YACT: I got my new car!! Scion xA

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Just got my new car, and put some new wheels on it. It's a Scion xA, and I freakin love it. I know some of you speed demons will look at it and laugh at it's puny 4 banger engine, but I didn't buy it to race. Only has 108 horsies, but it's light, and the gearing makes it speedier than a corolla/matrix base models from a stop..... freeway acceleration isn't like my old Avalon XLS, but that's to be expected. Typical of a 4 banger. Gas mileage is sweet though, 32 city 38 highway..... so it's a gas sipper. Oh and insurance on it is tons cheaper then my old Avalon XLS too......

Anyhow I just got done giving it the Zaino treatment so its all smooth and uber shiny.

LINKY TO THE PIC linky

PIC 2 LINKY

ZAINOED! LINKY

wicktron

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2002
I don't like that car, but congrats on getting a new car, wish I could get one.

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
now do something about that wheel/fender gap

I think the xA looks pretty good once the goofy tiny wheels are gone.
And is there a possibility of an engine swap with the Celica GTS motor?

-patchy

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ApacheXMD
now do something about that wheel/fender gap

I think the xA looks pretty good once the goofy tiny wheels are gone.
And is there a possibility of an engine swap with the Celica GTS motor?

-patchy

Ya next step is getting my lowering springs..... one thing at a time though. ME = Poor after the car purchase.... haha j/k.... gotta pace myself though. But yeah gonna lower it soon..... now if I could convince the Toyota folks to let me keep my warranty AND get something other then the TRD springs (which are too bouncy for my tastes). I don't know about the motor swap, but I'm happy with the little engine as it is now. If I want the performance, theres superchargers and turbochargers coming out in the near future, but I'd like to keep the reliability of the engine, and the gas mileage.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nice car! Congrats. :)

It should serve you well.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
What got you sold on that car? Was it the price? Got any pics of the interior?

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AnyMal

Price was definitely a factor, the base price for the car was 13800 for the automatic transmission (sadly I had to get it cuz my mom drives it too and she can't do manuals.) Another factor was that it was a Toyota, and I wanted something that was reliable. Most of the stuff came standard, like 4 wheel ABS, Pioneer 6 speaker sound w/mp3 cd player and satellite ready, power windows, power locks, power mirrors.... and it's surprisingly roomy inside, and you sit up fairly high in the seats (like an SUV or van). I thought it looked cooler then anything in its pricerange, and it wasn't just another Civic or Corolla.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LoqT
Just got my new car, and put some new wheels on it. It's a Scion xA, and I freakin love it. I know some of you speed demons will look at it and laugh at it's puny 4 banger engine, but I didn't buy it to race. Only has 108 horsies, but it's light, and the gearing makes it speedier than a corolla/matrix base models from a stop..... freeway acceleration isn't like my old Avalon XLS, but that's to be expected. Typical of a 4 banger. Gas mileage is sweet though, 32 city 38 highway..... so it's a gas sipper. Oh and insurance on it is tons cheaper then my old Avalon XLS too......

Anyhow I just got done giving it the Zaino treatment so its all smooth and uber shiny.

LINKY TO THE PIC linky

PIC 2 LINKY

ZAINOED! LINKY

I dunno about your xA being faster than a corolla. Those cars still weigh next to nothing and run 16 flat in manual. Matrix OTOH towing around an extra ~250 lbs more than the rolla is noticeably slower.

Nice looking car though, are those konig heliums?

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

Price was definitely a factor, the base price for the car was 13800 for the automatic transmission (sadly I had to get it cuz my mom drives it too and she can't do manuals.) Another factor was that it was a Toyota, and I wanted something that was reliable. Most of the stuff came standard, like 4 wheel ABS, Pioneer 6 speaker sound w/mp3 cd player and satellite ready, power windows, power locks, power mirrors.... and it's surprisingly roomy inside, and you sit up fairly high in the seats (like an SUV or van). I thought it looked cooler then anything in its pricerange, and it wasn't just another Civic or Corolla.

Sounds like you got a sweet little ride there... Wonder how much cheaper it would be with standard transmission? Would love to see what it looks like on the inside if you can take some pics.

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: opticalmace
looks nice
how much was it?

After all my options (Fog Lights, Security System, Custom Floor mats, mud guards, extended bumper to bumper 5 year warranty) it came out to 17400, that's including taxes and fees (which I should be getting a refund since I overpaid now that Arnie is in office).

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001

Sounds like you got a sweet little ride there... Wonder how much cheaper it would be with standard transmission? Would love to see what it looks like on the inside if you can take some pics.

Try www.scion.com I don't have any pics of the interior yet....

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: OS

LINKY TO THE PIC linky

PIC 2 LINKY

ZAINOED! LINKY

I dunno about your xA being faster than a corolla. Those cars still weigh next to nothing and run 16 flat in manual. Matrix OTOH towing around an extra ~250 lbs more than the rolla is noticeably slower.

Nice looking car though, are those konig heliums?

They are Velox VX8's. The car accelerates faster then a corolla from the line, but the corolla does pull away at faster speeds especially on the freeway. I've noticed the gearing allows it to accelerate well initially, but at highers speeds it doesn't do as well as a corolla would, which is a drawback to the gearing.

Oct 9, 1999
nice car... i love teh hot hatch look to it..

Looks like those european cars that dont make it here.. anycase i think the xA looks n times better than the squared off xB.

Anyway as for power i can attest to its uphill climb. I was doing about 75-80 coming back from SF -> Sac on I-80 and somewhere in the hills he goes by me at 90mph.. and i was maxed out.

My focus has 110hp & 125ft/lb stock (with the K&N intake maybe a tad bit more) but I am carrying 2 ppl and loads of junk in the trunk (atleast another 50 lb in the trunk).

Anyway that guy was hauling ass....

like i said, i love the hot hatch look.. great price for the car. :)

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wish Mazda and Nissan would get on the ball and bust out with ports of the little wagons/econoboxes they have in japan with turbos and 4WD for dirt cheap prices

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
looks nice
how much was it?

After all my options (Fog Lights, Security System, Custom Floor mats, mud guards, extended bumper to bumper 5 year warranty) it came out to 17400, that's including taxes and fees (which I should be getting a refund since I overpaid now that Arnie is in office).

why must everyone waste money on ugly cars. Congrats on being able to get a new car, but you could have kept a few dollars and bought a delorean. why oh why

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Pocatello
Do you still have the Avalon?

Nah I sold it for 9000.... sold it the first day I had it listed. I miss the ride but it wasn't anywhere near as fun to drive.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
First of all, CONGRATS!!!

Second of all, $17,400 for the Scion Xa????????????????????????? I hope that's Canadian dollars!!!:Q

I mean, I love Toyota and all, but for a car that underpowered, that seems like WAY too much money. Those cars are a great value for the money at their base price, but for close to 18 G's, that's getting into the "big leagues" in the small car category. For that same money, you could have had 160HP in this car:

Mazda 3s 5-door

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
looks nice
how much was it?

$17400!?! Yikes! Even considering the TTL, those options must get expensive!