger.

I'm not sure if they are the same but the same thing happened to my buddy's old MC way back in 1991.

We didn't know what we were doing and just stuffed a hanger in there pulled up and on the first try it opened. It was amazing how easy it was.

A Civic we got locked out of OTOH never opened.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I've successfully used a coat hanger a couple times. I normally don't unlock the door with the hanger, but put a hook on the end and use it to grab the keys. Most cars you can pull the top of the door away from the roof of the car to get the hanger in there. It's hard to move it around but you can usually get it if you try long enough.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I call 1-800-236-4222, and AAA sends someone within 20 - 30 minutes. Otherwise, some police officers will unlock it for you, but they won't be held responsible if they break the anti-theft shield that protects your door locks.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Brick

Break the smallest window on the car. Cheaper for you.

why are you giving him false advice :p
Smallest window is usually the costliest. It was told to me by auto glass place I frequent due to chips and cracks on the windshields in my families vehicles. ( fvcking dirty ass roads). The guy has been in business for over 25 years and he said if you do have to break glass, break either the larger rear or the front window as it'll be cheaper to replace.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
if you try and slim jim the car, make sure you do it on the passenger side in case you damage the lock.

-=bmacd=-