YACT: it's sunny today and was hot in my car, but A/C is not working good

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
My car is 11 years old and I think it needs a shot of Freon. I will look around ebay from the freon itself, but can you buy the filling hose locally?

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Your car prob takes R12, and its reeeeeeeeeeealy expensive (like $90 a pound versus $20 a pound for R134a).

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
You cannot buy R12 anywhere anymore unless you're certified... retrofits just arent the same. :(

EDIT: Just saw those eBay links... and it says no mention of a required EPA certification... uh oh. ;) Thats expensive though. :Q

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Man, it's freaking 90+ here today. It is supposed to cool off tomorrow to the mid 70s.

Then it will probably be 150+ in your car after a few hours of baking in the sun.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
By 1993 most cars were using R-134a.

Also, you CANNOT buy R-12 (Freon) legally unless you have an EPA certification.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bR
You cannot buy R12 anywhere anymore unless you're certified... retrofits just arent the same. :(

EDIT: Just saw those eBay links... and it says no mention of a required EPA certification... uh oh. ;) Thats expensive though. :Q
That depends on the retrofit. A proper retrofit includes a new compressor, a new condensor, and a new receiver/drier. Under no circumstances should a car be changed from R-12 to R-134a without changing the receiver/drier.

If all three componants are changed and replaced with units built for R-134a then the cooling should be equivalent. It's just that R-134a requires a stronger compressor and a larger condensor to cool equivalently. The R-12 and R-134a receiver/driers are not compatible with refridgerants other than the one for which they were designed and problems (i.e. system failure) will result if the receiver/drier is not changed at the minimum.

ZV

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Its been a while since I needed any. Can you still buy 134-a at Sams/Walmart?

gunblade

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2002
I think most car by 1993 have converted to R134a except Honda civic. I think they changed over after 1994.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
'94 is the year that all auto makers were required to use the new refrigerant in the AC.

For a '93, it's a wild card as to which refrigerant was used, and for most '92s, it's probably the old stuff.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD
My car is Freon 12. I know it. I looked at the sticker under the hood.
You're pretty much screwed then. Most places will not touch an R-12 system anymore. You'll most likely be looking at an R-134a retrofit. As I said, make sure that at least the receiver/drier is replaced. A heavier duty compressor and a larger condensor would be good ideas too but they are expensive.

ZV

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I guess you guys aren't getting my question.

I wasn't asking about whether my car used R-12 or where to get R-12. I was asking if I can get the
HOSE locally.

The fittings on older style hose is different than 134a stuff you can get at Wal-Mart.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I guess you guys aren't getting my question.

I wasn't asking about whether my car used R-12 or where to get R-12. I was asking if I can get the
HOSE locally.

The fittings on older style hose is different than 134a stuff you can get at Wal-Mart.
Do you have R-12 that you purchased before 1993? If not, do you have the EPA certification to buy R-12 now?

Unless you can answer yes to one of those questions you cannot legally obtain R-12. And if you cannot legally obtain R-12 then there's no point to having the hoses.

ZV

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Conversions done right are expensive. As Zenmervolt stated the pressures are higher and a larger condenser is to be
seriously considered, as cooling performance will disappoint otherwise. Even then it won't be up to R-12 standards.
Plus the compatibility issue.

The loss of R-12 is generally at the seal behind the compressor's drive pulley. If the car ever tagged something with the front end, the condenser could have a small crack. The hoses have O'rings in their fittings, these may seep also.

You live in a metro area and there are shops that sell recycled R-12. As they do with junked cars, they will drain your R-12, filter it, dry it and refill adding what it needs, once repairs are done. Get an estimate!

Running the AC at least once a week for 10 minuets, no matter what the weather, is the best thing you can do for it.
The oil is in suspension with the freon and running the pump will keep everything wet down with a layer of oil. The compressor drive seal being the most important to keep moist.

