YACT: Looking to buy my first car soon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: montanafan
Considering the price of gas in Canada, have you thought about a Prius?
You never make up the hybrid premium, not for a good 10 years.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000

Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (I own a 2001)

a) 98-2001 are coupes
b) gets around 22/28 mpg
c) 165hp 166 torque, has plenty of power for passing
d) Subaru's are known for high reliability, winters are nothing for its AWD (I live in Detroit..)
e) You can find them used, might take a while to find the one you want, they are sortof rare
f) its Japanese...

Any questions you have i'll be happy to answer.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
Or how about waiting 3 or 6mnths down the road to see if you still like the job and plan on keeping it. Bad thing to do is to splurge on a vehicle based on future income then absolutely hating your job and wanting to get out at all cost.
This will be a good job...I can't see myself leaving...
Besides, if things go south...VERY unlikely...I can always come back to daddy :p

What do you guys think of the Pontiac GrandPrix??
My dad was considering selling to me (our third car)...I don't really like it, but it's not overly bad...it's a 2002.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll

a) 98-2001 are coupes
b) gets around 22/28 mpg
d) Subaru's are known for high reliability, winters are nothing for its AWD (I live in Detroit..)
e) You can find them used, might take a while to find the one you want, they are sortof rare
f) its Japanese...

Thanks man :)
Might be a little old for what i'm looking for, do you know how much one would be worth?

KokomoGSTmp

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Stunt
So anything Nissan you think is good due to additional torque?
Is that across the whole line? As I'd probably be looking at sentra more than altima :p

Generally Nissan engineers make fairly torquey engines. Just have a look at their factory specs and their engine lineup throughout recent history and you'll see engines with good balance of torque and horsepower.

The Honda Prelude's H22A VTEC engine is considered a "torquey" VTEC motor... compare it's torque max of 156ft/lbs of torque at 5250rpm to the lowly Sentra SE-R @ 4000rpm w/ 180ft/lbs. It's got a large displacement for a 4 cyl engine at 2.5L yet it still retains the nice fuel economy of a 4 cylinder.

They still make Eclipses, but again... they don't make them like they used to and the current new Eclipse with the V6 is pretty pricey.

EDIT: Impreza RS 2001 should be fairly affordable but pricey at around $10k USD... that's a chunk less than 55k Canadian I believe.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll

a) 98-2001 are coupes
b) gets around 22/28 mpg
f) its Japanese...

Thanks man :)
Might be a little old for what i'm looking for, do you know how much one would be worth?

I bought a 2001 in January for $10,500 with 26k miles.

Check out auto trader, yahoo autos, cars.com

Also check RS25 if you want some more info.

You could get a new RS also. Only thing is they are all 4 doors.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Tsunami982
cant go wrong with a mazda 6
Mazda 6 is a big car...just a single guy here, not looking for a family yet :p

KokomoGSTmp

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CraigRT
5th generation Prelude :thumbsup:
That car is pretty bad on gas...:p

?? 27mpg isn't bad at all. It's just gutless... thats the problem. When you're revving the piss out of it to pass a Camry or Accord V6 and still not passing them? Yeah... my friend answered that with "it does what I need it to do"

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: geckojohn
Get manual.. it's the only way to go. That shouldn't even be a question.
Manual all the way for econobox; otherwise it'll suck @$$ driving

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: jerryjg
Number 1. Do NOT buy a new car, unless you can afford to trade it in on another one in 5 or less years.All new cars suck! Especially american cars suck ass. Hondas suck cause they have drivetrain problems. Toyotas used to be the best, but now they have high compression dohc engines that wont last the way they used to, especially in hot climates with the aluminum heaDS. iVE CHECKED IT OUT VERY THOROUGHLY,AND AFTER 2004, THERE ARENT ANYMORE RELIABLE VEHICLES PRODUCED,IF YOU WANT 10 OR 15 YEARS AND A COUPLE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES. iTs a corporate conspiracy, and sure, if you can afford it-go out and buy anything, but if not, get a 2000 to 2004 low compression engine with a SOHC.Toyota or Nissann
Um, just kill yourself now? Thanks

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Sorry, when I saw 55K for some reason I thought 5,500; hehe
For a non-gutless 4-banger w/decent mileage, get a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. 2005 models make 170hp, 180 torque, 6-speed manual w/limited slip diff, sport handling & steering. It is a sedan, but a small one. An Impreza RS is a good choice also; I hear the 2.5L H-4 is strong. I'll be getting a '97 Legacy GT Wagon AWD soon myself. not what I want, but cheap for me & should handle nicely :)

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Basically looking for the cheapest nice car for me.
Taking into account the insurance issue, fuel economy, guts and style.