YACT: Looking to buy my first car soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Originally posted by: Stunt
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Once the new Civic comes out, Acura is releasing a new EL in Canada. The EL sells pretty well up there, even if it is a gussied up Civic. The new model should be decent :)
What is the difference over the Civic, i noticed JDP put Honda over Acura in reliability.

Nothing - better styling, and more "luxury" touches.
How much more for the "luxury" and what is "luxury"?

KokomoGSTmp

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: edi sucks
civic :)

He said not gutless... Honduh = gutless... even the Prelude.

Buy a DSM... 1st generation... 89-94 AWD turbo. Cheap enough to have 2 and totally NOT gutless. Celica, Corolla, RSX, Civic, Prelude, etc.

Reliability problems are mainly from lack of proper maintenance from the increased complexity of having both turbo and true AWD and age.
Otherwise, my second chioce will have to be a Impreza 2.5 RS... the WRX did not come as a coupe in the US at least... don't know about Canada.

jerryjg

Banned
Jul 2, 2005
Number 1. Do NOT buy a new car, unless you can afford to trade it in on another one in 5 or less years.All new cars suck! Especially american cars suck ass. Hondas suck cause they have drivetrain problems. Toyotas used to be the best, but now they have high compression dohc engines that wont last the way they used to, especially in hot climates with the aluminum heaDS. iVE CHECKED IT OUT VERY THOROUGHLY,AND AFTER 2004, THERE ARENT ANYMORE RELIABLE VEHICLES PRODUCED,IF YOU WANT 10 OR 15 YEARS AND A COUPLE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES. iTs a corporate conspiracy, and sure, if you can afford it-go out and buy anything, but if not, get a 2000 to 2004 low compression engine with a SOHC.Toyota or Nissann

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jerryjg
Number 1. Do NOT buy a new car, unless you can afford to trade it in on another one in 5 or less years.All new cars suck! Especially american cars suck ass. Hondas suck cause they have drivetrain problems. Toyotas used to be the best, but now they have high compression dohc engines that wont last the way they used to, especially in hot climates with the aluminum heaDS. iVE CHECKED IT OUT VERY THOROUGHLY,AND AFTER 2004, THERE ARENT ANYMORE RELIABLE VEHICLES PRODUCED,IF YOU WANT 10 OR 15 YEARS AND A COUPLE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES. iTs a corporate conspiracy, and sure, if you can afford it-go out and buy anything, but if not, get a 2000 to 2004 low compression engine with a SOHC.Toyota or Nissann

Go Away Troll. You and your moronic posts are not welcome here.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000

Go away troll.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: KokomoGSTmp

Buy a DSM... 1st generation... 89-94 AWD turbo. Cheap enough to have 2 and totally NOT gutless. Celica, Corolla, RSX, Civic, Prelude, etc.

Reliability problems are mainly from lack of proper maintenance from the increased complexity of having both turbo and true AWD and age.
Otherwise, my second chioce will have to be a Impreza 2.5 RS... the WRX did not come as a coupe in the US at least... don't know about Canada.
What is a dsm.
Are Hondas really gutless?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
get a 2000 to 2004 low compression engine with a SOHC.Toyota or Nissann
Why low compression...higher is better for power and fuel economy.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Honda Civic or Subaru Impreza.

WHERE'S MY DAMN CANADIAN COOKIE, 'eh?

KokomoGSTmp

Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Stunt
Originally posted by: KokomoGSTmp

What is a dsm.
Are Hondas really gutless?

DSM = Diamond Star Motor...
Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser (same car). They are getting more and more difficult to find, especially for our friends up north because of their growing popularity with the sport compact crowd. The same engine code is on the Evo's motor - 4G63T and you still get the same reliable overengineered iron lump.

Without a V6 or forced induction, those cars recommended are completely gutless. Hit the gas going up a long hill... tell me if you accelerate at a decent pace. Then drive a WRX and tell me they're not gutless. Torque is lacking in all those cars mentioned and can only be made with either more displacement (V6s in that approx class do have relatively much more displacement) or turbo/supercharging. RX8 is a similarly gutless car for its lack of torque... my old Eclipse destroyed one uphill and the RX8 had the hp advantage.

If you want a newer non-gutless 4banger without forced induction... try the Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV (has the limited slip differential). It's got plenty of torque in comparison (over 40ft/lbs over Hondas) and it's a Nissan with good mileage and reliability.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
So anything Nissan you think is good due to additional torque?
Is that across the whole line? As I'd probably be looking at sentra more than altima :p

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
The Intrigue has quite a bit of torque, even with 3 passengers and a fully loaded trunk I was able to climb steep grade hills no problem doing 150-160KM/H.

I'm interested in seeing how the torque-less Prelude would do on the same road course when I go to Calgary this fall.

To get any decent uphill speed I'll most likely have to accelerate full throttle heading down hill first to get any momentum.

jerryjg

Banned
Jul 2, 2005
seriusly, you sound like you can afford a new car every so often, so i would say stay away from hondas cause they eat transmissions. i would go with a new Ford 500 or mercury montiego- a grand marquis or ford crown vic if you want something bigger. Lexus camrys and corollas are great, but they dont make em like they used to.- do they still make eclipses?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Or how about waiting 3 or 6mnths down the road to see if you still like the job and plan on keeping it. Bad thing to do is to splurge on a vehicle based on future income then absolutely hating your job and wanting to get out at all cost.