Virgin R-12 can be had at a price. $$$ Seek out recycled R-12, it's there, you just got to make the phone calls. ;)

Quix may have something to add or change, as AC is a long suit for him. :)

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
My proffesor was talking about this in his old car. He said they wanted to install a new AC system and it would cost $3000.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: virtueixi
My proffesor was talking about this in his old car. He said they wanted to install a new AC system and it would cost $3000.
He's getting bent over then. Should be about half that unless it's a Porsche or something.

ZV

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
My car is Freon 12. I know it. I looked at the sticker under the hood.
You're pretty much screwed then. Most places will not touch an R-12 system anymore. You'll most likely be looking at an R-134a retrofit. As I said, make sure that at least the receiver/drier is replaced. A heavier duty compressor and a larger condensor would be good ideas too but they are expensive.

ZV

Actually the shop I use prefers to use R12 since its more cost effective then a retrofit. They charge $60 a pound for it. Wait, my statement is incorrect. The shop my friend works for. So I get R12 at shop price. Actually, my R12 is in their recovery unit right now. It was leaking from the valves so I'm gonna replace the hardlines with the valves then recharge it.

And yes, proper R134 conversions are $$$. Usually the problem comes at idle. At cruising speed the difference isn't as noticeable. Same friend got away with it in his Volvo quite easily tho. He just changed the orifice (sp?) valve and charged it up. Damn his AC is COLD!! It meets, if not exceeds, manufacturer specs.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
I did a retrofit on a Reliant many years ago. I replaced the compressor (it was leaking) and the evaporator/drier. I did not replace the condensor. I had a shop draw a vacuum on the system and then fill it with R134. They actually paid me $20 per pound for the R12 that was still in my system.

In my opinion, if you do the labor yourself except for vacuuming the system, then it is pretty cheap. <$500 easily to convert the entire system from R12 to R134.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Which is cheaper, repairing or retrofitting my old A/C system? This question is asked at my shop at least twice a week over the summer months here in Michigan. The question usually varies depending on the facts.

If the vehicle in question has at least 70% of its normal charge left and you can find the leak then I always recommend repairing.

If the system has lost more than 70% of the charge or if the leak is not evident then it might be cost effective to retro fit the system, depending on the cost.

If the system has lost all of it?s charge or has a major component failure, i.e. compressor, condensor, or evaporator, then I would recommend repair & retrofit.

Retrofitting a system can be inexpensive, $99-150.00 to very expensive, $600+, depending on what needs to be replaced to get adequate cooling a safe performance.

Over the years I have serviced just about every make and mode on the road to day. Most cars and light trucks can be serviced in the nominal range of $150-300. The more expensive cars and most European and Japanese makes that have very high tolerances on their R12 systems to begin with. On some vehicle you have to increase the airflow across the condensor to get good pressure at idle and down the road. Also check to see if the engine fan(s) are pulling/pushing enough air across the condensor. I have seen several cars and truck with poor A/C performance due to bad fan clutches or fan motors.

NeoPTLD, without knowing the year, make, or model I cannot advise you on which option to pursue. If your car has lost less than a pound of Freon and you can repair the leak I would recharge it. The hose adaptors for R12 is still available from some local part stores, just check their flyers or ask about them. I bought a replacement can adaptor for my gauges last summer. If it has lost more than that and you need to by R12, then I would convert it. I can help you with determining which components need to be replaced to get adequate cooling.

BTW, I don?t recommend doing A/C service without understanding system pressures and cycling times. It also a good idea to have a set of gauges that can monitor both high and low side pressures at the same time.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Quixfire
Which is cheaper, repairing or retrofitting my old A/C system? This question is asked at my shop at least twice a week over the summer months here in Michigan. The question usually varies depending on the facts.

BTW, I don?t recommend doing A/C service without understanding system pressures and cycling times. It also a good idea to have a set of gauges that can monitor both high and low side pressures at the same time.

Oh oh those are expensive. I guess my car's off to the air conditioning shop.